A Basic Question About Wood Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As someone who is new to smoking, I figure there is a learning curve. If I were to get a direct heat smoker would the skills I learn translate to an RF smoker, or would I basically be starting over from scratch?

BEAR DOWN!

It's really not that complicated,  I think you will have a harder time using a direct heat smoker then a RF because the heat isn't as even.  I learned on an ECB, probably the most difficult, then moved to a side car   a whole different set of problems and I now have the small Lang.  The Lang is a lot easier then any of the other types

I just spoke with Ben Lang today and we were talking about the 36 hybrid versus a patio 48. I'm limited in how big the unit can be to get it into my backyard (I have to take it through my front door to get it in the backyard). Anyway, not sure I want to part with a charcoal grill yet (and he confirmed you can grill on the smoker but it's not really what it's best at). Are you happy with the size (I'm assuming by small you mean the 36?). Do you find its big enough for what you need (I never cook for more than 10 people) Are you happy with your Lang? Have you tried grilling with it, and if so how was it? Any info you could give me about the small Lang would be great!

Thanks again!

BEAR DOWN!

The Hybrid is double the price of the standard 36!!! That is an aweful expensive grill to add on!!! I will stick with my 36 and a Weber......

The Hybrid is double the price of the standard 36!!! That is an aweful expensive grill to add on!!! I will stick with my 36 and a Weber......
I'm not sure that information is completely correct. Call Ben Lang and get a quote.

I ordered a Lang 36" Hybrid a couple of weeks ago and it is currently on the production line with another SMF member's unit bound for Arizona.

Today I talked to Lang and they said both our 36"'s will be complete by this Friday and ready to ship. The other unit going down the production line is being built has a custom width of 34" so it can fit through a door.

Many things are pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'll post some pics after delivery next week and I'm sure the happy smoker from Arizona will do the same!

WC

Yep, I spoke with Ben this morning too. Mine is actually the custom 34 inch unit (have to fit it through the front door of my house to get it onto my patio). I liked the hybrid design because of the fact that it consolidates all my smoking/grilling into one unit--nice for someone like me whose space is limited. Can't wait to get it--hopefully I can find some wood once it gets here! Not a lot of it sitting around down here on the desert.

BEAR DOWN!

I'm not sure that information is completely correct. Call Ben Lang and get a quote.

I ordered a Lang 36" Hybrid a couple of weeks ago and it is currently on the production line with another SMF member's unit bound for Arizona.

Today I talked to Lang and they said both our 36"'s will be complete by this Friday and ready to ship. The other unit going down the production line is being built has a custom width of 34" so it can fit through a door.

Many things are pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'll post some pics after delivery next week and I'm sure the happy smoker from Arizona will do the same!
Ben is the one who quoted me that price. He said $1895 or thereabouts for the 36 Hybrid, which makes sense after looking at the website at the 48 and 48 hybrid..... Look at their website at the 48 patio. It's $1,595. The Hybrid version is $3,445. You are talking almost twice the price for a warmer and a charcoal grill...... That's is waaaaaaay crazy!!!! Geez, you could buy two 48 regular patios for that!!!  Do you realize you can get a freakin 60 Deluxe for that price?????? You could almost buy a 84 original !!!!!

Last edited:
Last night I posted on this thread and found out that I unknowingly advertised myself. I apologize for this because I know there are paid advertisers who support this great site.If I could afford it,I would advertise here also. Rest assured this will not happen again. Once again I apologize.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky