a question on Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbally

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 24, 2007
Western Colorado
One of my personal peeves is bone creep, or shrink that shows the bone when the ribs are cooked.

I used to be able to get IBP here and can not longer get them through our purveyor. I am wondering if any of you have found a packing house that cuts the ribs correctly so that bone creep does not show up?

Now that ya say it, IBP ribs don't have the pull back that others do. And around here, IBP is the only ribs we can get that ain't enhancedwith the solution. My comp ribs come from a local butcher, high priced, but...... They are cut rite, for me, he also cuts comp chicken for me.

I'm not sure of any other brands, Kirkland?, check Sam's, the 2 I hit don't have enhanced meat. I will look around for brands that you may be able to get in CO?.

Thanks for teaching me something new. IBP I had to google it "Iowa Beef Packers", never heard of the company before.

So the creep you are mentioning is "pullback" or when the rib sometimes on the non-meat side comes out?

Hmmm I never thought of "pullback" as a negative, I buy cryopacked from Sam's or Costco for ribs, my butcher is just too expensive. The Sam's and Costco ribs always have pull back. I have listened to a 1 hour "Rib" discussion with 6 top competition BBQ cookers and all were using ribs that had "pullback" since they discussed "pullback" for almost 30 minutes. So I am curious if "creep" is pullback?

I can't help on the IBP ribs Bob, but the ones you smoke are fantastic! I always thought of the "pull back" as a good handle.
biggrin.gif

Yes pull back is bone creep. The meat is actually pulling back and exposing the bone. Hate it,,,, not professional.... this is caused by the packing house buying unfinished hogs or their trim spec is to close.

I don't mind the bone creep on the feeding of field crews, but on caterings it just looks like you don't know what you are doing with selecting meat.

Have you tried Excel?

I have always been happy with that brand. I can't say that I have really watched for the pull back too closely, but mine is generally minimal.

Edit: that is for spares.....I don't do enough loin/baby back to comment.

Not smoking ribs for long, I always looked for that pull back as a sign of time to foil. When I don't get it I worried that I was doing something wrong. I'm Learning everyday reading this forum.

LOL I just started laughing about this question when I read your thoughts on Excel in your St. Louis tutorial.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

We do agree on one thing though......Swift is the worse.

But pullback is used in just about all restaurants, BBQ or not, as their way to tell when ribs are done.
I don't see how it could be considered "unprofessional" to serve ribs with pullback considering that is the norm for rib service.

Use bob evans ribs, them give ya all kinds a pull back!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

I use Smithfields, there's some but not more then 1/4 ta 1/2 inch at most. Nobody done complained yet though. I've always used the pull back ta help judge ifin them ribs is gettin done, that an the floppy test.

IBP got a perty good product, but I've had fresh slabs outa the meat market that tasted real well an still pulled back (though it was minimal). I know them fellers got (had) top knotch meat. The place burnt down an hopin they re-build.

I have used smithfields, product is good. Don't trust it by the case though.

Joe I saw that response. I think Excel packs some good products. My problem is consistancy, 20 cases you know three will be crap.

For the restaurant pull back deal:

Depends on the price being paid for the meal. Utility cooking or catering people expect to have cheaper meat. And will live with white bones sticking out like some type of muscle with a compound fracture. But the hire end you go on your food the more sophisticated the consumer. In catering you charge $45 per plate for ribs and have bone creep, they are going to know you went down in carcass grade, or worse yet, purchased no roll. People know the differnce in meat grades when they start being willing to spend real money on food. And that will get you fired from the job in the future.

It also shows you spend no time looking at and inspecting you meat. I reject a lot of cases of meat that come in without the proper cover. You want to keep the warehouse in the mode where you never get sent the crap. Reject a couple cases every quarter back to the warehouse and they begin to realize you are not the place they should send their crap cases.

Pull back comes from in proper cover on the cut. That either means the packing house purchased unfinished animals, or the cutter screwed up the trim. Either way I don't want it for a catering.

Don't get me wrong, the meat will usually taste fine, but given the choice at the store I will feel up a lot of ribs prior to selecting one. I even leave stores for a different store if they have all crap.

Don't get me wrong, it is not for everyone, but for those that want to learn to select the ribs with the proper cover, there are rewards in a nicer looking product, at tastier product and an excellent presentation at table side.

Now I am adding the emoticon disclaimer, I am not picking on anyone and not trying to tell people to do things different, I am just saying this is something to think about adding to your knowledge. Add in the smilies and crap like that so you realize I am just passing on information about how it works when you do it for your catering money.

We do not utility cater so I can not speak for those down in the $18 per plate cost events.

this is a new one to me, the bone sticking out 1/4 to 1/2 inch makes me proud. when you put them in the comp boxes the judges like that!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky