3 CHEESE SMOKING BLEW IT BIG TIME!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think I may have solved my cheese smoking issue. Thanks for all of the advise as cheese smoking if new to me. A big thanks to bmudd 14474 and flatbroke for sharing the link to A-MAZE-N 12" Pellet Tube Smoker. I follow Malcom Reed on YouTube and saw him using one with apple pellets. It was very simple.

Reactions: flatbroke
I will have BMudd send you the link. that is where I got it from
Thank you so much. I follow Malcom Reed on YouTube and he smoked cheese using one. I think this is the ticket. NO HEAT just smoke. Ordering tonight! Thanks again.......Tony aka HAWGING IT

Thank you so much. I follow Malcom Reed on YouTube and he smoked cheese using one. I think this is the ticket. NO HEAT just smoke. Ordering tonight! Thanks again.......Tony aka HAWGING IT
you my friend are welcome. best of luck and look forward to seeing you next attempt

Reactions: Hawging It
You'll get there. Just a few minor adjustments and you'll be smokin Pro class.
You already have the know-how, just a few polishing strokes and Wow!
I won't give up. Ordering a A-MAZE-N 12" Pellet Tube Smoker at the advice of bmudd and flatbroke. Thanks again.

We don't even attempt to eat the cheese until it has spent 2 weeks in the fridge vacuum sealed cause it tastes bad when just finished. I guess not everybody gets the nasty taste but many do.
You'll like the a-maze-n tube they work great

We don't even attempt to eat the cheese until it has spent 2 weeks in the fridge vacuum sealed cause it tastes bad when just finished. I guess not everybody gets the nasty taste but many do.
You'll like the a-maze-n tube they work great

As ChefJimmy mentioned, put a length of dryer vent between the smoke generator and the cheese and you'll get cheese that is ready to eat right off the smoker. I use about 8 feet.

Looks to me like you had to many coals in your fire. I smoke cheese all the time with wood. I put one briquette in the fire box and stack a few small pieces on top of it. By small I mean 2”-3” split fine. When the wood is gone the briquette is hot do you can just add more small wood pieces.
Looks like your fire was to big so to control temp you had to cut air back witch produced bad smoke.
I have also used the tube and it should be easier for you to use getting started.

Good luck and happy TBS!

The Tube is great but generates a lot of smoke. If you don't put a couple of feet between it and the cheese, you will be in the same boat. I've tried every method posted here and Dust or Distance gives the best result...JJ
It is along way from the smoke chamber all the way to other end of cook chamber. Thanks for the heads up.

Looks to me like you had to many coals in your fire. I smoke cheese all the time with wood. I put one briquette in the fire box and stack a few small pieces on top of it. By small I mean 2”-3” split fine. Looks like your fire was to big so to control temp you had to cut air back witch produced bad smoke.
I have also used the tube and it should be easier for you to use getting started.
Good luck and happy TBS!
You are spot on. I see that now. Been smoking meat for so long, hard to go small. LOL

Looks to me like you had to many coals in your fire. I smoke cheese all the time with wood. I put one briquette in the fire box and stack a few small pieces on top of it. By small I mean 2”-3” split fine. When the wood is gone the briquette is hot do you can just add more small wood pieces.
Looks like your fire was to big so to control temp you had to cut air back witch produced bad smoke.

Good luck and happy TBS!
I am going to use your method in the next couple of days. It just makes total sense to me now. I have also ordered the A-MAZE-N 12" Pellet Tube Smoker and will give it a try as well. Thank You

You are spot on. I see that now. Been smoking meat for so long, hard to go small. LOL

Picture of starting my small fire.

557E298F-08C8-43DA-95CB-5A9C00055DC2.jpeg

Another thing to consider is getting something to set your cheese on to keep it from touching your grates. I use a cooling rack for baking. After I’m done I stick it in the freezer until next time. Helps prevent getting grate marks on your cheese and allows smoke to flow through.

Happy TBS!

Picture of starting my small fire.

View attachment 385635

Another thing to consider is getting something to set your cheese on to keep it from touching your grates. I use a cooling rack for baking. After I’m done I stick it in the freezer until next time. Helps prevent getting grate marks on your cheese and allows smoke to flow through.

Happy TBS!
Will do. Kind obvious that I went overboard on my fire after looking at yours. Thanks for the visual.

Too bad it didn't turn out for you. I am curious what temperature you had in the smoking chamber. Did you stick a probe in there to monitor temps? If cheese is near the melting point that says it was way too warm in there.

As mentioned above, to get to the next level of cheese smoking you can go with the mailbox mod with a dryer hose and/or use dust instead of pellets (they will burn cleaner). If using dust you will need the tray instead of the tube. There are also threads where people make their own dust from pellets.

Keep at it, I need to get a new batch going now that the weather is cooled off.

As mentioned above, to get to the next level of cheese smoking you can go with the mailbox mod with a dryer hose and/or use dust instead of pellets (they will burn cleaner). If using dust you will need the tray instead of the tube. There are also threads where people make their own dust from pellets.

Keep at it, I need to get a new batch going now that the weather is cooled off.
Thanks

Good luck and happy TBS!

I was going to say the same thing. I have so far only used charcoal and wood. Just use a briquette or two and a piece of wood and have had pretty good results. My friend said he likes my smoked cheese better than Boar's Head.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky