4th Welding Project: Very Ambitious Vertical Cabinet Smoker Build (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I'll preface this with a heartfelt apology to all my SMF friends. I've missed a ton of amazing stuff recently due to simply not having time to follow everything that's been going on. This is my crazy time of year at work. All the builders are trying to get their construction projects to certain points of completion and inspected (by me) before the holiday shut down so the schedule has been full for the past few weeks. Add to that every spare minute I've has has been spent working on this smoker build and I've been completely covered up.

I have seen a couple of recent builds by people that look absolutely amazing. Truly works of art. Sadly mine does not come anywhere close to what those guys have done but based on a severe lack of experience and equipment I've done the best I could. My metal fabrication tools include a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, a Milwaukee drill, a MIG welder I bought a couple months ago, and a Ryobi 4 1/2" angle grinder. That's about it. My "shop" is a very limited amount of space in the garage and to get that space I had to park the truck in the driveway for a while.Needless to say, I'm working in a very rudimentary environment :emoji_wink: Now, this is a concept for the build that I've never seen or heard of. I came up with this brain fart all by myself after thinking through it for a couple weeks and deciding it might actually work. Took the plunge and ordered some plate steel from a local supplier and started cutting stuff. Literally I made this up piece by piece as I went with no plans at all, just an idea. Please bear in mind as you go through this that I've never welded a thing until very recently so the welding technique is a work in progress.

First project was a small table top Santa Maria grill I put together with leftover pieces from previous cookers and some scrap metal I had laying around. I posted this one a little while back.
IMG_4109.JPG

Second project was a considerably larger Santa Maria grill I built for our good friend John ( SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) and did some custom stuff for him. This one was kinda tricky having to re-fabricate all the mounting hardware for the rotisserie
007.jpg

Third project was a battle tank that doubles as a multi purpose cooker. My neighbor fell in love with this one and immediately bought it.
20211207_153631.jpg

20211207_153725.jpg

Now to my 4th project...my new vertical cabinet smoker. Started out by building the side panels. Please note the two channels running up each panel with the holes cut in them. They will open into the top of the fire box....at least that's the plan. The large holes in the bottom are for the lower dampers. These panels are 2' x 5'.
IMG_4356.JPG

Side panels attached to the back, the first plate installed between the fire box & cook chamber, and a heat deflector fabricated. You'll understand shortly.
IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

Bottom installed, casters bolted on, and fire box door in place.
IMG_4364.JPG

Cook chamber door and stay-cool handles installed. These hinges wound up not working so I had to cut them off and use different ones. Please excuse the clutter in my "shop". I just don't have a lot of space but own a ton of stuff.
IMG_4367.JPG

Fabricate the dampers for the fire box
IMG_4370.JPG

All the major components assembled and now it's time to stand it up. Had to use the tractor with the loader bucket and heavy duty straps to do this. It's WAY too heavy for one person to handle. Tack the dampers in place till I get them exactly where I want them then complete the welds
IMG_4371.JPG

The burner assemble I put together. Looks like something out of Battle Star Galactica but it works great.
IMG_4372.JPG

Put one inch of concrete material on top of the plate between the fire box and cook chamber.
IMG_4408.JPG

Add a second steel plate on top of the concrete material. The idea of the 2 steel plates, the concrete, and heat deflector plate are to avoid a direct heat blast into the bottom of the cook chamber and direct the heat to the channels on the sides.
IMG_4410.JPG

Install the guides for the cooking grates
IMG_4411.JPG

Grates all built
IMG_4413.JPG

Hey!! They actually fit.
IMG_4414.JPG

Drill for all the hardware, install it, and make sure it all fits and works as intended. Remove the hardware, tape off the handles, and shoot the first coat of paint.
IMG_4417.JPG

Looking pretty good in my estimation.
IMG_4421.JPG

All the hardware reinstalled and rolled out to the patio....by myself. This was a HUGE undertaking as I had 4 steps to get up and down and this thing is monstrously heavy.
IMG_4440.JPG

Burner assembly installed and the grate I built to set the smoker wood pan on top of
IMG_4443.JPG

Wait!! What's this? A bottle of bourbon I received from our friend Jim ( JLeonard JLeonard ) in our Christmas exchange and a tumbler with some ice cubes in it. Must be an omen....and a good one at that :emoji_wink:
IMG_4445.JPG

For having basically zero experience metal fabricating I am not disappointed with the final outcome. Heck, I even trimmed the outside with angle iron to finish it off and look nice.
IMG_4453.JPG

Time to fire it up for the initial burn in. I have a bit of paint touch up to do so have not removed the tape yet. Pics are a bit out of order. I did manage to achieve the highly sought after TBS.
003.jpg

My objective with this design was to attain perfectly balanced temps throughout the cook chamber. These are Tel Tru competition grade thermometers and are spot on. I confirmed with the boiling water test. Looks like I managed to hit on at least one aspect of my intended design
004.jpg

So I got the TBS, the balanced temps, and ran the burn-in for about 6 hours on Thursday. Time to toss on a rack of St. Louis ribs Friday just as a test run for Christmas dinner. I'm OK with what is happening here.
009.jpg

As stated in the title, this was a very ambitious build with my extremely limited experience and rudimentary tools. Although a ton of work and taking 3 weeks to the day of afternoons and weekends to do, I am very happy with the outcome. Giving some consideration to selling this one and building a smaller one. This is WAY bigger than we need. Heck, you can get 6 whole packer briskets on it, or 12 pork butts,or 9-12 racks of ribs. That's a bit more than two of us would need for a dinner. The beauty of this design is the tremendous cooking capacity from a rig that has such a small foot print. It does not take up a lot of space but you can cook a ton of food on it.

Well, this has been a LONG post and I have things to wrap up from yesterday. Hoping everybody had a great Christmas and are looking forward to a happy New Year. Thank you for dropping in and if you made it all the way to the end of this, you're destined for sainthood :emoji_laughing:

See y'all again soon I hope,
Robert

For a man with little knowledge of metal fabrication, that came out fantastic. I really like the idea of using the concrete as a high temperature guard. From someone that is a fabricator for a living, great job sir. Can't wait to see how this smokes. It just may change some of my smoker build plans.

Eow! You were so self deprecating in the beginning that I was not expecting the end product! I’d say you definitely have a lot of talent and great work bringing that vision to reality! Big points for a lot of work done well!

For a "rookies work" it looks darn good to me (not that I'm a expert)! Really like how you did the channels for the heat and smoke. Does it carry the way you want it too? How much does that thing weigh? Glad you liked the bourbon I sent.
Jim

That's just plain awesome Robert! So that's what happens when you drink too many margaritas through the year... you go and build a tank of a smoker! Great job!
Wish you and your family a late merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Ryan

That is one truly amazing piece of work Robert, the planning and execution show a ton of talent, feel proud my friend! It must have been a great feeling to bite into those perfect looking ribs after the inaugural cook, well done amigo! RAY

For a man with little knowledge of metal fabrication, that came out fantastic. I really like the idea of using the concrete as a high temperature guard. From someone that is a fabricator for a living, great job sir. Can't wait to see how this smokes. It just may change some of my smoker build plans.

Wow...what can I say other than thank you. Those are some very high compliments which are very much appreciated. This project was a bit intimidating because I had no idea whatsoever if it would work or not. If it didn't, I had a lot of time and money tied up in a big pile of scrap metal. Turns out that the concept was valid. The heat barrier works like a champ. Overall a great approach but after two cooks on it I'll say there is room for improvement. Should you decide to undertake something along these lines feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll share with you what I learned about the functionality and how to improve it. No sense in eating up a ton of bandwidth here.

Looks great !!

Thanks so much.

I’d say you definitely have a lot of talent and great work bringing that vision to reality! Big points for a lot of work done well!

I appreciate it Jed but I'd hardly call it talent. More of a guy whose ambitions far exceed his skill level but a determination to see the project through to the finish :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow Robert they all look top notch, you have some real talent,

Thank you Jim!!

Really like how you did the channels for the heat and smoke. Does it carry the way you want it too? How much does that thing weigh? Glad you liked the bourbon I sent.

Truth be told Jim, getting the heat and smoke from the fire box to the cook chamber was the biggest obstacle I had to overcome in my mind before starting. The channels work great but there could be some improvement on the next one. Not necessary per se just a bit more efficient. I checked the cook chamber a few times during the burn in to see if the smoke was even throughout the cook chamber and it was. Smoke and heat are amazingly well balanced. Insofar as the weight, I honestly have o way of knowing for sure but I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 pounds.

Damn nice job there Robert!

Thank you my friend!! Sure am hoping to get some inspiring news from your home front. You continue to stay the course and we will continue to send the thoughts and prayers. Please give Sue a hug for me.

Robert

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
That's just plain awesome Robert! So that's what happens when you drink too many margaritas through the year... you go and build a tank of a smoker! Great job!
Wish you and your family a late merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Ryan

Yes sir Ryan, margaritas do have a magical quality about them, don't they? Thanks so much for the kind words and holiday wishes. Same to you and yours my friend.

Phenomenal! Wish I had that kind of talent, very well done Robert!

Thanks so much Justin but even an old bind dog is gonna find a bone once in a while :emoji_laughing:

The smoker....reverse flow? I did not see a pic. of where the stack exits the chamber.

Appreciate the accolades Keith. I don't think it would be considered reverse flow. The top stack is visible in several of the pics. You can really see it well in the one showing the TBS. It is a 4x6 chimney mounted on top of the smoker toward the rear.

Robert

Wow Robert! Anybody would be proud to have that cabinet on their patio. Incredible job. And you get the extra satisfaction of the build, major conversion piece as well. Very nice work. I bet you could stay as busy as you wanted fabricating on the side. You have come far in a very short time frame. Wouldn’t blame you if your chest was swollen just a little. Big like, Sir.

That unit looks insane!

Be very cool to see a mini version of it.

Thank you. The kind words are appreciated. I've decided that I'm going to sell this one and build a smaller version being that we don't need one this big. You may very well get your wish if somebody shows up with a handful of cash :emoji_wink: I won't start the other one till this one is sold though. I sure as heck don't need two of them. Well, in all honesty, I didn't need this one but wanted to build it just to see if I could.

I guess that pretty well sums it up :emoji_laughing:

It must have been a great feeling to bite into those perfect looking ribs after the inaugural cook, well done amigo!

Thank you very much my friend for all the encouragement and glowing accolades. Yes, there was much anticipation when the ribs went on the smoker and a certain feeling of gratification when they came off and hit the dinner table. I guess you could call it a sense of accomplishment.

Robert

Appreciate the accolades Keith. I don't think it would be considered reverse flow. The top stack is visible in several of the pics. You can really see it well in the one showing the TBS. It is a 4x6 chimney mounted on top of the smoker toward the rear.
Ah...ok. Thought you might have build a reverse flow cabinet smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky