Another Kettel chicken.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you. So do you run the fire like an offset and build a coal bed then feed it splits?

No. No coals at all. I just start a full chimney of small (golfball to baseball size) chunks of real wood. I start the chimney on a propane burner. They will smoke heavily at first then turn black (you can turn off the propane burner once they get going good). Let them rage until they start to ash over just as if you were starting charcoal. Dump them in your kettle whether that's right on the grate like you did here in an indirect method, or in a basket, vortex or however you would normally use fully lit coals. Works direct or indirect, but fire does burn a bit hotter. I haven't tried longer "splits" in the chimney starter, but I imagine that should work too. I just zip up branches or 2-3 inch diameter pieces into chunks or "pucks" on an Dewalt Miter saw and toss them in a 5 gallon bucket for use.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just start a full chimney of small (golfball to baseball size) chunks of real wood.
Or if your just cooking for yourself , just leave it in the chimney .
20190216_173005.jpg

Or if your just cooking for yourself , just leave it in the chimney .
I don't recommend a Rube Goldberg approach to it, but I've always felt there's a market for a sturdy adapter from a chimney to a Smokey Joe-sized grate (e.g. a "Vortex" with a shallower cone angle) so that two steaks or 4 burgers could be accommodated safely.
It's kinda' what a Smokey Joe is intended for, but it would cut out the middleman so to speak. Little easier to clean up, little easier to pack for camping, and a little safer (given the handle) for dumping hot coals.

I made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal for my smokey Joe. When I have leftover charcoal in it from the last smoke/grill I just give it a quick shake and set it over the propane burner to get lit. Then a big pair of channel locks with gloves to transfer back in the Joe. No starter needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky