A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Morning Jim! Yep...it's really starting to take shape. Won't be long until I'm ready to weld the CC and the FB together and get it on it's cart.

Red
This will be a very cool day!!!! Well I mean hot day!!!!….. well crap….searching for …. Ah the word is awesome!!! Yes awesome!

Awesome work Red!!!

Appreciate the kind words, Bruce! And thanks for looking!

Wow my friend, that is looking top notch! Boy, Jim is gonna be like a kid on Christmas morning when he gets that!

Howdy Justin! Thanks for lookin' in, my friend! I hope Jim will be real happy with it!

This will be a very cool day!!!! Well I mean hot day!!!!….. well crap….searching for …. Ah the word is awesome!!! Yes awesome!

:emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile:

I really hope I get it finished before really hot days get here! I'd love to see Jim cookin' on it by the time hot weather rolls around...

Thanks for the kind words!

Red

Happy Friday evening, Friends!

Just sitting here sipping on a cocktail and thought I'd make a quick update. I'm making decent progress on the main CC assembly, and approaching the time when I'll be ready to weld the 2 boxes together and get it on a cart.

So I think the last step I posted was working on the cooking racks and the rack rails. Well the rails are all welded in place, and I finished fabricating all four cooking racks.

img76.jpg

I think I mentioned the dimensions of each rack - they're each 26 1/2" wide and 23 1/2" deep. A total of almost 2500 sq. inches of cooking space.

img77.jpg

img78.jpg

So I've also been working on a coal basket to put in the bottom of the CC so Jim can do direct fire cooking. I want to thank civilsmoker civilsmoker for that inspiration - his suggestion, and a good one! IMO this is gonna make this cooker more versatile than most stick burner pits. At first I was trying to design a drop-in coal grate that would drop directly into the water/ash pan. But because of clearance challenges, Jim and I decided to change it up a little. He'll remove the bottom cooking grate, and replace it with a slide-in coal basket...which still gives him 3 large cooking racks for direct cooking.

Anyway, I got that finished up this afternoon. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

img80.jpg

img81.jpg

img82.jpg

Taking the day off tomorrow to spend the day with our boys, their wives and the grandkids. But the CC assembly is nearing completion. Still have to fabricate the CC door assembly - hinges, handle, latches, door flange. I'll probably work on that next time I'm in the shop. Then it'll be about time to put it all together!

Hope all ya'll have a great weekend! I hope I'll have another progress update by sometime next week.

Thanks for looking,
Red

that coal basket set up is pure awesomeness!!!!!! Well done!!!

Man oh man I would love to cook in that baby! I can see a chimney of coals in that basket and searing up a mess of things…..veggies, steaks etc…..oh and it’s big enough that Jim can do a 50/50 to indirect cook as well or have gradation of coals so differential heat, ie searing area and then a slow roasting…….also sear on the bottom then move to the second or top to slowly roast to temp…………

By the way I’m 100% sold in the vertical CC over the barrel….. just way better airflow design!

Oh I’m also going to point out that Jim can get some hooks and hang bird parts from the top rack and fire roast them as well……

Last edited:
Some say enabling……the wise say guidance to a big smile……

The 50/50 almost brings tears of joy…..
IMG_4536.jpeg

Flying bird parts makes memories…..
IMG_5676.jpeg

That bring joy…..
IMG_5679.jpeg

All of which will soon be in Jim’s future when he is enabled with happiness…….which will stoke flames of satisfaction…..
IMG_8782.jpeg

…….oh and Jim will have a pretty nice smoker too…..LOL…..

that coal basket set up is pure awesomeness!!!!!! Well done!!!

Man oh man I would love to cook in that baby! I can see a chimney of coals in that basket and searing up a mess of things…..veggies, steaks etc…..oh and it’s big enough that Jim can do a 50/50 to indirect cook as well or have gradation of coals so differential heat, ie searing area and then a slow roasting…….also sear on the bottom then move to the second or top to slowly roast to temp…………

By the way I’m 100% sold in the vertical CC over the barrel….. just way better airflow design!

Oh I’m also going to point out that Jim can get some hooks and hang bird parts from the top rack and fire roast them as well……

Thanks Brother! Took me most of a day of pondering, scribbling, and measuring before I landed on the final design - but I'm real happy with how it turned out. And all credit to you - I woulda never thought of it without your suggestion.

And I agree - I think this is gonna be a truly multifunction cooker!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Jim, make a list... you might be suffering from some enabling! Hehehehe!

Ryan

Now Ryan - you know there ain't no enabling goin' on around here - just happy suggestions! :emoji_wink:

Some say enabling……the wise say guidance to a big smile……

The 50/50 almost brings tears of joy…..
View attachment 691001

Flying bird parts makes memories…..
View attachment 690998
That bring joy…..
View attachment 690999
All of which will soon be in Jim’s future when he is enabled with happiness…….which will stoke flames of satisfaction…..
View attachment 691000

…….oh and Jim will have a pretty nice smoker too…..LOL…..

Lol lots of cool pics of your cooker in action buddy! I'm hoping Jim's new pit can do all those things...

Thanks again guys!

Red

seenred seenred that looks even better than what I had pictured in my head after talking with you on the phone. And is that the firebox its sitting on? gives me a idea of the height of it!
And after looking at civilsmoker civilsmoker pics thinking I could almost get rid of the kettle. Oh lordy the things I can do!
Brokenhandle Brokenhandle you may be right....the possibilities of self enabling for hanging hooks and etc are endless!

Jim

I think the last build pics should be the look on your face when you first see it! That will be priceless! Not to mention if you move you will be the best new neighbor in town... as long as your neighbors aren't vegans lol!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky