Al Pastor (Another one)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phantom krankor

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 15, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hi all,

Short story, then to the recipe. Since I haven't had a bigger get together the last few months, I wanted to do something a little different for a smaller group, so I starting looking up "rotisserie"/doner type recipes. Ended up with Tacos al Pastor as my pick. Some of my learning experiences are in red below if you're interested in something like this.

1 Pork shoulder - Trimmed of excess/hard fat, deboned, sliced into ~1/4 inch slices.
7 Guajillo chiles (soaked from dried)
1/2 Onion
2 tsp allspice/cinnamon
6-7 cloves of garlic
1T ancho powder (or dried, but powder is what i had)
A few tablespoons Salt/pepper (I almost oversalted mine because I'm used to piling it on in a dry rub)
3T Neutral oil (Canola for me)
1/3 C Lime/Orange Juice
I've heard Pineapple juice has an enzyme that really goes to town on meat, so be careful.

Boil the soaked Guajillo and onion for a few minutes and blend everything together with a cup of the chile boil water.
20200724_140716.jpg

I did the marinade a day early and kept it in the fridge for the flavors to better blend together. Then I marinaded the pork and let that marinade overnight in the fridge.
20200725_235737.jpg

Poke little holes and layer onto the spit and the claw attachments on the rotissery (I think mine is the weber one).

Get the coals going medium-hot (depending on the setup/distance), then put the spit above the coals. Mine was done maybe in 1.5 hours. Slice as pieces become crispy/done. Because I removed some of the side bricks to fit the motor/spit, I had to refill the charcoal a few times, since heat was being lost.

20200726_140708.jpg

I had some trouble with the bone, so I ended up with some uneven pork pieces that I had to rig up with steel wire and bamboo skewers (I still wanted them to spin). So one piece of advice is to try and get even slices.

Because of the claw attachments, it was a little tricky to slice after a certain point, the meat actually rotated well, and didn't spin around in place, but I think more even pieces would help with that. I am thinking about ways to do it vertically (maybe with 2 pieces of expanded steel with briquettes in the middle).
Also make sure you can easily move the spit off to slice. You'll need to get to the meat more often than other rotisserie recipes.

Would definitely recommend something like this.
IMG957553~2.jpg IMG957551~2.jpg

Looks good! That pile of meat will make alot of tacos!

Ryan

Dang all these tacos! Lol! Great looking stuff! Nice rotisserie set up. Tomorrow is taco Tuesday and I already have plans for something different but now I want Al pastor! Nice job!

Great job on the tacos! Fun to see the different processes on making these tasty wonders

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky