A Potato Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Going to drive into the ditch with this one but should turn out good. Very unconventional portion of meats but working with what I have and just making some sausage.

366g of pork butt
454g of ground Bison
180g of fat cap from the butt.
Should give me around 30% fat all said maybe a smidge less. Will dice and roast the potatoes and will caramelize the onion cool it all and grind. The bison and cap fat will go through the 1/8 plate while the pork will go through 1/4” plate. This will help distribute the fat for a juicy sausage.

View attachment 676399
Is this a normal sausage in the northern states? Have never had potato sausage but it looks very tasty. I have never even seen potato sausage here in Louisiana, dosent mean it isn't here, I just never seen it anywhere. I'm certainly going to try this, thanks for sharing.

Is this a normal sausage in the northern states? Have never had potato sausage but it looks very tasty. I have never even seen potato sausage here in Louisiana, dosent mean it isn't here, I just never seen it anywhere. I'm certainly going to try this, thanks for sharing.
This is a Swedish sausage. Many varieties and I was “driving in the ditch” or doing a take off of the Swedish standard. I’m American. I make it work for me.

Eating these tonight with white beans and ham. Will be delicious. That’s what it’s all about for me, good delicious food for the family.

Reactions: DougE
This is a Swedish sausage. Many varieties and I was “driving in the ditch” or doing a take off of the Swedish standard. I’m American. I make it work for me.
Yes a Scandinavian item. Meant as a filler to extend the meat.
I'm Scandinavian (both Norwegian and Swede), but we were not a regular sausage eating family and was never served potato sausage as a meal.

Meat extenders I know a few others

Brits have their Bangers that I believe originated in WW I and changed again during WW III.
Now they know as a rusk (bread crumb) filler sausage.

Hmm not far from a rice filled sausage one finds in the deep south?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
These look great Eric, and the flavours sound good also.
Looks like a good blend , will have to try your way also.

I have made potato sausage ( imagine me using potatoes in something )
But the recipe I had , showed not cooked potato, and it turned out good.
Mine was good as a breakfast kind of sausage

3.JPG 6.JPG

More of a hash in casing,

David

Yes a Scandinavian item. Meant as a filler to extend the meat.
I'm Scandinavian (both Norwegian and Swede), but we were not a regular sausage eating family and was never served potato sausage as a meal.

Meat extenders I know a few others

Brits have their Bangers that I believe originated in WW I and changed again during WW III.
Now they know as a rusk (bread crumb) filler sausage.

Hmm not far from a rice filled sausage one finds in the deep south?
Yes, what you have explained sounds like our boudin, rice was used as the filler. Very interesting how these things have remained in cultures, extended to others and cherished by most today.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks great from here! Have made some before but using diferent recipe gut did not care for it. Your's looks good, like the spice mix so will be making some next week. The spice mix -is it for 1kg? Also -how much of the potatoes and onions ? Thanks for posting and the inspiration.

Last edited:
SE, I believe you nailed that one, good looking sausage!
Thank you CM. These did come out well, I may up the potatoes in the next batch.

These look great Eric, and the flavours sound good also.
Looks like a good blend , will have to try your way also.

I have made potato sausage ( imagine me using potatoes in something )
But the recipe I had , showed not cooked potato, and it turned out good.
Mine was good as a breakfast kind of sausage
Thank you David. I’ve made a few different sausage with dice uncooked potato or blanched potatoes, but this one I wanted to try some caramelized potatoes just for the added value of flavor and it did that for sure. I may have to try a batch your way for breakfast type for sure.

Looks great from here! Have made some before but using diferent recipe gut did not care for it. Your's looks good, like the spice mix so will be making some next week. The spice mix -is it for 1kg? Also -how much of the potatoes and onions ? Thanks for posting and the inspiration.
Posted recipe is for 1Kg meat. I used 500g of raw Yukon Gold potatoes but after roasting they lost more than half their weight, next time I will probably up that amount just a bit. I used half of a medium onion then caramelized, that seemed about right flavor wise.

I wanted to try some caramelized potatoes just for the added value of flavor and it did that for sure.

I bet it did bring the flavour ,as fried potato and onion is very distinct , and I flavour I love.
This would be a great sausage I could get into.

Thanks for the amounts you posted , but like you said the right amount of onion and maybe a little more on the spuds.

Thanks

David

Thank you CM. These did come out well, I may up the potatoes in the next batch.

Thank you David. I’ve made a few different sausage with dice uncooked potato or blanched potatoes, but this one I wanted to try some caramelized potatoes just for the added value of flavor and it did that for sure. I may have to try a batch your way for breakfast type for sure.

Posted recipe is for 1Kg meat. I used 500g of raw Yukon Gold potatoes but after roasting they lost more than half their weight, next time I will probably up that amount just a bit. I used half of a medium onion then caramelized, that seemed about right flavor wise.
Thanks for your reply. Am getting my ducks in a row and it's going to be made.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky