A small run of Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Only problem, I am in no mans land, I don't have a smoker I can use. I'm hoping to have this resolved this week.
When you are up and running, just cure 2 weeks with the numbers we have said, smoke with cherry/hickory, or cherry/pecan, and you will have arrived.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I wasn't going to bother posting, but hey, it's bacon!

Used my standard dry cure:
1.5% salt
0.75% sugar (I usually use brown sugar)
0.25% Cure#1
I didn't use any additional spices in this batch, and honestly, I don't really find that garlic and other spices really come through in the finished bacon. You're only getting spice on the very edge of each slice since the additional spices don't really penetrate the meat like the salt and cure do.
Cured for 14 days, and let dry for 24 hours on a rack in the fridge.
View attachment 631230

I ran just a smoke tube with a 50/50 blend of cherry and hickory for the first couple hours, then ran the Camp Chef at 160* with the same pellet blend until they hit 145*. You gotta love that color the cherry brings out!

View attachment 631231

Rested on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours, then sliced. The one on the left really didn't have much meat to fat, so I cubed it up to grind for use in other things.
View attachment 631232

View attachment 631233
Just started curing a half butt last Tuesday.

Reactions: DougE

1.5% salt
0.25% Cure#1
I didn't use any additional spices in this batch, and honestly, I don't really find that garlic and other spices really come through in the finished bacon. You're only getting spice on the very edge of each slice since the additional spices don't really penetrate the meat like the salt and cure do.
View attachment 631230

I ran just a smoke tube with a 50/50 blend of cherry and hickory for the first couple hours, then ran the Camp Chef at 160* with the same pellet blend until they hit 145*. You gotta love that color the cherry brings out!

View attachment 631231

Rested on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours, then sliced. The one on the left really didn't have much meat to fat, so I cubed it up to grind for use in other things.
View attachment 631232

View attachment 631233
Great looking bacon! Made some miself and the only complaint I had was -not enough fat! Taste good thow.

1.5% salt
0.25% Cure#1
View attachment 631230

View attachment 631231

View attachment 631232

View attachment 631233
Looks awesome I really need to try some BB bacon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky