Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh yeah - I went back and looked again...guess I missed that the first time. Sorry for suggesting something you'd already done lol.

Red
lol All good bud. They are kinda hard to see. Either way it’s good advise for myself or even a new person that might over look it in pics and be reading these for ideas.

Reactions: seenred
Here’s my thoughts. In the exhaust plenum. Cut out the entire inside of the tape if u zoom in u should be able to see the lines drawn for the tops of the top and bottom grates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 29
Here’s my thoughts. In the exhaust plenum. Cut out the entire inside of the tape if u zoom in u should be able to see the lines drawn for the tops of the top and bottom grates.

Looks about right to me. Looks like the bottom edge of the collector (plenum) is just above the level of the bottom cooking grate? I'd say it doesn't need to be any lower than that.

Red

And actually, I'm not sure it needs to be that tall. There may be some formulas for that...but I don't know for sure where. The area and/or volume of the collector - what you're calling the plenum - is probably supposed to be a certain percentage of the CC volume...but again if there's a formula for that, I don't know what it is.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Red

Looks about right to me. Looks like the bottom edge of the collector (plenum) is just above the level of the bottom cooking grate? I'd say it doesn't need to be any lower than that.

Red
It’s 1&3/8” above the grate it’s the same above to top grate. Thanks kinda my thought.
And actually, I'm not sure it needs to be that tall. There may be some formulas for that...but I don't know for sure where. The area and/or volume of the collector - what you're calling the plenum - is probably supposed to be a certain percentage of the CC volume...but again if there's a formula for that, I don't know what it is.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Red
I have no clue I really haven’t seen a formula there just a few different drawings I seen Dave do and a few other folks and idk if or what they are based off of.

It’s 1&3/8” above the grate it’s the same above to top grate. Thanks kinda my thought.

I have no clue I really haven’t seen a formula there just a few different drawings I seen Dave do and a few other folks and idk if or what they are based off of.

Yeah me neither. I know a guy who is a professional pit builder - if I get the chance I'll ask him.

Red

I seen this one in a build. I can’t seem to find the other that had 2 grates in it. I will keep looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4163.png
    IMG_4163.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4164.png
    IMG_4164.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 18
Yeah me neither. I know a guy who is a professional pit builder - if I get the chance I'll ask him.

Red
I found this one in Dave’s calculation thread about building one but now word as to dimensions. So this and the 2 pics I added a min ago is what I was going off of.

Attachments

• IMG_4165.png
    IMG_4165.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: JLeonard
Mine is kinda like daveomak daveomak drawing... Even with bottom grate.. Little above top grate... 45 degree angle on the bottom... I didn't mean for the 45 to go all the way to the top... It was suppose to look like Daves... But it still works...

1713203010947.png

Reactions: JLeonard
Mine is kinda like daveomak daveomak drawing... Even with bottom grate.. Little above top grate... 45 degree angle on the bottom... I didn't mean for the 45 to go all the way to the top... It was suppose to look like Daves... But it still works...

View attachment 694511
Ok cool. Your collector/plentum isn’t huge like some I have seen. so it must not matter then?? Just a few inches bigger than the pipe on all sides and call it good? So like say 12” to 12.5” wide since I am using 8”ID which I just realized is 3/8” think I thought it was 1/4” wall. So it’s 8.75” wide total

View attachment 694511
I guess this is what I am kinda thinking then. What do u think????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 12
Ok cool. Your collector/plentum isn’t huge like some I have seen. so it must not matter then?? Just a few inches bigger than the pipe on all sides and call it good? So like say 12” to 12.5” wide since I am using 8”ID which I just realized is 3/8” think I thought it was 1/4” wall. So it’s 8.75” wide total

Like Keith's, on the RF smoker I built, my collector was not huge - only slightly larger on the top than the stack...although I put the opening for mine slightly higher - closer to the upper rack that the lower one. And exactly the same shape as Keith's.

I should say - that design was not mine, but from a set of plans I got from the pit builder I was taking about earlier.

Here's a pic that shows where my smoke collector was in relation to the cooking racks:

1713204121381.png

I only built a fire in it twice before it was sold...but ran great and held pretty consistent temps across the CC. It's now owned by Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . He'd probably be happy to tell you how it performs if you asked.

Red

Like Keith's, on the RF smoker I built, my collector was not huge - only slightly larger on the top than the stack...although I put the opening for mine slightly higher - closer to the upper rack that the lower one. And exactly the same shape as Keith's.

I should say - that design was not mine, but from a set of plans I got from the pit builder I was taking about earlier.

Here's a pic that shows where my smoke collector was in relation to the cooking racks:

View attachment 694513

I only built a fire in it twice before it was sold...but ran great and held pretty consistent temps across the CC. It's now owned by Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . He'd probably be happy to tell you how it performs if you asked.

Red
Ok
Sounds great I think I am going to model mine after both of yours. the basic shape will be the same. my measurements would make it 2” wider side to side than the pipe and the pipe will sit about 2.75” from the end of the tank and ride as little above the bottom grate and stop at the top. Like Keith’s. Unless u get ahold of your pit builder buddy and he says different. Thanks guys much appreciated.

Well I got the collector fully built and welded in. The only real bummer it the bottom under the collector had a weird arch to it that left a big gap under it and was a pita to get both curves right . I unfortunately had to use smaller strips and make multiple weld passes to make it look ok. Remember I am no professional welder by any means so be nice lol. I am getting better from where I started tho. The first section of pipe is just sitting there for a test. The second section needs cleaned and prepared as close to bare metal as I can. I don’t want to have to do it later on the smoker. The other pic is the plates and hinges I made for the 2 sections of pipe to connect them and allow the top one to fold down. Once its folded I will have 10” of space under the pipe to top of CC. That should give me plenty of room to build the counter weight for the door. It will probably rarely be folded down but I made it this way just incase.

Attachments

• IMG_4179.jpeg
    IMG_4179.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4180.jpeg
    IMG_4180.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 21
Well I got the collector fully built and welded in. The only real bummer it the bottom under the collector had a weird arch to it that left a big gap under it and was a pita to get both curves right . I unfortunately had to use smaller strips and make multiple weld passes to make it look ok. Remember I am no professional welder by any means so be nice lol. I am getting better from where I started tho. The first section of pipe is just sitting there for a test. The second section needs cleaned and prepared as close to bare metal as I can. I don’t want to have to do it later on the smoker. The other pic is the plates and hinges I made for the 2 sections of pipe to connect them and allow the top one to fold down. Once it’s ooks folded I will have 10” of space under the pipe to top of CC. That should give me plenty of room to build the counter weight for the door. It will probably rarely be folded down but I made it this way just incase.

Looks pretty good from here! I don’t see why that won’t work real good.

One more step down!

Red

Test fit on the second part of the exhaust. Also once it was tacked in. I tested the folding operation worked really good and lined up better than expecting. lol Now to triple bead weld it and I get to practice my upside down welds. Yay!!! If it looks crappy I always have the eraser/grinder. 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky