AC Leggs #10 Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
I haven't made sausage in a few years. Got the Cabelas 1/2hp grinder and11lb stuffer out and cleaned up. Picked up a couple butts for $1.48/lb to do some brats and breakfast sausage but when I was getting the stuffer and grinder out I haven't found the stuffing tubes or all of the grinding plates. The only plate I have right now is the 4.5mm plate and since I don't know where the stuffing tubes are at I decided to make all breakfast sausage.

Got the butts out and got ready to process them up. Started with 22.96 lbs of butts

20230704_111211.jpg

20230704_111232.jpg

20230704_111235.jpg

Didn't take a picture of the meat cubed up but I got it into the freezer for 50 minutes.

Got it all ground up but it took a little longer than normal as I was going strait into the 4.5mm plate. Also I did a double grind on some of it that came out not looking how I would like. The rest was a single grind. Finished with 20.69lbs of pork after removing the bones, glands, and anything I didn't like the looks of when trimming/grinding.

Using AC Leggs #10 Sausage Seasoning. We really like the AC Leggs product.

#10.jpg

Because I didn't have a total of 25 lbs I had to do a little math. The first time I did the math I did 277g/25lbs=11.08g/lb. As I was measuring out something just wasn't adding up so I looked again and realized I did 277g instead of 227g for the weight of the spices. Needless to say if I wouldn't have double checked I would of way over seasoned the meat. Now with the proper math I remeasured the seasoning for each tray and here is how much I had to pull off the paper plates that I had measured it out on.

20230707_122216.jpg

Now that I had the math and measurements correct I mixed it up and did a test fry.

20230707_125343.jpg

Turned out really good. I will let the sausage rest tonight and package it tomorrow.

20230708_105827.jpg

Here is the financial breakdown. 36.97 for the butts and seasoning to make 20.69/lbs of sausage. $1.79/lb cost for great sausage. Can't beat the price and can't beat knowing the quality of the meat that was ground up instead of just everything that was left over at the processing plant.

All in all not a bad day. Granted I don't have any brats yet but hey you can't complain about some great breakfast sausage that is better than that store bought stuff.

Happy grinding all.

Last edited:
I'll bring the croissants, eggs and cheese Brian. I can be there in about 23 hours.

Point for sure
Chris.

Reactions: bmudd14474
Nice work Brian, good lookin' batch! I'm overdue making some breakfast sausage, I use Rytec's recipe. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Just had more for breakfast. The flavors definitely developed overnight.

Reactions: gmc2003 and chopsaw
Nice work . I just made some of the #10 . It's good .
If your in a pinch and need some Italian sausage , that breakfast sausage is a great base .
Add fennel , anise , red pepper and maybe some parm . Goes great on pizza or in a sauce .

Reactions: bmudd14474
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky