AMNPS 5 X 8 and MES 40 Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

splendorlex

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Lake Geneva, WI
Hey all--

I've had the MES 40 Bluetooth model for a couple of years now, and it's a great smoker. I like how roomy it is, and outside of having to replace the heating element due to some wires frying out, it's been a dream. But one thing always bugged me, managing the chips and chip loader.

So I did what any self-respecting smoking meat forums guy would do, and I purchased the 5 X 8 (I think that's the size) pellet tray from AMNPS.

The problem is, I can't keep the thing lit. I don't currently have a torch, so I've been using the lighting method using cheapo hand sanitizer I saw on here. I put about 4 squirts or so on the end, light it up, and let it burn for a few. Then I put it in my smoker, it fits perfectly on the left bottom. I did also try heating up the pellets as I've seen here in other posts, but no difference.

But the sucker just won't stay smoking. I'm wondering about 2 possible issues:

1) Could it be air flow? Do I need to remove the chip loader or do something else to increase the air flow? The vent is open.

2) Do I just need to buy a torch and flame it up like I've seen here?

Is there some other bit I'm missing? I'd love to finally be able to set this thing and forget it.

I think what makes mine work so well is air flow. I use a torch, but before I had one it still stayed lit only it took more effort. My firebox has two vents and I really think that is why it works so well. It seems to me that when folks do have trouble keeping them lit it’s oxygen more than it is anything else.

I had the same problem until I moved my AMNPS closer to the chip feeder tube and left the chip feeder tube part-way open so it can draw air. Others do not have to do this...but this worked for me. I also had to raise it up to the bottom grate and get it off the bottom. Here is a pic.

The aluminum pans are simply drip pans. I use them for a dozen smokes or so - or until they get nasty. Make sure the meat drippings do not put out your AMNPS.

St. Louis Style pork ribs are in the stall...no water in the water pan either. I just use it as another drip pan.

IMG_3301.jpg

This why I went with AMNTS (the tube) with u-bolt mod.I always had issues with the tray,I too could never keep it lit and putting it near the chip loader made it unpredictable,too much smoke(and heat) or not enough smoke.

Stick that tube in the bottom left corner under the water pan,crack the chip loader open and smoke.

So my method with my AMNPS is I light it and let it go for a bit, then I put it in my smoker under the water pan, just so stuff isn't dripping into it. My top vent is about 50% open, and the chip loader tray isn't in at all. It's actually likely burning faster then is ideal, but I'd rather have 8 hours of good smoke then 12 hours of smoke with the chance she goes out when I'm asleep.

If this doesn't work, then I got nothing honestly. Also if you see a jet lighter, you can very likely use that to get the pellets going. Those suckers burn much hotter then a normal bic.

Pull the chip tube out 1.5-2"... rotate to the dump position and you should be good to go.... Leave the exhaust wide open...

For mine I was having similar issues but now all is well. I make sure my pellets are burning for a good five minutes ensuring those embers are deep. I then blow it out and if I keep going and it re-lights, it's go time. I have removed my chip loader completely and cut a 3x2 inch slot out of the chip box itself. This gives me great flow and has enhanced heating inside the unit(less drastic dead spots)
Has not gone out since and last week did a full 11hrs out of a full tray of Green Mountain.

I run mine with the chip loader removed and the AMNPS on the support rods on the left side. I also added a piece of sheet aluminum just sitting on the bottom rack to channel the air flow toward the left side of the box (see the photo). I also thinks this helps balance the side to side temps inside the smoker.
_DSC0055.JPG

Here's the butane torch I use. It is a multi-tasker, also used as a tabletop cigar lighter.

_DSC0053.JPG

I'm going to have to try a different lighting method, and I'll also try it with the chip loader removed completely. I'm a little bummed out this didn't work as easily as I hoped, but perhaps I just need to tweak a few things. I also saw somewhere that people microwave their pellets or do other prep work to try to ensure a good burn. Do you guys do anything special or just dump them in the AMNPS?

I'm going to have to try a different lighting method, and I'll also try it with the chip loader removed completely. I'm a little bummed out this didn't work as easily as I hoped, but perhaps I just need to tweak a few things. I also saw somewhere that people microwave their pellets or do other prep work to try to ensure a good burn. Do you guys do anything special or just dump them in the AMNPS?
I microwave for 3 minutes, stir, another 3 minutes and then in. Most likely your just having airflow issues, even with the chiploader out. I highly suggest the mailbox mod, very very simple and flat out works.

Also patience when lighting the pellets helps. I almost always end up putting the pellets in to early, let them burn for a while before blowing out the fire.

I also saw somewhere that people microwave their pellets or do other prep work to try to ensure a good burn. Do you guys do anything special or just dump them in the AMNPS?

Put your pellets in a foil pan and stick the pan in the smoker during pre-heat,that's usually enough time to remove enough moisture from the pellets.Why stink up the micro?

Put your pellets in a foil pan and stick the pan in the smoker during pre-heat,that's usually enough time to remove enough moisture from the pellets.Why stink up the micro?
Now who doesn't love the smell of wood all throughout the house!!!

Get a small Butane Torch they aren't expensive. Get the tray lit, usually I run mine for 20-30 sec, then see if the tray stays lit/smoking for at least 5-7 minutes. If not, hit it again until it does. One or two times experimenting will get you comfortable at keeping it lit & smoking. At that point follow what others have said about placement in the MES, chip tube position etc...

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky