2nd Annual South Florida Gathering!! Nov 9th-11th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
alrighty getting back in the saddle this week! i'm going to cal fishing eating creek tomorrow monday and set everything up with the director.  after that i'll update page one of this thread with more info on competitions and campsite setup.

what do you guys think about having a "smoker alley"...where we all put out smokers in a central area, something like smoker, table, smoker, table...leading over to Ron's (rubbinbutts) big ol' smoker. last year we were kind of spread out. just an idea and not mandatory. figured it would make for a cool picture.

I like the idea of smoker alley.

Still trying to work out details to come. When you post the details you work out it should help. Still waiting to see what business will look like. In worse case we will drive down for the day on Saturday, normally a day off with wife.

sounds good JarJar...yea sorry about the lack of info thus far i was way more on top of this last year. had alot going on lately...getting back into it

Doug... That would be different.. eh If we get enough people we can circle the whole Screen room... Starting at Ron's smoker and ending back there.. LOL

Guys, I'm ready for it. Wife and I were talking about it earlier today.

Doug, sounds great about grouping up the cookers. I know everyone must have thought wife and I were being anti-social last year, but I have to keep her in the shade as she has an allergy to the sun and the spot we had was perfect for that. Really looking forward to this year.

Doug no need to apologize. Family and life always come first. I appreciate your time and efforts to put something as time consuming as an event like this together.

I am looking forward to seeing how others do BBQ. The opportunity to learn more is very exciting.

Ron,

Maybe we can make that area between your and keith's RV's more of the common area. Also if anyone has one of those popup canopy's, maybe we can get a few of those setup in a line. We all did get alot of sun last year, some shade wouldn't hurt! :)

Going to try to make it.... Have to make some vacation changes.....Will let ya'll know soon.........................
icon14.gif

Joe

Rick.. you know how you kicked yourself in the ass for not coming last year after you seen all the pics... So go ahead and PEN this in on your calender and make arrangements at work If you have to... Don't miss out again... LOL

rick! good to see another broward/dade guy coming. i'll probably be leaving early friday morning...let me know if you want to caravan up there

Going to let my wife know. This would be a good trip for the new wheels.

Do they have 50 amp service?

I'm in search of info about the campground from those who attended last year. How far in advance do we need to reserve a campsite? We'll be tenting it, and as it stands now will be myself, wife and 2 children age 12 & 13. Oh, and a couple of "ankle biter" size dogs. My friend Jeff who attended the N FL gathering with me may also come. Do they allow more than one tent on a site? How spread out is this campground? Map says it's not to scale. What area/section is this screen room where we will be gathering? Probably bringing the MES so will need electric or generator friendly site, or will all smokers be near power source? Need to sleep now but more questions to follow....

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
Hey Orlando,

i apoligize again to everyone i've been far less proactive this year then last but that will change today. i'm calling FishingEating Creek today to get things set up.

For primitive camping, i reserve the Group Site B area. it's a very large space that will allow for alot of campers and there is no limit to tents or people there. it's also right next to the screened room which is where we hung out most of the time. The screened room has power. the idea was that we'll put all smokers around that area in a "smoker alley" so power would be available for that.  last year only myself and 2 other tents stayed there and all others had RV's. You and your family and friend are welcome to camp there. i would say the total diameter is approx 100yds of that site so alot of space. you can also park on the grounds so you can park next to where you sleep.

if you are looking for your own personal space and prefer the individual spots..they are a little bit of a hike/drive to where we'll all be, but if that is your preference get the most "northern" spot you can on the map, i can take a look and let you know where that is.

please fire off anymore questions you might have and i'm going to update more info today!

can't wait!

-- Doug

Don, your family and friends are most welcome. The campground folks are loose with their regulations, but as Doug says there is plenty of room in the group area.  I will have plenty of heavy ext. cords for electric if needed. Just come and plan on a good time.

The group area on the campground map is called Deer Clan Area, if you want a site of your own the best tent sites are E1, E2, E3, 50, 51, 52. The screen room is depicted as baths on the map and is across the little street from the group area. The campground was not crowded last year but if you want a site of your own, I would reserve probably no later than the end of August so you get the site of your choice, rather than just whatever is available.

Doug, Last weekend I cooked 32 butts for an anniversary, talk about a sleepless night, WOW. Check out the pictures.

I'm cranked and ready for November now,

Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky