Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That tank ought to make a real nice smoker :emoji_thumbsup:

Red
Thank it sure will. Gonna be a lot of work. Already started digging into it a little. Needs a couple patches so far. That’s to be expected especially considering it used to be a water tank. Gotta get the engine dolly here so I can get it spun to the direction I want it to start cutting into it.

When I cut the half moon on bottom of CC for the FB what determines how far in the FB sits in the CC? Asking for 2 reason. # 1 I seen lots of builds and comments sayin to cut I past the weld seam on a propane tank. I am using a water tank off a concrete truck. The ends are not as rounded and don’t stick out like a propane tank. There is approximately 7” sticking out as seen in pic. It wasn’t the easiest to hold the T square and take a pic. # 2. I am trying to plan out the stand for the smoker and I want to make sure I don’t make it to long and not have the room needed for FB.
Thanks Tom

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I did get a little done on it also. I removed the old base and straps that held the tank to the truck. Unfortunately I do have a little patch work to do on it. Thats to be expected. I am going to reuse the straps for the strips that over lap the door cuts since they are already the shape of the tank.

I went in past the weld... My tank was an Air Compressor tank... I configured mine so that the top FB corners matched up to the tank where the corner of the fishmouth cut was made... Meaning the FB didn't stick out past the tank nor was it to short and would have to fill in the gap...

Whatever the height of the RF plate is going to be, Thats how high I made my cut around the end of the tank from weld to weld...Figure out what that distance is straight across... That's how wide I made my FB . If your not confused... I am...

I went in past the weld... My tank was an Air Compressor tank... I configured mine so that the top FB corners matched up to the tank where the corner of the fishmouth cut was made... Meaning the FB didn't stick out past the tank nor was it to short and would have to fill in the gap...

Whatever the height of the RF plate is going to be, Thats how high I made my cut around the end of the tank from weld to weld...Figure out what that distance is straight across... That's how wide I made my FB . If your not confused... I am...
Ok thanks I didn’t know if there was a set distance or not. I was thinking what ever the RF plate is I would make that line and go in like an inch past the weld on my tank and connect the lines under the tank and cut that out. My FB might stick out of the Cc a little I haven’t decided if I am going to insulate my FB yet.

If I decide to insulate my FB. Is it still best to use 1/4” steel to build it or save the money and weight and go with 3/16”?

Ok time to get more serious. It was 19 degrees in PA. bundled up went out to work on the smoker with no heat in my shed for a few hours. I cut into the tank and did some measuring to the absolute closets I think I could get. Tank is 3/16 thick. Measurements is 77 1/8”x36”. I did some grinding and wire wheel prep on some of the rusted areas definitely have a few patches to make. Also it has baffles in it to prevent liquid sloshing so those will need to come out. More work but it’s not a race so it’s ok. I did up all the figures and really need someone to look over them to make sure I got it right. If someone takes the time to crunch the numbers I would greatly appreciate that. The air inlet especially as I want to do the 80% at fire height and 20% at FB/CC opening height. Only thing I may need to adjust is the stack I am gonna try to get 8” but we will see on that availability wise. Thanks for any help and following.

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 46
Also another question about the final numbers. All of the numbers are really long for instance the length of the Exhaust stack. It’s 34.3591876” is it ok to round it to say 34.36”? Or what’s the best way just let it alone and figure the full number in a measurement. Thanks

Tank looks like it will be a winner for this setup. Looks heavy though. Are you planning on making a trailer for it or just some wheels. Cool project though. :)

Also is that a recteq bullseye in there I see?

Reactions: irvin78787884
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky