Pasta Alla Genovese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Made this a couple nights ago. I had about 6# of trim from the whole rump I bought recently to make Bresaola, And after thinking bout it, decided to make Genovese Pasta with it. This is an Italian Onion Gravy pasta and it is SO good! I only used half of the meat, about 3#. Fried that in olive oil/beef fat in 2 batches to brown really nicely...
IMG_20230907_130803.jpg

IMG_20230907_133407.jpg

Pulled out the first pancetta I made last year, Pancetta Stagionata, and cut some 1/4" slices to dice...
IMG_20230907_130941.jpg

IMG_20230907_133011.jpg

Used about 1/2 a pound of pancetta. Put that in the pot after the beef was done....
IMG_20230907_133403.jpg

Next add the carrots and celery....
IMG_20230907_134314.jpg

Cook that for about 5 minutes...then add the beef back in along with white wine...
IMG_20230907_134836.jpg

Next add 8# of onions. Yep you read that right....8# of onions!
I had to add in two batches to let then cook down a bit to fit them all in the pot. Here it is after 20 minutes...
IMG_20230907_135411.jpg

Hour and a half in...I am adding beef stock to the pot as the moisture cooks out.
IMG_20230907_152745.jpg

And another hour and a half later...done....adjust salt and pepper...boil penne pasta...
IMG_20230907_162708.jpg

Then mix all together and plate...
IMG_20230907_171345.jpg

Final touch-fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese...
IMG_20230907_171530.jpg

I'd skip the cheese , but that looks fantastic . Right up my alley .
I like the fresh grated cheese , but that beef looks to good to cover up for my taste .
Nice meal .
That picture before the cheese is killing me . Really nice .

Reactions: indaswamp
I'd skip the cheese , but that looks fantastic . Right up my alley .
I like the fresh grated cheese , but that beef looks to good to cover up for my taste .
Nice meal .
That picture before the cheese is killing me . Really nice .
Thanks Chop! I like it either way.
I'll take Rich's share of the cheese. Inda that looks so goooood - Heavenly.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! Cook the onions on med.- med. low heat. You want them to caramelize slowly and not burn. Stir often scraping the bottom...add more stock as needed to continue braising.

Dang nice and delicious looking meal Inda. Nice work for sure.
Thanks SE! Note- I did not remove any of the beef or pancetta fat. This is a hearty dish. A rib sticker....great for those cold winter nights! I did add a little xanthan gum to the finish to help emulsify the fats...that helped with the final presentation too....gave the sauce that sheen and supple mouth feel. Also used some Sodium I+G.....Wow what a flavor kicker!! I am really starting to like that stuff!

Man looks and sounds amazing. I bookmarked it to do something similar soon! Xanthan and Glucomannon are both awesome to emulsifying and incorporating the fat. I like the gluco more these days as you can use a bit more without getting a slimy mouthfeel.

Reactions: indaswamp
jcam- here is the youtube I followed loosely...

He does not carmelize the onion. I highly suggest you do.

Note, I live in the Jambalaya Capital of the world, Gonzales, Louisiana. There is a local variation made with pasta instead of rice, a.k.a. Pastalaya. It is good, but this Genovese blows it out of the water. The pancetta really gives the dish depth and a ton of umami!

The color of the sauce was incredible before you mixed them! It all looked delicious! Can I get a side order of that gravy please?

Ryan

Looks most awesome

Sure beats bologna sammich.

And the pizza I just had. The skills of you guys blows me away and just reminds me of what a noob I am in the cooking arena!

Jim

That looks heavenly

That looks so good!

The color of the sauce was incredible before you mixed them! It all looked delicious! Can I get a side order of that gravy please?

Ryan

Pretty sure I'd OD on this! Point for sure Keith!
Thanks Guys!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky