Baby Backs via "Slap Yo Daddy" and "Smokin Trigger"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bama bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Rocket City (Huntsville) AL
I have the day off and am working in the yard so I decided to go visit Frank (my butcher) to see what kind of baby backs he has.  He left quite a bit of meat on the bone after trimming the chops off one rack so I picked it up and brought it home.  I also found some Tiger Sauce "try me" size so it sparked an idea to try the Smokin Trigger's method (even though he uses St Louis Spares).  I was also reading the insights of Harry Soo who says he liked to go about 275* for ribs so I decided to try it as well. Since it's just one rack I just went with the Kettle

5d7f9a1c_IMG_0708.jpg

1a8bc61a_IMG_0709.jpg

About 2.5 hours into it, the meat was pulling back nicely from the bone so I decided to wrap per Johnny Trigg with brown sugar, parkay, agave nectar (sub for honey), and Tiger Sauce. I can't wait to unwrap these puppies and coast in the last hour!

307a2e79_IMG_0710.jpg

8c281265_IMG_0712.jpg

more to follow....

Where in Huntsville do you live?  I am in Madison.....and where is the Butcher????  You gotta share!
biggrin.gif

After an hour wrapped in foil and then another hour unwrapped and spritzed with apple juice, the wait was well worth it.  The ribs were meaty, sweat, spicy, and TENDER! 

9d8d3156_IMG_0713.jpg

1d2eb81a_IMG_0714.jpg

Where in Huntsville do you live?  I am in Madison.....and where is the Butcher????  You gotta share!
biggrin.gif
I am over the mountain in New Market.  Frank works at the local grocery store.  I go there because its close, they have "good enough" meat, and we talk.  Though I hear there's a new actual butcher shop that just opened near Hampton Cove.  These ribs were VERY good.

I've seen the parkay being used alot & really can't see the reasoning? I've been told its for sheen, & sometimes they say flavor? I've tried it a few times myself & can't seem any discernible difference? Did you notice any?

Ribs look off the hook by the way!!

They look great! I just picked up a Weber OTS and have been experimenting with it. Going to attempt a chuck roast on it tomorrow and then ribs and a butt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky