1st Attempt @ smoking cheese..1 question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jack07

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Wisconsin
Hi All,

I just put a small batch of cheese in to cold smoke. Here in WI the temp is 26. Per other posts I heated my MES to around 95 turned it off, opened the door to place the AMNPS in and the cheese. Temp in there now is 70 ish and I will not open again for 2 hours. (When I remove the cheese)

I will shrink wrap when it's done. From other posts I know I should leave it set for a min of 2 weeks before eating. My question is, if I would like to eat this in a week, how will that effect the flavor? 

You would think I would know this being a "Cheesehead" (GO PACK!)

Thanks

Tim

You can eat it but it might be a little bitter and have a very strong taste. The longer it rests the better it will get.

That would help avoid it but it obviously won't have as much of the good flavor if you don't eat it all before the 2 weeks. You could take out what you think you will eat before the 2 weeks is up after smoking for 1 hour & let the rest in for the full 2 hour smoke.

Something else to consider is that fresh mozzarella can be eaten without the wait as well as string cheese sticks. Good luck - your taste buds are gonna be very happy with you! Do you have a pic?

That would help avoid it but it obviously won't have as much of the good flavor if you don't eat it all before the 2 weeks. You could take out what you think you will eat before the 2 weeks is up after smoking for 1 hour & let the rest in for the full 2 hour smoke.

Something else to consider is that fresh mozzarella can be eaten without the wait as well as string cheese sticks. Good luck - your taste buds are gonna be very happy with you! Do you have a pic?
Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it. I was in a rush to get the cheese in, I didn't snap a pic. I am also working on meat sticks to smoke tomorrow. 

Muenster is another one that we have had almost right out of the smoker without the bitter taste! Pepper Jack is one of our all time favorites though. The smoking process brings the heat out of the peppers nicely!

Muenster is another one that we have had almost right out of the smoker without the bitter taste! Pepper Jack is one of our all time favorites though. The smoking process brings the heat out of the peppers nicely!
I have pepper jack in right now...that one you have to wait the two weeks right?

I have pepper jack in right now...that one you have to wait the two weeks right?
I always take a small piece off and test right out of the smoker, from each loaf. If it isn't too bitter I say go for it! As the smoke ages it truly does get better and better and better...

I always take a small piece off and test right out of the smoker, from each loaf. If it isn't too bitter I say go for it! As the smoke ages it truly does get better and better and better...
I already shrink wrapped it, I will take it out and sample a piece in a week. Looks great!

I already shrink wrapped it, I will take it out and sample a piece in a week. Looks great!
Good deal man! Once you eat some that has had time to mellow out you will find that you want to smoke a lot more cheese
smile.gif
  Good luck with your sticks as well & remember... 
th_nopicsye3.gif

AWESOME!

I do the same thing with my MES

Warm it up and turn it off

70° after 2 hours

Great Job!

Todd

Not really sure why, but it just does not get bitter like the hard cheeses do

Cheese seems to smoke better at temps above 55°

When it's extremely cold outside, warming up the smoker not only helps it draft, but also keeps the cheese from freezing

TJ

Maybe because the Mozzarella is soft it doesn't take as long to absorb the smoke...And I think in response to another question , as Todd has said, If ambient temps are too low or too low in the smoker,cheese can't take on as much smoke.. I smoke my cheese at 70-85 degrees...

well knowing me myself even though i have read by several on here to let it rest for two weeks i still am going to give it a go the next day and yes it was a strong taste of Hickory but was'nt unbearable being extra sharp chedder and will let the others rest and taste the sharp again in 2 weeks and see the difference that way hehehehehehe know what i mean vern :P

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky