Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tank looks like it will be a winner for this setup. Looks heavy though. Are you planning on making a trailer for it or just some wheels. Cool project though. :)

Also is that a recteq bullseye in there I see?
Thanks. It does have some weight to it lol. I am gonna put it on golf cart hubs, wheels and tires. They weight on average 800 to 1100 lbs. this will certainly be in that ball park. Figures I will make a handle to pull it around. I want to make it removable and make I trailer hitch so I could hook it to my sxs if needed. I have the trailer hitch parts laying around. When I buy the 2x2 steel for the base I should have leftovers to build those. Good eye on the reqtec. I have had it like 5yrs now. Works great.

Thanks. It does have some weight to it lol. I am gonna put it on golf cart hubs, wheels and tires. They weight on average 800 to 1100 lbs. this will certainly be in that ball park. Figures I will make a handle to pull it around. I want to make it removable and make I trailer hitch so I could hook it to my sxs if needed. I have the trailer hitch parts laying around. When I buy the 2x2 steel for the base I should have leftovers to build those. Good eye on the reqtec. I have had it like 5yrs now. Works great.

Ah ok. That would be cool to be able to trailer it if you wanted to, but also just move it by hand as well. :)

Reactions: irvin78787884
Ah ok. That would be cool to be able to trailer it if you wanted to, but also just move it by hand as well. :)
Kinda my thoughts. I have a trailer already and don’t have room for a second so as long as I can load it on my trailer and haul it if need I will be good to go.

Reactions: tpc74
Well put in a few hours today cut out the rusted holes. Cut out extra to be sure I got it all might actually cut some of the good usable metal off and put it back. Also got 3/4 of the paint removed. Now gotta spin the tank to get the rest off. That will be next time.

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpeg
    IMG_3845.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3847.jpeg
    IMG_3847.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: JLeonard
Good morning Irvin.

If I'm reading your calculations correctly, you have a FB that's about 105% of the recommended volume? That's a pretty good number. I've been told by more experienced pitmakers than myself that the "sweet spot" is between 100 and 107% for FB volume.

So it seems to me you're on the right track.

Red
Hello Red
If u get a few mins can u look over my new actual inside number/calculations to be sure I am good. One thing I especially wonder is the fb inlets. Looking for the 80% at fire height and then 20% at Fb/CC opening height. I think the rest are good. I just want more eyes on it to be sure. All the new stuff is on page 2 I believe. Also and maybe this is a stupid question and my brain is over thinking it. How or what’s the easy way to get exact center horizontal and vertical line on the ends of the tank. It’s rounded in multiple directions and u can’t just put tape measure on it like it was flat. Thank for the help.
Tom

I use a level on both sides. Make sure they are both plum. And then measure the distance between the two. Divide that in half and then measure from one level to the center.

Hello Red
If u get a few mins can u look over my new actual inside number/calculations to be sure I am good. One thing I especially wonder is the fb inlets. Looking for the 80% at fire height and then 20% at Fb/CC opening height. I think the rest are good. I just want more eyes on it to be sure. All the new stuff is on page 2 I believe. Also and maybe this is a stupid question and my brain is over thinking it. How or what’s the easy way to get exact center horizontal and vertical line on the ends of the tank. It’s rounded in multiple directions and u can’t just put tape measure on it like it was flat. Thank for the help.
Tom

Good morning Tom. Not sure what "page 2" you're talking about. I went to your original link to your Felton's calculator numbers and don't see a pg. 2. Sorry if I'm missing something...

I'd say you're on the right track with designing your fb damper/inlet at - or near - fire height. I like to go with 2 smaller dampers myself instead of 1 larger one...but I try to place those right at fire height.

Red

Good morning Tom. Not sure what "page 2" you're talking about. I went to your original link to your Felton's calculator numbers and don't see a pg. 2. Sorry if I'm missing something...

I'd say you're on the right track with designing your fb damper/inlet at - or near - fire height. I like to go with 2 smaller dampers myself instead of 1 larger one...but I try to place those right at fire height.

Red
Ok I was meaning page 2 of this thread. It’s the pictures of the paper with the formulas all written out. These are the actual inside of tank measurements. I will add the pics to this replay. Thanks for ur help tho. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 42
Just went and picked up a 11’x7.5’ steel pallet. It’s got 4 11’ long and 2 7.5’ long 2”x4” 1/8 wall rectangle tube that I will use to build the base for the smoker also has some C channel and angle iron pieces as well. Can’t wait till Saturday and Sunday to spend some time working on the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_3852.jpeg
    IMG_3852.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 38
Just went and picked up a 11’x7.5’ steel pallet. It’s got 4 11’ long and 2 7.5’ long 2”x4” 1/8 wall rectangle tube that I will use to build the base for the smoker also has some C channel and angle iron pieces as well. Can’t wait till Saturday and Sunday to spend some time working on the smoker.

Nice score on that pallet! There's a lot of good reusable material in that. It's always nice to find used material that can be repurposed.

Red

Nice score on that pallet! There's a lot of good reusable material in that. It's always nice to find used material that can be repurposed.

Red
For sure and the cost savings is nice also. It did cost me $150. If I went and bought the 2x4 steel alone would have cost double or a little more cause I know 2 sticks of 2x2 was $240 plus had to drive an hour for it.

I have another question. Sorry i have lots. lol Anyways if I angle my RF plate say 1/8” up and put a piece of 1” angle iron in the center to drain the juices from cooks. Will I need to adjust any of the build numbers to account for that. Similar to the drawing below. Got the steel pallet almost all cut apart today. No pictures as it was dark when I was finished for the night.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: JLeonard
Angle all you want... Just make the lowest point of your angled/slope the minimum hieght of the RF plate... So this will make your fish mouth cut out higher...
Ok thanks. If I decide to do it I will make sure the end of it is the 12.5” height that it supposed to be.

Didn’t work on smoker unfortunately and the weather was decent last 2 days in PA. It wasn’t a total loss tho. I tried to work on it Friday night but the 110v welder and 110v plasma kept tripping the breakers. Not ran at same time obviously. It’s a long run for the normal 12/2 wire and I never gave it a consideration. So the shed is in process of getting and new 2awg wire run and it’s own sub panel. I will be able to run the plasma on 220v the welder is only a 110v tho.

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3858.jpeg
    IMG_3858.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I did get all the wiring done for the shed. Got to use the plasma cutter and started to cut the baffles inside that stopped the water that was in it from sloshing around. Need to cut the in the area of the cc door. That way when I cut that I can remove it. Then once I get inside I can finish removing them. No pics tho sorry.

Worked on it for 2 hrs tonight tille I had to make dinner for the family. Got the tank rotated to the location I wanted for lay out. I made a thing to lift it to rotate it out of a 4x4 and some 2x6. Worked well. I got the center line marked and the 12.75” line for the cc to fb cut. It’s supposed to be 12.5” the extra 1/4” is the fb metal thickness. Hopefully I will make more progress each day this week and weekend Pa weather is looking ok to work in the non heated shed.

Attachments

• IMG_3867.jpeg
    IMG_3867.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 32
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky