Attempting my first rack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AnotherSmokerNewb

Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
As some of you know, I just joined the forum this week after a neighbor gave me his Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (Gen 2.5 based on Bear's pics). As luck would have it Winn Dixie had a BOGO sale on ribs this week so I picked up 4 slabs (@ 3.5 lbs each).

Welp, after researching recipes, sauces etc..the time has come to make my FIRST ATTEMPT into smoking some ribs and preparing a meal.

My question to the experienced smokers and meal preparers, any tips or tricks that you've learned through the trial and error process that you can pass along....or is smoking more of a make your own mistakes and learn from them type of hobby?

EDIT::: Smoking had to be delayed until tomorrow...Bad Thunderstorms popped up just as I was turning smoker on...knocked out power for a few hours.:emoji_disappointed:

Last edited:
Good luck hope they turn out great for you.
My way is low and slow 225 temp. I don't wrap. Yes it is a learn what works for you trial and error thing. A lot of things and ways of doing them is personal preference.

Warren

Reactions: sandyut
Are these baby backs or spares?

For your first set of ribs, I may recommend reviewing Jeff site for a detailed outline of the process. they are not hard tho.

I use olive oil or mustard as the glue for the rub to stick to the ribs, I rub right before I start the smoker. Spark it up at 225-250 and once stable load them. Many use the 3-2-1 method. three hours smoke, 2 hours wrap, 1 hour smoke with or without sauce basted on.

I have move to the no wrap method, just smokem till done - with the bend test, probe temp check etc.

there are many different methods. try them see see what you like just like HalfSmoked HalfSmoked said above :)

I too just did my first racks. I did the 3-2-1 method @ 230ish and everyone loved them. For me there was something missing from what I had anticipated. I am going to do two more racks this weekend and I don't plan to wrap.
Chris

Attachments

• RIB.jpg
    RIB.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 26
  • RIBS.jpg
    RIBS.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: kruizer
Are these baby backs or spares?

For your first set of ribs, I may recommend reviewing Jeff site for a detailed outline of the process. they are not hard tho.

I use olive oil or mustard as the glue for the rub to stick to the ribs, I rub right before I start the smoker. Spark it up at 225-250 and once stable load them. Many use the 3-2-1 method. three hours smoke, 2 hours wrap, 1 hour smoke with or without sauce basted on.

I have move to the no wrap method, just smokem till done - with the bend test, probe temp check etc.

there are many different methods. try them see see what you like just like HalfSmoked HalfSmoked said above :)

I too just did my first racks. I did the 3-2-1 method @ 230ish and everyone loved them. For me there was something missing from what I had anticipated. I am going to do two more racks this weekend and I don't plan to wrap.
Chris
I was going to use the 3-2-1 method as well...was planning on using hickory for smoking, apple juice for step 2, and stubbs for the final step since I'm uncertain of my bbqing talents...but seriously leaning toward Jeff's recipes for rubs and sauces in the future.

Al...by chance are you somewhere in the Sunshine State..reason I ask is because you mentioned Publix in your perfect Ribs...I'm presently outside Tampa in Hillsborough County, having a home built in Manatee County (closer to Bradenton/Sarasota) this spring, anticipating a early fall move in date.

Well this is the finished product. I need to learn to be better organized as I kept losing heat from opening door for steps 2 and 3 of 3-2-1 cooking. Also learned not to buy St.Louis style ribs...very little meat on bottom. Little too much smoke, but overall a good meal.
20200419_180317.jpg

Can someone smarter than me, since I’ve never smoked a slab and tomorrow is my first, comment on what he said above about not buying St Louis ribs because no meat on the bottom?

I thought St. Louis were supposed to be the best.

Can someone smarter than me, since I’ve never smoked a slab and tomorrow is my first, comment on what he said above about not buying St Louis ribs because no meat on the bottom?

I thought St. Louis were supposed to be the best.
I really think what the butcher at the supermarket did was cut the meat off the bottom of the slab and packaged them as another piece of meat. I didn't notice this until I was ready to cut the membrane off and saw that there was only meat on the top side of slab. I was of the impression that the bone should run through the meat so I could eat around it...just not off the top of the bones.

Reactions: FreddieKU
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky