Angus Brisket at Restaurant Depot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt r

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Long Island, New York
Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying a beautiful Friday! I took a trip to the local RD for brisket. I have bunch of folks coming by on labor day and since briskies are not readily available here in Long Island, NY I wanted to be sure I was stocked up and ready to go.
Anyway, all RD had was "superior Angus beef Brisket" for $3.66 a pound. I know...that's a lot of dough! Regardless I picked up a few between 12-15 pounds each.
What I'm wondering is, isn't Angus leaner than others kinds of beef? Don't we want our briskets well marbled with fat...?these look pretty good, but I'm curious what you all think of Angus Brisket. I would have gotten a cheaper grade if they had it.

Personally I think Angus beef is over rated. You will be fine as I've never seen a lean brisket. I get choice brisket from walmart at $2.96 a pound and it comes out great. If yours are already trimmed that's not a bad price actually for Angus.

Angus trends to more fat, not less. One way to compare the relative thickness of the fat caps in tightly bagged cryovac briskets in to bend them. As the cold fat stiffens up much more than the lean you'll be able to feel the differences in the thickness of the fat caps.

Angus trends to more fat, not less. One way to compare the relative thickness of the fat caps in tightly bagged cryovac briskets in to bend them. As the cold fat stiffens up much more than the lean you'll be able to feel the differences in the thickness of the fat caps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky