1st Brisket in the YS640 pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Fired up the Yoder last night for the first smoke. I chose a 14# brisket from Sams. Just trimmed some fat, slapped on some yellow mustard and covered it with Jeff's Texas rub. Got the YS640 to 240 and put it on with a 12" smoke-n-tube full of perfect blend pellets. This is 13 hrs in @ 177 deg and still going. I'm still working on the in's and out's of this pellet smoker but so far it's doing what it says it will do and temp swings aren't really that much. WE are still bonding :) I plan to take it to the magic temp of 203 deg. I'll post a follow up when I cut into it. We'll see what that smoke ring looks like.
Brisket 13 hrs at 177 deg.JPG

Last edited:
Brisket pulled at 16.5 hrs.JPG

The brisket as pulled from smoker after 16 1/2 hours @ 240 deg. Internal temp in the point ranged from 192 to 200. Internal temps in the flat were higher and that's why I pulled it. they ranged from 202 to 210.
Point sliced.JPG

Point slices w smoke ring.JPG

point cubed.JPG

point seasoned and ready for smoker.JPG

I decided to make burnt ends for the first time. I used Jeff's Texas rub and I made a batch of Jeff's GGSA BBQ Sauce with a few of my own twist. Trimmed a lot of fat from the point when I cubed but they are awesome already. The cubes are back in the smoker now, The flat is wrapped in foil and buried in the meat locker for about 3 or 4 hours of resting. Any fears I had of not using a water pan have been put to rest. This Brisket was as juicy as any I've ever cooked. I have learned a lot on the first smoke but I have absolutely no complaints so far. I just need to try a few things, adjust a couple of things.......It's never perfect but damn good.
Now I'm ready for some burnt ends in a few hours!

Reactions: Jmt
Brisket Burnt Ends after 2 hours.JPG

Burnt Ends right out of the smoker after 2 hours. They had a nice color from the caramelized sauce and they taste as good as they look. I am thrilled with this first brisket on this new smoker. No doubt all the help I get from this forum comes in very handy. The wife is even more thrilled than I am. Not only did I cook this nice meat but I cleaned up my mess :) Bon Appetit y'all!

Looks like it turned out great. Did you foil at all during the cook or just let it sit?
No foil used. I've crutched in the past for various reasons but this one was a non-foil cook. Low & slow.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky