A story about foiling and packing meat for rest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jsanders

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
First let me say this is based on my bad memory. I don't remember when I started but this is the story of why I started. I think the source was a foxfire book. Maybe a flyfishing book.

A family would be getting ready to go where they fish, not walking to the closest creek but the fish camp...maybe 40 miles away. That's 2 days on horse and buggy. The wife would cook up a big roast, put it on the night before. There was no way it would be done by sunrise so she would pack it in a wooden crate packed with straw. When they got to the river it was the best meat they ever ate.

I started out using newspaper instead of towels. I always used styrofoam coolers too. Through the years I tried towels, igloo coolers, all kinds of stuff. I swear I can tell a difference. Newspaper and styrofoam is the best.

I guess I should try straw in a wooden box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky