Albanian sausage aka suxhuk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jodit

Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hi everyone!

Im wondering if anyone here knows how to make albanian/kosovo style suxhuk. All i know is that it takes a few days to make the traditional way, which is they have the sausage hang over a fire for a few days and i guess the smoke helps with preserve it? Because they dont use a cure as far as i know. The ingredients are typically beef, fat, onion, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, and vegeta. Im wondering if i could do this process in a smoker faster? I cant seem to find a recipe, all i can find is dry cured. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone

Reactions: slavikborisov
Hi everyone!

Im wondering if anyone here knows how to make albanian/kosovo style suxhuk. All i know is that it takes a few days to make the traditional way, which is they have the sausage hang over a fire for a few days and i guess the smoke helps with preserve it? Because they dont use a cure as far as i know. The ingredients are typically beef, fat, onion, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, and vegeta. Im wondering if i could do this process in a smoker faster? I cant seem to find a recipe, all i can find is dry cured. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone
Hi everyone!

If I were to attempt it and I would definitely use cure and to be safe if you are smoking it for a few days … have you check YouTube and have you seen any recipes that you can share… even if they are dry cured we can modify it to be just a regular smoked cooked sausage just the texture will be a little different and it will
Have more moisture. Please add recipes and we can move forward on your planned attempts

Reactions: jodit
If I were to attempt it and I would definitely use cure and to be safe if you are smoking it for a few days … have you check YouTube and have you seen any recipes that you can share… even if they are dry cured we can modify it to be just a regular smoked cooked sausage just the texture will be a little different and it will
Have more moisture. Please add recipes and we can move forward on your planned attempts
Just briefly looking online most commercial places selling it like a ring bologna so it definitely has cure

Hi everyone!

you are in luck

Reactions: indaswamp
Hi ! Thanks so much for your response! I cant find any recipes that involve smoking. I figured in a smoker i could probably do it quicker than the traditional way of hanging it over a fire. I only know the ingredients because my husband is from kosovo. He said salt helps to preserve that but im not entirely sure. Sorry im pretty new at this. I just love how it tastes when we visit there and would love to try and make it here i just cant seem to find much information on how to do it properly.

I found a short clip it looks like this guy made his own smoker but this is what it looks like. Id be up for using a cure! Do you think i will need one if i smoke it in less time, like 8 hours?

Hi ! Thanks so much for your response! I cant find any recipes that involve smoking. I figured in a smoker i could probably do it quicker than the traditional way of hanging it over a fire. I only know the ingredients because my husband is from kosovo. He said salt helps to preserve that but im not entirely sure. Sorry im pretty new at this. I just love how it tastes when we visit there and would love to try and make it here i just cant seem to find much information on how to do it properly.

I found a short clip it looks like this guy made his own smoker but this is what it looks like. Id be up for using a cure! Do you think i will need one if i smoke it in less time, like 8 hours?

Heres another clip i found she does include ingredients. But doesnt say how she smokes it.
30 kg of beef
5.kg fat from cow
500-600 grams of salt
150-200 grams of red pepper
75 grams of black pepper
Pepper flakes as much as you want
25 kg of onions
Normal intestines (side note they’re typically muslim in kosov so im assuming maybe cow or sheep? )

If you are going to cook it in a smoker (which you can absolutely do) you cook it till it get to an internal temp of at least 152-155F. Use a good thermometer that is checked/calibrated for accuracy (i.e. boiling water test). use cure #1 as its made to prevent harmful bacteria from growing since your raw meat will be in the danger zone of 40F-140F for more than 4 hours. I'm not sure how new at this you are but i would suggest reading and research sausage making to understand what you are doing and we on this forum can give you tips and trick along the way.

The 4 best sources to acceralte your learning in sausge making in my opinion and of course this forum.
1. len poli's website is a good start http://lpoli.50webs.com/
2. Stanley Marianski https://www.meatsandsausages.com/ is another one I suggest
3. two guys in a cooler YouTube channel
4. duncan henry YouTube channel (Duncan explains it in the best way and simple to understand in my opinion start with his first video and work up)

first step to reverse engineer recipes like the above you posted is to get a gram scale that has an accuracy of .01 or .1 grams you can get them cheap on amazon. learn the metric system as measure every spice/cure/seasoning in gram per kilogram of meat. You can check some of my posts on how me along with lots of other people here make sausage and break down the recipes.

for the above recipe i would first decide what amount you would like to make then divide everything down. i took the higher end of the recipe.

for every 1kg of meat (they have 15% fat but i would say 80/20 would work)
17g of salt
5g of red pepper
2g of black pepper
1g of onion
add 2.5g of cure #1
also add 100g or ml of water

grind twice, add your seasoning/water and cure and mix really well until its very sticky on your hands. keep all the meat cold under 40F while grinding stuffing and mixing.

stuff in natural hog casings or non edible collagen let it rest overnight in the fridge and smoke it at low temps 150-180 (you don't want the smoker really hot or the fat will melt to quick and cause it to be greasy but it needs to be hotter than 152 to get the meat up to temp) until it reach 152 F internal then drop it in ice water to cool it down and throw in the fridge overnight and test taste.

smoke steps for mine are usually 160F for 1-2 hours 170F for a few hours and 180F to get the internal temps up to the 152F mark. i suggest getting a multi probe thermometer and keeping an eye on the internal temps as you go along

Lastly keep in mind this will not taste like the stores or where you buy it as this is not dry cured and there is no starter cultures and fermenting happening here. if you are new to sausage making i don't recommend you jump into something like that on your first run until you get a grasp on the methods behind it

any other questions feel free to ask!!

If you are going to cook it in a smoker (which you can absolutely do) you cook it till it get to an internal temp of at least 152-155F. Use a good thermometer that is checked/calibrated for accuracy (i.e. boiling water test). use cure #1 as its made to prevent harmful bacteria from growing since your raw meat will be in the danger zone of 40F-140F for more than 4 hours. I'm not sure how new at this you are but i would suggest reading and research sausage making to understand what you are doing and we on this forum can give you tips and trick along the way.

The 4 best sources to acceralte your learning in sausge making in my opinion and of course this forum.
1. len poli's website is a good start http://lpoli.50webs.com/
2. Stanley Marianski https://www.meatsandsausages.com/ is another one I suggest
3. two guys in a cooler YouTube channel
4. duncan henry YouTube channel (Duncan explains it in the best way and simple to understand in my opinion start with his first video and work up)

first step to reverse engineer recipes like the above you posted is to get a gram scale that has an accuracy of .01 or .1 grams you can get them cheap on amazon. learn the metric system as measure every spice/cure/seasoning in gram per kilogram of meat. You can check some of my posts on how me along with lots of other people here make sausage and break down the recipes.

for the above recipe i would first decide what amount you would like to make then divide everything down. i took the higher end of the recipe.

for every 1kg of meat (they have 15% fat but i would say 80/20 would work)
17g of salt
5g of red pepper
2g of black pepper
1g of onion
add 2.5g of cure #1
also add 100g or ml of water

grind twice, add your seasoning/water and cure and mix really well until its very sticky on your hands. keep all the meat cold under 40F while grinding stuffing and mixing.

stuff in natural hog casings or non edible collagen let it rest overnight in the fridge and smoke it at low temps 150-180 (you don't want the smoker really hot or the fat will melt to quick and cause it to be greasy but it needs to be hotter than 152 to get the meat up to temp) until it reach 152 F internal then drop it in ice water to cool it down and throw in the fridge overnight and test taste.

smoke steps for mine are usually 160F for 1-2 hours 170F for a few hours and 180F to get the internal temps up to the 152F mark. i suggest getting a multi probe thermometer and keeping an eye on the internal temps as you go along

Lastly keep in mind this will not taste like the stores or where you buy it as this is not dry cured and there is no starter cultures and fermenting happening here. if you are new to sausage making i don't recommend you jump into something like that on your first run until you get a grasp on the methods behind it

any other questions feel free to ask!!
Thank you so much for all this great info!!! I appreciate all the advice and help!! Im gonna give it a try!

See, told you the guys would weigh in. There is so much knowledge here on so many different things. Look forward to your thread on the process.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky