Another AMNPS-MES Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Actually I threw that valve away, for this application I hooked the tubing into the fitting since the air flow is so light. If you want more air you can upgrade the pump but I would not get too wild with the air pressure. Here's a pic of my AMAZEN.

Good Luck

Bear in Texas
If you want to use the flat AMN I suppose you could put foil over it an leave the far end open.

Yes sir, it's a low steady flow just enough to keep the pellets smoldering an smoking. The pump I use is the Tetra whisper air pump from wally world can't even hear it running. A 1/4" nipple long enough to go thru the wall of the MES, some tubing for the pump with a pushon fitting that will fit the tubing and 1/4" nipple. 
That is a really cool idea! Thanks

I'm blessed with a damp basement (being I am almost totally surrounded by water and the almost part is my laneway)  so I have a dehumidifier going 24-7  in there . My wood pellets and wood bits sit in the room where I keep the dehumidifier going, I don't have a problem with either going out in my mes 30

My AMNPS arrives today! but I anticipate a problem. Back when I grilled I timed my cooking with drinking a beer. If this thing is really as self tending as you say it is and I believe you, I may have to give up drinking while cooking. This was usually the only time I drink.

Everybody has their priorities Bilgeslime. Mine is I don't grill or smoke without a cold one or my fav mixed drink, now things get pretty wild around here when I'm doing one of those 12 to 14 hour Brisket cooks. I know, I know it aint right but somebodies got to do it an I'm always the lucky I mean the one whats gotta do it round here. If you get my drift. Now in your case you've still got to keep the smoke rolling therefore your still good to go with the koolaid. 

Happy Smoking

no pun tended

Bear in Texas

My AMNPS arrives today! but I anticipate a problem. Back when I grilled I timed my cooking with drinking a beer. If this thing is really as self tending as you say it is and I believe you, I may have to give up drinking while cooking. This was usually the only time I drink.
You can still drink a beer while using the AMNPS. Just take very small sips or get yourself one of these self-refilling beer glasses and don't plan on leaving your chair till the smokin's done.
cheers.gif

My solution to keeping the amnps lit was accidentally discovered.
I began smoking with a home made smoke generator which meant I had had a venturi pump and a 3/4'' pipe into my smoker.
So when I got my amnps I had some wood that was laying there that was the exact width of the pellet tray. So I made a temporary wood 'garage' and slid the tray in, taped it up and lit the smoker.
So the venturi pump creates the draft over the pellet bed, and pumps the smoke in as well. Perhaps the tight fit of the tray in the garage is helping increase the draft. It does work. I am going to remake it in steel asap

Smokin RonB

I have found placing the pellets in the smoker "unlit" while the smoker comes up to temp helps prepare the pellets for lighting. As a matter of fact the TBS will begin to occur before they are lit!!!!

Has anybody tried the amazen pellet tube and what do you think of it...also would you recommend the 6" or 12"?
Well, I'm a little prejudice, but I think it works GREAT!

The only diff between the 6" and 12" Tube is the duration of burn.  The 6" smokes for 2 hours and the 12" smokes for 4 hours
The MAZE burns up to 12 hours, and was designed for use in my own MES 40 over 4 years ago.  Produces plenty of smoke for a MES, but of you think you need more smoke, light both ends

SMF Members get 10% off sitewide
Coupon Code = SMF2016

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or call me at work or my cell anytime.

Todd Johnson - Owner
A-MAZE-N Products

W 651 352-2831

C 952 412-0484

Todd, Does all your smoker tubes or the a-maze-n take pellets? I wanted one for using wood chips or chunks.

Todd, Does all your smoker tubes or the a-maze-n take pellets? I wanted one for using wood chips or chunks.
My gadgets were designed to use sawdust or pellets

That said, some customers do use chips with success

Todd

Hi Todd, you say you put a foil pan on the bottom, does that mean you take out the drip pan that comes with the MES30 ? Also you say place the amnps on the top hole for the water pan ? Not sure what that is, can you clarify ? Also should the wood chip tray just be taken out since I wouldn't be using it ?

Last edited:
Hi Todd, you say you put a foil pan on the bottom, does that mean you take out the drip pan that comes with the MES30 ? Also you say place the amnps on the top hole for the water pan ? Not sure what that is, can you clarify ? Also should the wood chip tray just be taken out since I wouldn't be using it ?
In case Todd doesn't see your questions:

Apparently you have a Gen #2, so I would say Todd must have said to remove the little water pan from the square hole in the left end of that slanted drip plate. Then set AMNPS over that hole left by removing the water pan. Then set a foil pan under that square hole, in case any drips run down the slanted drip plate & drip through that hole under the AMNPS.

If that doesn't make sense, you must not have a Gen #2 MES.

I never remove my chip tray.

Bear

It doesn't make sense to me, I just bought the unit a couple weeks ago so I would think it is a GEN 2, but maybe not. . Here is a picture of what it looks like inside, the chip holder and water tray in this one are the exact ones that came with my unit

Last edited:

It doesn't make sense to me, I just bought the unit a couple weeks ago so I would think it is a GEN 2, but maybe not. . Here is a picture of what it looks like inside, the chip holder and water tray in this one are the exact ones that came with my unit

Southsider- That's a Gen 1! Good job finding that! Its a goodie!

See those horizontal rods on the bottom just left of the burner and chip tray? Just light your ANMPS real good and slide it on to those rods.

Like Browneye said, "That is a Generation #1, and you put the AMNPS on the support rods to the left of the Chip burner assembly." The AMNPS was actually designed (sized) to fit in that specific Gen #1 MES 30.

The answers I gave above (Post #254) were for the Generation #2 that your questions pertained to.

Bear

Incidentally... I have found that that oval drip pan doesn't cover the AMNPS from drips very well. I have taken mine out and I use one of those rectangular (foil lined) disposable aluminum pans, and that fits in there pretty good in the same spot it and protects the Amazn better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky