3 Layer Meatloaf with Romanoff Potato Puff Cups, And BBQ Cake also

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
3 Layer Meatloaf with Romanoff Potato Puff Cups, Plus a Rhubarb, Blueberry, Cherry dump cake

Been a busy weekend, Moving in Mona's sister and her Husband, He is very sick and this way they can just worry about him for now.

So today is smoke day . Started with 1 1/2 pound beef, 1 pound pork and about a 1/4 pound of bacon fat cut of the end of a package that was only fat ( cut the rest to fry for inside the loaf) . The fat will cook in the loaf with the ground meat and keep it all juicy.

Mixed the 3 items up with chopped bread , oregano, Lawry's SS, ground pepper, and 2 tea brown sugar. Put in fridge to meld together.

Fry the chopped bacon, remove add the onions than the peppers, set all a side

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG
4.JPG 5.JPG

You can see the bacon fat in the meat mix, it will cook off with the meat
6.JPG

Fried up the onions and peppers with 3 eggs, to help hold things together.

7.JPG

after a couple hours of helping to move things around for the new folks living in the house ( in the addition we built few years back )
I pulled out the meat and split in half. Pressed out on 2 pieces of plastic wrap, add the pepper and onion mix to each one , than fold the halves over
on to themselves. Now you have two loaves. On 1 add all the cooked bacon and cheddar cheese. Top with the other loaf, and seal the seams .

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG 11.JPG

I than shaped a little tighter and added to a large bread loaf pan lined with foil. So i can lift out later. I then put the whole thing in the freezer for little less than an hour, so the meatloaf will keep its shape in the smoker as it sets with the cooking.
When it came out of the freezer I added some twine just for piece of mind as this is a heavy loaf, lol
Into the smoker at 260/275 deg. with Cherry chunks and chips, and a hand full of Mesquite chips also. Removed the string after 1 hour and also dropped off the foil.

12.JPG 13.JPG

14.JPG 15.JPG

16.JPG

While this was cooking I made the the Romanoff potatoes, I have done these before but a little different as these are for muffin cups .

Mashed potatoes, cayenne pepper, sautéed onions, green onions cheddar cheese and sour cream, mix all and it can be made ahead of time, so into the fridge for an hour or so.

17.JPG 18.JPG

When down to the last hour for the meat loaf get the BBQ going and heavy butter up my large muffin tray. Put the potato mix in to tins and onto the grill at 350 for 1 hour. When I had to temp only used the 2 outside burners.

19.JPG
20.JPG

They cooked very good but than they fell after I brought them out. ( my ratio was just a little off ,
I needed a little more potato in the mix ) just means I will have to do again, lol

In the last 45 minutes for the meatloaf , added the layer of mozza cheese until lightly browned.

21.JPG

Now the moment I have been waiting for , did it work and will it stay together

22.JPG

Huston we have a winner, and a little smoke ring also, nice and juicy to.
23.JPG

My plate

24.JPG
25.JPG

Thanks for looking , I know it was a long post , but it was a fun smoke , Oh my god I almost for got the dessert

So this is a Rhubarb, Blueberry Pie filling, Cherry Jello, Ginger ale Dump cake

Also into the BBQ for 45 minutes, THIS should not be allowed to be served, this was the easiest dessert and one of the tastiest cakes , I have ever had, with a big dollop of whip cream. Well time for a big nap after a couple bowls of that.

1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG

4.JPG

Thanks for making it to the end, enjoy the rest of your evening, I know I will. ( nap time , lol )

David

I'll be back later David... just scrolled through and looked at the pics for now! Still playing with new camper

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I'll be back later David... just scrolled through and looked at the pics for now! Still playing with new camper

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the love and the comment

Thank you , and totally understand, I am going down to ours tomorrow as it was a busy weekend her moving in Mona's sister and her Husband

Fun setting up the trailer for how we want to enjoy it .
I know you guys are already enjoying yours .

David

Last edited:
Wow David! Pictures look even better with the description! I really feel for you for having to make those potatoes again... lol! Best of wishes for Mona's sister and her husband.

Ryan

Boy that loaf sure looks good David, and to finish the meal off the bbq cake. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

I have a suggestion for a top layer on that meat loaf - Bacon!!!

1686578403536.png

have mercy! That is a great looking loaf and plate. And then you top it off with that dessert. I'd been worthless the rest of the day!

Jim

Wow David!! That is taking meatloaf to a whole new level. It's absolutely, insanely,over-the-top delicious looking. Very nice buddy and I bet there were some happy folks chowing down on that.
I really feel for you for having to make those potatoes again
But....but...but...where's the gravy? David, you been busting my chops over a lack of gravy. time for me to get a little dig in :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Wow David everything looks amazing...as usual! Love the tater idea and gotta try that and I'll also take a big bowl of cherry pie please 😍.

And so sorry about your BIL.
Will keep y'all in our prayers!

Keith

Last edited:
Wow David! Pictures look even better with the description! I really feel for you for having to make those potatoes again... lol! Best of wishes for Mona's sister and her husband.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the love and the comment

Yes it is a drag , but making these potatoes again really suck... lol
Was another fun build and eat.

Thank you for the kind words about BIL. It is going to be rough for awhile , and very sad.
It is 6:30 here this morning and the lake is flat . Got all his gear set up last night and I just noticed he is down on the dock fishing, One thing he really loves
and can still do. They are going in today to talk with the Palatiff ( spelling ) people today to find out the order of things to come . Very sad
DSC_7501 - Copy.JPG

Still takes him a bit to walk down but there is a storage box seat there for him, and most of the boating and tackle gear

David

Last edited:
Boy that loaf sure looks good David, and to finish the meal off the bbq cake. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

I have a suggestion for a top layer on that meat loaf - Bacon!!!

View attachment 667714

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

That looks good also must be for bacon cheese burgers... Mmmmm

It was a good meal and Dessert was really good, and yes bacon caps off a lot of things just right, that is why there was 1/2 pound or so of bacon in the middle, lol
And yes I have made a few bacon wrapped loafs or fatties if you will.
DSC_2347.JPG DSC_2350.JPG

Always fun to have and show people at supper time

David

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky