Air Fryer fail....again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
I think the air fryer is good for some stuff for others not so much.
A few weeks go I fixed some chicken parm in the air fryer. It cooked it well, flavor was ok but it wasn't browned.
Read a few air fryer articles and they say to get things browned you need to spray a little oil on them.
So I figure I'll give it another chance with fried steak. I flowered, egg washed, and Panko'd like I always do then sprayed them with oil and into the air fryer.
The fryer 375 for 12ish minutes then flip, Did that then spray again. These were the worst country fried steaks ever. The gravy saved the day.
They were dry on the outside and could taste the flower. They did start to brown but not very appealing.
Anybody have any luck with the air fryer making this kind of stuff in the air fryer.
Maybe it's me, I can cook fries and frozen chicken tenders in there and that's about it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230301_000827954.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230301_000827954.MP.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20230228_233003770.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230228_233003770.MP.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 22
I had a Emeril 360 that I used twice and then sold at our garage sale a few months back. I been making pan-fried chicken my whole life, perfect every time, could do it in my sleep. Too many knobs and buttons to push on those things, new tricks are for young dogs. RAY

It cooked it well, flavor was ok but it wasn't browned.
You won't get the results you want with flour .
If you look at the store they sell coatings for air fryers . Key is to get something that already has color .
I often use left over chips or crackers that have color . Corn flakes work well too .
Air fried chicken parts using crushed up crackers . Cooked in a 360 .
1677675179606.jpeg

Chicken breast with buttermilk and cornflakes .
1677675213435.jpeg

I been making pan-fried chicken my whole life, perfect every time, could do it in my sleep
That's where I am, love food fried in oil unfortunately my cholesterol doesn't .

I can't even recall the last time I used my oven.
That's what I keep hearing, Gotta be something I'm doing

You won't get the results you want with flour .
If you look at the store they sell coatings for air fryers . Key is to get something that already has color .
I often use left over chips or crackers that have color . Corn flakes work well too
Worth a try, So how to you put the crust on? Do you still egg wash then chips or crackers? What about browned bread crumbs?

Reactions: JLeonard
Here's a thread I did on the sandwich .
Looks like I used thighs , not breast . Also 3 stage breading . The chicken parts were buttermilk .
The breading is important . FLOUR first , then egg , then the coating you want to use . I left the skin on in the thread , but now take it off .
You could use toasted bread crumbs . Anything that has some color already . Think of Shake N Bake .
I'm with Norm , I hardly use my oven anymore . I bought a refurbished Ninja 6 + 1 . It's better than the 360 , but I do still use both .

I have no issue using the Ninja 6 in 1 that Bearcarver Bearcarver raved about, I do use crushed pork rinds instead of panko and they do have some color. This at least the third air fryer we have had and it is by far and away the best air fryer and cooker we have ever had.

This is bacon wrapped chicken cordon bleu (no breading) on roast not even air fry.
IMG_4679.jpg

imitation crab cakes
IMG_4563.jpg

Even rib-eys cooked to perfection - not a great pic they had way more red in real life.
IMG_5600.jpg

Cliff , I couldn't agree more . That 6 + 1 gets the job done .
That all looks fantastic BTW . I need to try a steak . Yours looks great . Cooks fast too , and dishwasher safe .
Makes awesome wings too . These are naked , no coating .
1677684997785.jpeg

It's become my go to for hotdogs too .
1677685120060.jpeg

Cliff , I couldn't agree more . That 6 + 1 gets the job done .
That all looks fantastic BTW . I need to try a steak . Yours looks great . Cooks fast too , and dishwasher safe .
Makes awesome wings too . These are naked , no coating .
View attachment 658935

It's become my go to for hotdogs too .
View attachment 658936
yeah I did wings coated in just almond flour and baking soda and they came out great. The Chicken cordon bleu was done in under 15 minutes with crispy bacon and no flipping. I am doing the crab cakes tonight again and I believe Mike MJB05615 MJB05615 is as well in his Ninja.

My kids went nuts the way it cooks frozen mozzarella sticks and egg rolls so crispy and fast.

I have a Franks Red hot buffalo chicken seasoning I put on the wings . really adds a crunch to them and keeps the inside juicy .
I like the grill plate and set it to air crisp .
We did some toasted ravs the other day . Cheese sticks are fantastic .

Reactions: clifish
I have the InstantPot 2qt AF (it was on sale and I wanted to give it a try). So far, the only use I can find for it is frozen onion rings/fries/etc and hot dogs/sausages (works great for those). I tried a few ways to cook meats (wings, boneless chick/pork using panko/crushed crackers/etc), but didn't care for it.

Maybe it's me, maybe it was the "breading method", maybe it's because it's small...I don't know.

I DO like it for the frozen stuff, though!

Reactions: JLeonard
If you use a olive oil spray similar to Pam on the coating that will help with the browning.

It took me a while to learn my air fryer. I finally got chicken tenders dialed in after a few tries. Flour, egg wash, back in the flour, back in the egg wash, then panko. Spritz with oil and into the air fryer. So far for me, I've learned there are certain things an air fryer is good at, and some things not so much.

Maybe I'm a slow learner but I gave up on the air fryer after 3 cooks. Wife wanted it and she's used it less than I.
But I'm old and I identify with the old dog/new tricks issue. It's no longer enough for something to be good, it's gotta' be easy and good.
But I do appreciate the nudge on the cornflakes...used to use those a lot in cooking and I've kinda' forgotten about them. Doesn't help that they never go on sale around me and cold cereal has gotten ridiculously expensive.

But I do appreciate the nudge on the cornflakes..
You can buy the cornflakes as a coating now . Anything like Shake and bake or oven fried all works to . Plus the air fryer coatings are already dark in color .
It's no longer enough for something to be good, it's gotta' be easy and good.
That's the reason I use the Ninja . I got it for 90 bucks as a refurbished unit . Not sure I would pay the full price , but it really works great .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky