Babybacks vs. Country style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RrmyGuy

Original poster
May 14, 2022
I've been smoking country style a lot lately, to where it seems that they're my go to. I can get great smoke penetration, I get them juicy and tender, and tasting great with the right rub. But I miss eating that delicious meat of those rib bones. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Attachments

• 20220515_182931.jpg
    20220515_182931.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210527_175000.jpg
    20210527_175000.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 18
I totally agree, but around here the country style are always available and very affordable. Sometimes I have to store hop to find quality babybacks and they can get a bit pricey lately.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I've been smoking country style a lot lately, to where it seems that they're my go to. I can get great smoke penetration, I get them juicy and tender, and tasting great with the right rub. But I miss eating that delicious meat of those rib bones. What are your thoughts on the subject?
Hi there and welcome!

I personally like baby backs the best of bone in ribs.
With that said I do amazing "boneless" ribs by taking a pork butt, rolling it and cutting big flat slabs out of it.
Pork butt/shoulder/boston butt is where CSR's come from so its the same cut.

I just make 2-3 long flat slabs out of a pork butt and smoke em like ribs and omg sooooooo good. Better than St Louis to me.

I like the meatiness of baby backs over spare/st. louis ribs, BUT I love them all.

If you want even less expensive CSR's just buy a pork butt/shoulder and cut your own :)

Reactions: RrmyGuy
CSR's are great, especially the bone-in cuts from the loin close to the shoulder.
Almost 40 years ago when I cut meat for Winn Dixie, that was the only country style ribs we had, never made them out of butts. The 1st 5 bones from the rib end of a pork loin were made into CSRs. But smoking wasn't nearly as big of a thing as it is now.

I also prefer spare ribs...

Almost 40 years ago when I cut meat for Winn Dixie, that was the only country style ribs we had, never made them out of butts. The 1st 5 bones from the rib end of a pork loin were made into CSRs. But smoking wasn't nearly as big of a thing as it is now.

I also prefer spare ribs...
Yes'sir, those are the true pork CSR's.
The butt cuts are good, but the loin cuts are better!

I've come to like St Louis the best. I had given up on CSR's. Just can't seem to make tender but I been grilling them. Guess I need to try to smoke them.
Brian
Tenderize via brining, then low smoke and sear.
Or
Tenderize via brining, then sous vide and sear.

For a brine I either use just water/salt or soda such as Cherry Coke or Cherry Dr. Pepper.
You could also use some fresh fruits, e.g.
Pineapple in a salt brine.

I don't do Babybacks, I mean as in never have, I'm a St. Louis fan.

CSR's are great, especially the bone-in cuts from the loin close to the shoulder.

View attachment 643791
I’m with you. I feel like most people prefer baby backs, and I’ve done plenty of them, but I’m a St Louis guy too. They taste better and pound for pound they cost less.

Reactions: negolien
Hi there and welcome!

I personally like baby backs the best of bone in ribs.
With that said I do amazing "boneless" ribs by taking a pork butt, rolling it and cutting big flat slabs out of it.
Pork butt/shoulder/boston butt is where CSR's come from so its the same cut.

I just make 2-3 long flat slabs out of a pork butt and smoke em like ribs and omg sooooooo good. Better than St Louis to me.

I like the meatiness of baby backs over spare/st. louis ribs, BUT I love them all.

If you want even less expensive CSR's just buy a pork butt/shoulder and cut your own :)
Smoke them just like ribs? Like 3-2-1?

Reactions: RrmyGuy
STLs or spares for this house.
CSRs are better in a pot full of kraut and taters.
But, I'd never turn down que'd CSRs either.
Just my 2¢ worth.

Reactions: chopsaw
I only smoke untrimmed whole spares. Cheap and easy. I've trimmed them to SLCs, but prefer to leave 'em whole.

CSRs usually get an hour or two in the smoke, then get turned into chili verde or some other braised dish.

I haven't purchased BBs in years. Just not a fan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky