Another Newbie from Minnesota

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lph

Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Minnesota
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple months and really appreciate all the information you share. I am fairly new to this smoking thing and everything I know has come from y'all.

I started with a cheap charcoal smoker but never had good results due to 2 things: The weather in MN and my kids keeping me too busy with all their hockey, baseball, lacrosse, etc. The answer was a new Masterbuilt Electric, I love it. My kids keep reminding me that I have become a bit obsessed, but the wife is starting to get used to my new "smoke" cologne.

Not everything I have done has been perfect, but it's getting better all the time. Last night I used Jeff's Naked Rub and his sauce on some babybacks. Everyone agreed they were the best ribs they had ever eaten. For any other newbies out there, Jeff's recipes are as good as everyone on here says, well worth the price.

Anyway, thank you for all the great advice. I look forward to all your help with my new obsession.

Welcome to SMF, The MES is a great smoker, did you get the 30" or the 40"?

Make sure you build a good windscreen for the MES and most winter problems go away. I had a bit of problem with the controller getting too cold in the wind and acting up a bit. So now in really cold windy weather I simply lay a wash towel on top of my MES controller which keeps it above freezing at all times. Problem solved. Other than that its a great machine.

I wish I got the window one though. Bought mine a year too soon I guess.

30" - didn't know any better. I wish I had the larger window one as well.

Welcome to SMF and congrats on the new smoker. Funny seems most of our families seem to think we're a bit obsessed with smoking
biggrin.gif
but they sure enjoy eating it don't they. One of the nice things is we do get to eat our mistakes and they usually taste pretty good. Have fun and happy smoking

First off welcome to SMF. You already know how good the place is so I'm glad you came out of the darkness and saw the light. We are always glad to have new people here cause they might just look at things and little differant then we do and that always make for some really differant way to do things. I hope you have the how to's and what if's on the whole Qview thing and if not go here:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
and it will show you how to post pictures so we can see what your smoking on and with and what your smoking. So hurry and go get something to smoke.
Welcome To The Addiction

"Getting so much better all the time..."
Now I have to go listen to some Beatles
icon_smile.gif

Make sure to remind the family that it is a thin line between obsession and love, delicious smoky love.

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse, you can find it here it's "FREE"...5 Day e Course

Everyone here enjoys seeing the qview so be sure to post plenty of pics... Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to photobucket I always use the Large img setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

Hey LPH,

I did the same as you. I got the ECB (lost some sleep) then got the MES. I'm very happy with the MES. Good luck with it and hope your wife likes the results.

Mark

Welcome aboard from a fellow Minnesotan. Where are you at in Mn? Im outside of Preston, the SE corner. Glad to have you here.

Getting o be a good gathering of Minnesotans on this board. Glad to have you. I am just south of Duluth near Cloquet.
I know what you mean about the MN weather being a smoke stopper. I resort to grilling in the cool fall and winter months. I use a snp which I really like but the cool temps just pull too much heat from it. It takes way too much babysitting and wood and lump for a prolonged smoke in the winter months.

3montes;351774 said:
Getting o be a good gathering of Minnesotans on this board. Glad to have you. I am just south of Duluth near Cloquet.
I know what you mean about the MN weather being a smoke stopper. I resort to grilling in the cool fall and winter months. I use a snp which I really like but the cool temps just pull too much heat from it. It takes way too much babysitting and wood and lump for a prolonged smoke in the winter months.

Hey 3M - I spend a lot of time in your neck of the woods (kids hockey tourneys in Duluth and Cloquet, great times!). Just wish I could remember some of the watering holes we visited. I'm a Cidiot from Maple Grove but love to visit the North Shore and Boundary Waters. Thanks for the welcome.

Hello Meat Hunter. As I told 3Montes, I'm a Cidiot from Maple Grove, but I spent a great weekend chasing turkeys in your neck of the woods. Just wish i could find more time to hunt meat.......Maybe after the kids are done with all their sports. It would sure give me some more options for my new obsession. Come to think of it, I still have some pheasants in the freezer from last fall, you guys have any suggestions?

To Gnubee and everyone else - Thanks for the welcomes. This forum is without a doubt the friendliest I have ever visited. You wouldn't believe some of the hostility on youth sports forums, there's a lot of psycho parents out there.

Anyway, I will keep the towel idea in mind when smokin' in a blizzard. Thanks!

Welcome LPH to the SMF family , It takes time and patients to become a great smoker !!!! I've got a GOSM and I insulated it and built a wind break for it and no excuse for smoking in Minnesota now !!!!

welcome to the forum LPH!!! i also from minnesota, near st cloud... you get hung up on this and it dont get cold enuff to stop the smoke!!! makes cold smoking reality!!! cant wait to see ssome of your qview!! ck out the 5 day ecourse if ya already havent...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky