Meat and potatoes-giving tri tip a second chance.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
The last time I had tri tip was at our wedding rehearsal dinner and I thought it was tough and not very flavorful. So, I just hadn’t had any again since. I have been seeing posts about tri tips that sparked my interest and I found a 2 for 1 sale at a local grocery store, so I decided to give it another chance.
6EF4D209-9996-4EE3-A20D-495952A53EAA.jpeg

Marinaded the steak for a couple days in the fridge and then added a homemade dry rub about 30 minutes before it went on the smoker. I used apple wood and ran the Horizon 225-250. It was hot and windy, so I had some temperature fluctuations. Rough cut some potatoes, seasoned up with SPOG, coated with a little oil, into foil with a little water.
D2B7BB52-F133-4F1F-9924-3FDA6EE9DB2A.jpeg

They were in the smoker about 3 hours and pulled at IT of 132. Rested about 30 minutes.
83253997-B946-4921-93EF-7005A494A575.jpeg

Then followed some of the great illustrations I found for slicing.
74AFB335-A6C7-4563-8209-17E8369284C9.jpeg

We had a nice salad with fresh greens while the smoker was running, sorry, forgot pictures, so dinner was a very simple meat and potatoes. It was tender and very flavorful. I will definitely be eating tri tips more often
9B4A0BD9-7E00-4E86-B3FD-7DC5932C34BD.jpeg

Slicing it correctly is half the battle. That's a good looking meal nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chp
Slicing it correctly is half the battle. That's a good looking meal nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris
It was great to have the reference
00FA427F-9C92-47F0-A2FA-54127707BD3C.jpeg

I will paste it here to make it easier for others

Thats a great looking piece of cooking right there. And I'm sure not near as costly as the first non-good tri tip you had.

Jim

Thats a great looking piece of cooking right there. And I'm sure not near as costly as the first non-good tri tip you had.

Jim
Jim,
I don’t hardly see them around here and at $4/lbs it was worth a shot. It was a great steak.

Cy

Reactions: JLeonard
Jim,
I don’t hardly see them around here and at $4/lbs it was worth a shot. It was a great steak.

Cy
Thats a great price!! I'd had to stock my freezer if I found them for that price around here.

Jim

Thats a great price!! I'd had to stock my freezer if I found them for that price around here.

Jim
Unfortunately I only bought 2 because I was skeptical. I have learned and will stock up if they do that again!

The last time I had tri tip was at our wedding rehearsal dinner and I thought it was tough and not very flavorful. So, I just hadn’t had any again since. I have been seeing posts about tri tips that sparked my interest and I found a 2 for 1 sale at a local grocery store, so I decided to give it another chance.
View attachment 671398
Marinaded the steak for a couple days in the fridge and then added a homemade dry rub about 30 minutes before it went on the smoker. I used apple wood and ran the Horizon 225-250. It was hot and windy, so I had some temperature fluctuations. Rough cut some potatoes, seasoned up with SPOG, coated with a little oil, into foil with a little water.
View attachment 671401
They were in the smoker about 3 hours and pulled at IT of 132. Rested about 30 minutes.
View attachment 671402
Then followed some of the great illustrations I found for slicing.
View attachment 671403
We had a nice salad with fresh greens while the smoker was running, sorry, forgot pictures, so dinner was a very simple meat and potatoes. It was tender and very flavorful. I will definitely be eating tri tips more often
View attachment 671406
Looks good for a first go.

I make tri-tip OFTEN. Love it. I've settled on super low smoke temp (~200) until IT of ~120. Then sear both sides crispy. Thicker end at med-rare and the thinner side closer to med-well, it's a win for all!

I find the sirloin to be one of the beefiest tasting steaks available. I love, love a nice ribeye, but the beefy flavor of a tri-tip at ~5/lb is hard to beat. And the flexibility of sandwiches the next day, warmed up slices, strips for salad and tacos, I could go on and on Loves me that tri-tip! And yes, slice it like a brisket - that's critical.

I don't see them here in the east often. It is like the picanha, over cook it and you will be disappointed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky