Bacon - And a Question About Cure/Smoking Times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Good Morning Everyone,

A friend brought over two Costco bellies that after 12 days in the Cure, magically turned into bacon:
IMG_2247.JPG

Put it in the smoker using the A Maze N tube with blend of apple, hickory and cherry:
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG

Done:

IMG_2301.JPG

And sliced:
IMG_2309.JPG

I always use Cure #1 and I am diligent about measuring it. I use the dry curing method, put it in a baggie, massage it and turn it daily for 12-14 days, rinse and in the smoker.

I generally run it at about 165-175 and I aim for an IT of 165 ish, usually takes 4-5.5 hours. This time, I had trouble with times, which ranged from 157 - 190 and the belly seemed to stall at about 130 and just sat there, and it took a bit over 6 hours to hit and IT of 145 which was good enough since we fry/cook it before eating.

Since I use Cure #1, I am sure the bacon is fine at that temp and time on the smoke. Fried some up and it was yummy!!!

Going 6 hours was a first for me . I like to warm/hot smoke but I am warming (Ha Ha - see what I did there :emoji_wink:) to the idea of cold smoking. From my reading, at cold smoking temps, generally under 110, you can smoke for up to 24 - 36 hours over a couple days. I have not seen discussion of long smokes at the higher temps, 130 - 140, but I assume with Cure #1 that even at those temps you can smoke for an extended period (6 + hours). And I do know that smoking IS a different process than cooking. You would think I get this, but.......

So, having said all that, when using Cure with your bacon, assuming it is done correctly, how long can it smoke safely??? This is more of a reassurance question since for all years we learn thing, it is impressed upon us to cook safely at the correct temps. I am just having trouble wrapping my head around smoking at ambient temps for a long period. If/when I venture into the cold smoking area, I would probably do 6 hours a day over a couple days, refrigerating at night.

Thanks. I know I have asked this in various forms before, and as I get more experience, I am more comfortable moving outside my comfort zone..... But I still gotta ask....

Have a Great Weekend!!

I dry cure/rub my bacon bellies... Then I cold smoke below 70F for about 24-36 hours with 2 smoke sessions of 6 hours....
Then I slice and freeze.... I don't like cooking it twice....

Thank You Daveomak!!! Appreciate your help. As you can tell, I am still wrapping my head around smoking at low-ish temps for a long time - even though I always use Cure #1. Bah.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky