Another AMNPS-MES Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I am wanting to use it for Jack Daniels Pellets which I found on my first try with them on my 5 x 8 MAZE that they don't provide as much smoke as the other pellets. This was confirmed by Todd that they don't provide as much smoke because they are made from the charcoal the whiskey is filtered thru and not from the raw chips of the barrels. Todd said the charcoal won't provide as much smoke as pellets.
Hmmmm---I never used them, but that makes sense.

However if Todd said that, you can take it to the Bank!!

Bear

I fill mine over half way full, shake it side ways to level without the open cap.  I torch the pellets at the bottom of the opening then underneath through the perforated stainless steel to get a good cherry at the bottom.  The open ended cap covers holes at the end of the tube smoker,  blocking ventilation when lighting.  I put a round shot glass in the opening that fits perfectly in the AMNTS when shaking side ways to level the pellets and to set them back an inch from the open edge.  I then remove the shot glass before lighting.  Seems to be ready in 10 minutes.

-Kurt
So you don't light the Tube when full of pellets or use it full of pellets, only using it half full?

Last edited:

A full tube puts out a lot of smoke so I put in 1.3 to 1.5 cups. 

-Kurt
Kurt, how long does that last?

Since Jack Daniels pellets smoke less than Hickory and others, I may have to use a full tube on JD. I will just have to try and see and go from there.

Until I gain more experience with these pellets, my plan at the moment is to use the 5 x 8 MAZE on all pellets except Jack Daniels pellets and the Tube when using Jack Daniels pellets.

Kurt, how long does that last?

Since Jack Daniels pellets smoke less than Hickory and others, I may have to use a full tube on JD. I will just have to try and see and go from there.

Until I gain more experience with these pellets, my plan at the moment is to use the 5 x 8 MAZE on all pellets except Jack Daniels pellets and the Tube when using Jack Daniels pellets.
1.3-1.5 C. lasts 4+ hrs.  I remember you mentioning that JD pellets don't put out as much  smoke.  Load it full with JD and let us know.  I don't like the open ended cap for lighting.  I'm going to cut less than half of the ring that covers the perforated steel so I have an area to light through the perforated steel from underneath, but it will slide on and stay.  The front of the open cap is good to keep the pellets in the tube.  I'm waiting for a new Gen 1 from MB and will have to place an order to Todd for the AMNPS.  I really like the 12" AMNTS.

-Kurt

My only problem with amnps is burning to much ! It sometime jumps to the second and starts burning two rows at the same time. Maybe I'm filling it up to much ?

My only problem with amnps is burning to much ! It sometime jumps to the second and starts burning two rows at the same time. Maybe I'm filling it up to much ?
I had this happen once when my temps were too high at startup because of the crazy temp swings in the beginning. 

Last edited:

1.3-1.5 C. lasts 4+ hrs.  I remember you mentioning that JD pellets don't put out as much  smoke.  Load it full with JD and let us know.  I don't like the open ended cap for lighting.  I'm going to cut less than half of the ring that covers the perforated steel so I have an area to light through the perforated steel from underneath, but it will slide on and stay.  The front of the open cap is good to keep the pellets in the tube.  I'm waiting for a new Gen 1 from MB and will have to place an order to Todd for the AMNPS.  I really like the 12" AMNTS.

-Kurt
I hope to use the Tube with JD pellets sometime this week. Yeah, I plan to fill it up. Is it hard to light thru that hole on the open end?

I used the 5 x 8 MAZE with Hickory Pellets  today. Lit both ends, pulled chip dumper out 2" with dump side down and had great smoke the entire time. No problem at all keeping the AMPS lit.

Last edited:

I hope to use the Tube with JD pellets sometime this week. Yeah, I plan to fill it up. Is it hard to light thru that hole on the open end?

I used the 5 x 8 MAZE with Hickory Pellets  today. Lit both ends, pulled chip dumper out 2" with dump side down and had great smoke the entire time. No problem at all keeping the AMPS lit.
It's not hard to light I just want the cherry red coals to be on the bottom so the burn is complete and not just the top half of the pellets.

-Kurt

I was going to answer thiss last night, but I got interrupted by a knock on my door!!!

The most often cause for row jumping in an AMNPS, with pellets is because it is filled too full, because the higher you go in the row, the closer the burning pellets get to the ones in the next row. That's why Todd made the interior walls the way they are. The single walled AMNS can jump rows with dust in it, just by having the Smoker temp over 220°. The Pellets produce even more heat, so he came up with the design of the AMNPS to fix that problem.

Also Some people put them too close to the heating element, which can also cause this.

Bear

Todd,

I want to add the 4-inch elbow to my MAES Gen 2 smoker.  The vent is on the side of the smoker and I'm trying to keep my AMNPS lit.  How did you attach the 4-inch elbow?

Thank you!

Lisa
Lisa,

You simply unscrew and remove the damper (vent) and push in the 90 degree elbow...One end of the elbow should be bent inwards a little, it fits snug without using anything to keep it attached...at least my MES 2nd Gen 30"...I remove it before I put the cover on, that's pretty important to keep the bugs out...

I recently puschased teh 5x8 AMPS and despite removinf water tray, placing AMPS in hole above where the other water tray is located, trying pulling out the chip tray and wood loader, I only got about 3 hours of smoke. I have purchased the elbow and removed the vent. I also had an idea today to remove the chip loader and place the vent in the hole where the chip loader is to provide air flow. I haven't had a chance to do a test run, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this? The vent doesn't fit perfectly, however, I think it fits well enough to remain in place. I'll try to load pics along with this to try to show what I did.

Also, would running the smoker without meat, but set up the AMPS as though I were provide an accurate enough test to see if this configuration will work?

I am wanting to use it for Jack Daniels Pellets which I found on my first try with them on my 5 x 8 MAZE that they don't provide as much smoke as the other pellets. This was confirmed by Todd that they don't provide as much smoke because they are made from the charcoal the whiskey is filtered thru and not from the raw chips of the barrels. Todd said the charcoal won't provide as much smoke as pellets.
I'm responding to this a month late only because I had this same discussion in another thread. The guy insisted I was wrong about the JD pellets not putting out as much smoke as wood pellets even though I referred to Todd as you just did. Amateurs...

I recently puschased teh 5x8 AMPS and despite removinf water tray, placing AMPS in hole above where the other water tray is located, trying pulling out the chip tray and wood loader, I only got about 3 hours of smoke. I have purchased the elbow and removed the vent. I also had an idea today to remove the chip loader and place the vent in the hole where the chip loader is to provide air flow. I haven't had a chance to do a test run, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this? The vent doesn't fit perfectly, however, I think it fits well enough to remain in place. I'll try to load pics along with this to try to show what I did.

Also, would running the smoker without meat, but set up the AMPS as though I were provide an accurate enough test to see if this configuration will work?

Which smoker is this?

MES 40" without the glass window. I'm assuming it's second gen because the vent is located on the side versus the top. I had meant to include that in my post but apparently forgot. Here's a shot of the front.

Gave up on my smoke daddy and ordered a AMNPS for my 1st Gen MES 30. Does the AMNPS work better with the internal wood tray removed and the loader removed with a slider vent? By slider vent i mean screwing a plate over the loader hole and sliding it to adjust ventilation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky