1st time butchering beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mofatguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 31, 2019
Missouri
Like the title says. This is the first time I’ve butchered a beef. This was a wild heifer we never could get caught in a pen. We have one bull fattening out and just going to grind most of this one into burger.

Things learned:
I need a skinning cradle I don’t have to bend over to skin on
I need bigger hooks or chains to hang the meat in the cooler. The current hooks are too small but made them work.
Need a better blade for the saws all. Diablo pruning blades are too thin and don’t cut straight.

Going to let hang for 7 days before starting to grind her up. May let the hind Quarters go longer for steaks.

Guessed live weight @8-9 hundred
0846531B-E22B-4833-B74D-F49216EAF1F2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, if I had your meat cooler and you had a feather up your --- we'd both be tickled! :emoji_blush: But since I don't have a cooler a beef is too much to handle. Definitely not a butcher by any means but do have a truck hoist we use to skin and butcher hogs and deer...no bending, just the push of a button.

Ryan

Lots of work but it looks good. Is that a rail system I see in that cooler?

Reactions: Mofatguy
Only thing I'd add is that we like ours hung for at least 2 weeks before butchering.

You know, if I had your meat cooler and you had a feather up your --- we'd both be tickled! :emoji_blush: But since I don't have a cooler a beef is too much to handle. Definitely not a butcher by any means but do have a truck hoist we use to skin and butcher hogs and deer...no bending, just the push of a button.

Ryan
I have lots of back troubles and neck troubles plus a big round tire in front! Me and bending don’t get along. But hanging from the loader on tractor gets me worse when I get up to the shoulder,neck area of whatever I’m skinning for some reason? I think a cradle would be easier to have more pre skinned before hanging as long as it’s high enough to not have to bend much….

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Only thing I'd add is that we like ours hung for at least 2 weeks before butchering.
I’m grinding this one for burger and will have help on day 7&8 of hang time. Otherwise I’d start at minimum of 10-14 days. Sometimes you just have to make the best of things you can

Reactions: bigfurmn and DougE
I forgot to check back on this thread. How'd it go after hanging? Did you get anymore pics? Did you end up grinding it all or did you get some other cuts out of it? That's a lot of burger how'd you package it all? Did you find a blade that worked better in the sawzall?

Like the title says. This is the first time I’ve butchered a beef. This was a wild heifer we never could get caught in a pen. We have one bull fattening out and just going to grind most of this one into burger.

Things learned:
I need a skinning cradle I don’t have to bend over to skin on
I need bigger hooks or chains to hang the meat in the cooler. The current hooks are too small but made them work.
Need a better blade for the saws all. Diablo pruning blades are too thin and don’t cut straight.

Going to let hang for 7 days before starting to grind her up. May let the hind Quarters go longer for steaks.

525146-e24e4e62d05db8c6bf42612b78a511a1.jpg

Guessed live weight @8-9 hundred

Hmmm, Rooms like that are Dangerous in the Philadelphia Area.
"Rocky Balboa" could come through at any time and beat the Crap out of you!!
Be-aware!
525146-e24e4e62d05db8c6bf42612b78a511a1.jpg

Bear

I forgot to check back on this thread. How'd it go after hanging? Did you get anymore pics? Did you end up grinding it all or did you get some other cuts out of it? That's a lot of burger how'd you package it all? Did you find a blade that worked better in the sawzall?
I got 127 (or8?) pounds of burger, both briskets, a couple chuck roast, and one side of boneless ribeyes out of her. I packaged the burger straight off my LEM grinder into the plastic 1lb burger bags. Looking for a thicker pruning blade for the sawzall. Did get a cheap battery powered sawzall for splitting the will be better than the corded one I have now. Will also be getting a grizzly industrial band saw before I cut up the bull I'm currently fattening out. Will do him in April.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Sounds like a lot of good eating

I’m doing something similar this weekend. I have a half a beef at 500# hanging weight that I’m going to butcher. I’ve done several deer, a number of hogs and a couple lambs, but this is my first beef. Very excited to get after it. It’s been hanging 3 weeks, should be great.

Here’s the before. Got through the loin section tonight, doing the rest tomorrow. Went ok. Screwed up the tri tip though. Otherwise good.

Attachments

• 29EB384E-2E13-40AF-9592-4D8227A7846E.jpeg
    29EB384E-2E13-40AF-9592-4D8227A7846E.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Mofatguy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky