A Potato Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Going to drive into the ditch with this one but should turn out good. Very unconventional portion of meats but working with what I have and just making some sausage.

366g of pork butt
454g of ground Bison
180g of fat cap from the butt.
Should give me around 30% fat all said maybe a smidge less. Will dice and roast the potatoes and will caramelize the onion cool it all and grind. The bison and cap fat will go through the 1/8 plate while the pork will go through 1/4” plate. This will help distribute the fat for a juicy sausage.

IMG_1644.jpeg

So here is the mess. The ground potato and onion will be added at the very end just to incorporate right before stuffing. We have to get a good protein extraction on the meat and get the spices mixed in before adding the potatoes and onions.

IMG_1646.jpeg

So we are seasoned up on the meat.

1.5% salt
2g fresh cracked black pepper
1g white pepper
1g Allspice
1g marjoram
1g coriander
1g cardamom
1g celery seed
3g granulated garlic
zest of one small lemon.

IMG_1647.jpeg

All mixed and ready to stuff, I did add about 1/4 cup of water and again the potato onion mixture goes in at the very end. It’s a flavor enhancer but more of an extender. Let’s get this stuffed.

IMG_1648.jpeg

All rolled up ready for poach. Have to hurry so I can start supper. Lobster and scallops in a cream gravy over fresh pasta.

Now for the fry test. This is a very nicely flavored sausage. The potato comes through as does the onion but play in the back. Really nothing forward in flavor other than garlic, but I’ve learned that that will balance by tomorrow. Everything spice wise is working well together and blending well. This is delicious.

IMG_1651.jpeg

Looks good. I like potato sausage. Did a batch this spring with Waltons seasoning. Not bad, nothing fantastic. Did a slight cold smoke to it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Those look and sound terrific Edge. Excellent Job

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks like the wagon has already left....I was gonna jump on.

Good lookin sausage SE...
Thank you inda.

Looks good. I like potato sausage. Did a batch this spring with Waltons seasoning. Not bad, nothing fantastic. Did a slight cold smoke to it.
Thank you. Did you add potatoes or did the mix have potato flour in it?

Yes sir.

Those look good.
Thank you Rick.

Those look and sound terrific Edge. Excellent Job

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris. These are very tasty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky