Attempting home made pasta for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I was watching a few videos on making pasta today and it made me hungry enough to give it a go.

2023_pasta_001.jpg

After running it thru the roller to level 5 I moved to the Fettuccine cutter.

2023_pasta_002.jpg

I made a flour mess in the kitchen but it worked.

2023_pasta_003.jpg

The start of the sauce. I also had just cooked Italian sausage sitting on the side. I didn't get an after pic on that.

2023_pasta_004.jpg

The verdict. Yes home made pasta is very much better that dried pasta. It is also much easier to make than I expected.

2023_pasta_005.jpg

Really nice . Looks perfect . What was the mix for the pasta ? Eggs , yolks , or a combination of both . Any semolina ?
My basic mix is 50 / 50 AP flour and semolina with whole eggs . I've also done all yolks .
Lately I've been messing with all semolina and just water . It freezes better than the egg pasta . You nailed that for a first run .

1687312580357.png

Really nice . Looks perfect . What was the mix for the pasta ? Eggs , yolks , or a combination of both . Any semolina ?
My basic mix is 50 / 50 AP flour and semolina with whole eggs . I've also done all yolks .
Lately I've been messing with all semolina and just water . It freezes better than the egg pasta . You nailed that for a first run .

View attachment 668557

I used all purpose flour. I will have to look somewhere else for 00 or semolina since Walmart near me only has all purpose.

I started with 2 cups of flour with 2 large eggs and 1 teaspoon of salt. The eggs were not that big so I had leftover flour. You can see it in the first pic I posted.

Very nice…..I’ve never made it but the wife and daughter have….. but they are rationed cause of the over consuming they cause!

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I used all purpose flour. I will have to look somewhere else for 00 or semolina since Walmart near me only has all purpose.
I'd say you don't need to change anything . Looks great to me . I was just wondering because pasta recipes are all over the place .
I just did the semolina and water because eggs were so high , and I also wanted something I could do in advance .
I have the old family recipe from my wife's family . It's AP , whole eggs and water .
I use this mat . Works good , but I also have a large SS bowl with low sides .
1687347244945.png

Nice! I'd been doing the wider noodles and tried spaghetti size, but they taste the same and the wider ones are easier to deal with.
I had the impression that 00 was basically just all purpose flour....

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Nice! I'd been doing the wider noodles and tried spaghetti size, but they taste the same and the wider ones are easier to deal with.
I had the impression that 00 was basically just all purpose flour....
00 is the fineness that the flour is ground to. It is available for each type of flour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky