A Tri Tip for my Record Book!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Absolutely the best tasting tenderest tri tip I ever cooked - I think this is my 5th tri tip.

A 3-pound Prime Tri Tip, Montreal Steak rub, grilled over post oak coals, 20-minute rest. Like eating slices of Heaven!

IMG_1355.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking TT you got there. Like newglide said they're hard to come by here, and when you do see one it's usually wicked expensive.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Retired Spook
$7.99 / lb here in central Texas for Prime - I don't know if that is expensive or not because I only started cooking them about 2-months ago after reading about them here and a friend mentioning how much he likes them.

I have to admit they are good - especially this one. I could easily be satisfied with grilled whole Tri Tips and never buy a steak again - tasted as good as any steak I've ever eaten and I put-away a LOT of true Porterhouse and Ribeye steaks in my lifetime.

For $7.99 a pound and tastes this good, I can live fine without the over-priced steaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
That looks perfect! I've only smoked one, $9.99 / lb I believe, but the flavor is just amazing! Now you have me wanting one grilled as well.

Ryan

Reactions: Retired Spook
Absolutely the best tasting tenderest tri tip I ever cooked - I think this is my 5th tri tip.

A 3-pound Prime Tri Tip, Montreal Steak rub, grilled over post oak coals, 20-minute rest. Like eating slices of Heaven!

View attachment 647551
that llok fantastic. They are hatd to come by in S Florida, but if i can get one, I'm itching to try one Sous-vide then seared.

Reactions: JLeonard
What a disappointment - started slicing up the 2/3's of the Tri Tip that was left and it was 50% fat - not fat cap fat, internal fat - terrible - total disappointment. Was looking forward to giving it to a friend for a sandwich and it went into the garbage can instead. Must have been one seriously obese steer... :emoji_rage:

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky