Alelover's Smokehouse Build from Mostly Free Stuff (Maiden Voyage)

Discussion in 'Smoke Houses' started by alelover, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Did a little bit more this past weekend. Got some primer on it. My daughter convinced me I needed to paint it.

Found the fittings for the propane line. Found a brand new hose and regulator for a 35,000 BTU burner in the top of my toolbox I didn't even know I had.

Got it all mocked up. Going to install it after I paint it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good.... Let her rip !!!! ..

3. Got the burner installed. Didn't need the 6" pipe extension.

Painted it black. Need to touch up a few spots.

Going to try a test today. The regulator I found in my toolbox has no o-ring. I'll find something today to remedy that.

4. daveomak

Scott, morning..... Think about a plate of sorts, under the burner, with an air gap between it and the cement board.... Cement board can transmit heat to the underlying wood... the air gap will stop that from happening..

Dave

5. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Keeps looking Better & Better, Scott !!

Can't wait 'til it starts Smelling Better!!![​IMG]

Bear

6. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

cant wait to fill that thing up in may......................[​IMG]

7. Thanks guys. I already have a plan for that Dave. Stay tuned.

8. I can't wait Joe. Going to make some Smoked sausage first. Got some butts that need grinding and stuffing. [​IMG]

9. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

YAY! Now let's see some smoke! Will be interesting to see how the burner works out and a report on the temp control.

10. daveomak

Thumbs Up

11. Just got back with the stove rope and propane connector. Made a hook for the hose.

Handles installed.

Temp probe.

Heat shield installed. Made some aluminum standoffs to hold up the Backerboard. Board also hold the burner in place so it doesn't slide around.

Firing up the A-Maze-N with some oak pellets for a test smoke.

Test smoke seems to be giving good results. Looks like it works.

Need to finish the stove rope installation.Got the bottom and the right side. Will do the top and left side tomorrow. Hard to do all 4 and get then to stay put while closing the door. Gravity sucks.

halfsmoked likes this.
  12. Installed the rest of the stove rope on the top door. Made some aluminum plates for the cleats to slide on. Makes it easier to turn them and it keeps the paint on the door.

Made aluminum spacers so the cleats put the proper pressure on the door.

I think the outside may be done. Now I need to go find stuff for the inside.

13. travisty

travisty Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome! how did the doors do at holding in smoke? did you put in any sort of weather stripping? Do you think that the one amazn was enough for that big box?

Sorry for the 20 questions, this may have me inspired to build one of my own...

14. The A-Maze-N smoker put out plenty of smoke and I only lit one end.

I sealed the door with Wood Stove Gasket Rope. Works great.

15. travisty

Nice!

I haven't used one of the A-maze-n things myself YET, but all of the forums and posts on here have called me to repentance! I have one on the way (thanks to that black Friday sale) and ill be using that for cold smokes and supplements going forward. Very good to know that they are even sufficient for such a large box. I may even find some time to get a mailbox mod going for my MES 30 sometime soon.

I purchased some of that rope for my Char Griller to get the box sealed up, but thanks to the fact that my garage is cold and I cant really bring the thing inside ive got to wait till spring/ summer to get the thing sealed up.

16. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Your cardboard stack cracks me up. The paper that we use in our plotter comes on those tubes. We have hundreds of them a year that we recycle.

17. We have stretch wrap to wrap our machines that has those tubes. I have one on my chargriller too.

18. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Scott that looks awesome!! Great Job!! 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

19. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I hope Scott doesn't mind my injecting myself in here, but I see you're from Salt Lake City, Utah, and I looked it up & you are more than 4,000' above Sea Level.

You will probably have trouble with the 5 X 8 AMNPS, and should actually be getting an AMNTS (Tube Smoker). The Tube smoker is recommended for High Altitude Smoking.

Also I would wait and see if you need a mailbox mod before I would build one. Many of us don't need them.

Bear

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    travisty likes this.
  20. travisty

Thanks for the info Bear! See I don't think/ know about stuff like that, that's why I love you guys! I actually purchased the maze and the 12" tube only because I wanted to see which I would like more, so thank you for the tip!

I may still do the mailbox mod and make it removable, only because I have a great time/ enjoy making mods for my stuff (even though some don't turn out very useful) and once I see something I want to try there is no talking me out of it [​IMG]. The wife may have something to say about more junk on the back porch though!