A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great, i have built a few barn/shed doors Over the years and if I nailed the frame down flat as I was building it the sheeting would always hold it flat . I would think metal would work the same way, drill some holes and weld the door to the frame cut loose turn over hit a couple more licks lol

Reactions: seenred
Looks great, i have built a few barn/shed doors Over the years and if I nailed the frame down flat as I was building it the sheeting would always hold it flat . I would think metal would work the same way, drill some holes and weld the door to the frame cut loose turn over hit a couple more licks lol

Thanks Mike!

You'd think that might hold true with metal too...but the problem is the intense heat involved in welding. When being welded, mild carbon steel reaches temps of up to 2000* F. That kind of heat will cause the metal to expand, and then contract as it cools. This is what causes welded panels to warp and/or distort. It does help to clamp and secure panels in some way while welding, but it's impossible to completely prevent heat distortion...you simply have to figure out ways to reduce or counteract the distortion - like welding in short stitches to reduce heat and allow cooling, or applying welds on opposing sides of the panel to work against each other.

Red

This is how I do it……Start in the center with only a single short 1/4 inch spot weld parallel across from each other then the opposite X all 2 inches from the center, be quick spot spot spot spot (ie so all 4 spots are in place before the first starts to cool)…..let cool….then 1/4 inch spots 2 inches from the outside edge same pattern as center….then let cool…..then, spot the mid point….. after that work out from the center same 1/4 spots @ 2 inch spaces with cool time after each round of spots……. But there is always risk of a warp……

But I will note I didn’t put cross supports on the copper pot or X-Fire. The edge is an angle frame that the door plate is stitched in with 1/4 inch spots. No issues and your edge band will act similar……

Reactions: seenred
Afternoon Friends!

I've made good progress this week on Jim's smoker! Seems like the last update was getting the 2 boxes welded together. So this week I've been working on getting a cart fabricated and getting this heavy beast on casters so I can safely move it around in the shop.

Got a basic frame for the cart laid out and tacked together.

img102.jpg

Next I cut out some 1/4" caster plates to bolt the casters to. These will be welded to the bottom of the legs on the cart.

img104.jpg

Cart frame all welded out, with the casters bolted on. Still have to weld in a couple cross braces to have something to weld expanded metal to - for a storage rack.

img105.jpg

Before finishing out the cart, I wanted to make sure it all lined up and fit good under the smoker...looks pretty good!

img106.jpg

img107.jpg

So I finished welding out the cart - added 2 cross braces and the expanded metal.

img108.jpg

And here she is all welded together! I still have a couple welds to run underneath the CC and FB. I'll probably get those finished next time I in the shop.

img109.jpg

The final height is 70 1/2", but that's without the stack, which I'll get cut and installed soon. The overall length from stem to stern is 55", but again...that's with a pull handle mounted on the left side, which I'll build next time I'm out there.

img110.jpg

img111.jpg

img112.jpg

So that's where I'm at now. This thing is closer to being finished than I realized! I've got a short list of small jobs to do, but It's gonna be ready for a test burn before long! If that goes well, I should be ready for paint soon after.

I told Jim it'd probably be Spring before it was finished - turns out that was pretty accurate!

As always, I really appreciate ya'll following along!

More to come soon...

Red

That is looking awesome... GREAT JOB...

Myself... I would have liked to seen the cart a little longer under the firebox... Just for more stability ... But it should be fine tho...

Reactions: okiwen
Man, that's looking awesome. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Thank you Friend!

That is looking awesome... GREAT JOB...

Myself... I would have liked to seen the cart a little longer under the firebox... Just for more stability ... But it should be fine tho...

Thanks Keith!

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about that. I wanted to reach a happy medium between stability and maneuverability. What finally decided it for me was, I looked at pics of the two commercial smokers that are most similar to this one in size and shape: the LoneStar Grillz 30" Vertical Offest, and the Yoder Stockton Vertical Offset. Both of these smokers have the cart and wheels right at the midpoint of the firebox.

You're the only fabricator I know who is following this build - so please keep the input coming...it's always appreciated!

Red

Very nice!

As long as the the weight balance is ok and it doesn’t want to pop a wheely on the fire box side it should be ok. I had to make my cart longer on the copper pot because the balance wasn’t right. You have enough mass in the CC I don’t think tilting in that axis will be an issue!

Before you weld on the stack check that it can clear a standard height garage door. My XFire stake will be a bolt on be cause it’s too tall with it…..

B beerbeer95648 has a really good idea for a fold down stack...

That is a thing of beauty !

Thank you sir!

Very nice!

As long as the the weight balance is ok and it doesn’t want to pop a wheely on the fire box side it should be ok. I had to make my cart longer on the copper pot because the balance wasn’t right. You have enough mass in the CC I don’t think tilting in that axis will be an issue!

Before you weld on the stack check that it can clear a standard height garage door. My XFire stake will be a bolt on be cause it’s too tall with it…..

That's something I'll definitely be watching, but shouldn't be an issue with this pit. The pit builder I got lots of technical advice from says the stack on a vertical offset doesn't have to be very long - which made sense to me cuz all the VOs I've looked at had short stacks.

And I'm not worried about the weight balance. The CC outweighs the FB by at least 200 lbs. Most of the weight is centered right between wheels.
B beerbeer95648 has a really good idea for a fold down stack...

I checked out his thread - that's a nice build! :emoji_thumbsup:

Coming along awesome. That build makes me want one in that style also. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

LOL! Just like a smoker builder - haven't even finished you current build and already wanting to start another one! :emoji_wink:

Thanks for all the likes guys!

Red

For what is worth….. I started with this size of stack on the VC of the CP….
IMG_2056.jpeg

After the test burn I wasn’t happy with the draw……

So it grew a bit……
IMG_2740.jpeg

This made a huge difference……

This is the stack I have on the XFire…….
IMG_4267.jpeg

But I’m going to test a littler taller as I get some smoke spillage when I grill open door, but I don’t what too much draw cause I like how smokey the chamber is and the fires burn really nicely…..

Shirley’s put a short large diameter which is the concept of the XF. The CP is smaller dia so it needed more…..

Anyway just food for thought….

Looks great Red, fun following with the build. That is a heavy son of a gun.

I don't do metal work. But I think I can build one out of some good finish wood and a few coats of marine spar varnish. lol :emoji_laughing: 🤠

Jim is going to love this smoker, and I see he will be able to get quite a few packages of hot dogs in there .

David

Dang it Red! Now I gotta get off my arse and get this thing paid for. Been dragging my feet cause I know how I am. Once its paid for my anxiousness to get it skyrockets! And I didnt wanna be hounding you. Now its all on me.
I'm feeling like a new dad getting close to delivery day. Its gonna be a beauty! And I was second guessing myself going with the bigger casters.....But now that I it, im glad I did. It'll roll much easier.

Jim

Last edited:
For what is worth….. I started with this size of stack on the VC of the CP….
View attachment 693570
After the test burn I wasn’t happy with the draw……

So it grew a bit……
View attachment 693569

This made a huge difference……

This is the stack I have on the XFire…….
View attachment 693573
But I’m going to test a littler taller as I get some smoke spillage when I grill open door, but I don’t what too much draw cause I like how smokey the chamber is and the fires burn really nicely…..

Shirley’s put a short large diameter which is the concept of the XF. The CP is smaller dia so it needed more…..

Anyway just food for thought….

Interesting...I've been assuming a shorter stack - about the length of the one you put on the Xfire, would be plenty (I'm going with 4"x4" sq. tubing). The pit builder I talked to says that, since the vertical CC itself is basically a big chimney, a shorter stack will suffice. Now you've got me thinking I might need to experiment with a few burns before I finalize the stack height.

Thanks for the info!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky