1st Attempt at Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jack07

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Wisconsin
Hi All,

First off, I am new to smoking.  I just received my new MB 30" model 20070411 smoker. Over this past weekend I did the recommended seasoning of the smoker. I am getting ready to smoke my first Boston Butt. The recipe I have calls for a 4 lb bone in butt. I saw on a few threads talk on temps for the MB smokers. I saw on one thread information on how to test the temps using a pan of oil in the smoker. Below is what I have found my temps to be. I took the temp readings approx 30 min after each 50 degree increase. I placed the pan of oil on the center rack and placed the meat probe in the oil, along with my digital probe. My digital probe I ran the cord through the vent in the top.

Here are the results:

100 Degrees

Meat probe 128

Digital probe 128

Control head reading 135

150 Degrees

Meat probe 154

Digital Probe 154

Control head reading 168

200 Degrees

Meat probe 206

Digital probe 204

Control head reading 199

250 Degrees

Meat probe 253

Digital probe 252

Control head reading 255

How do these temps look?

Recipe says to smoke for 9-10 hours at 210 degrees. After meat reaches 165 wrap in foil and continue until 200-210 is reached. I decided to try the 4 lb butt first, just in case I mess this first attempt up.

With the temp reading above…should I set the smoker temp at the suggested recipe of 210?

Any feedback is appreciated, as I am going to start smoking at 6am tomorrow morning. I am getting the rub and mop ready now, so I can have the rub on it for 12 hours.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Anywhere from 210-230 should do just fine; those are "normal" barbecuing temps.  Butts are pretty forgiving so I wouldn't worry about messing it up, just sit back, relax, and enjoy it.  A 4-pounder is pretty small and might cook faster than you expect so try not to think there is something wrong with your thermo's.  Good luck!

Hello Jack! Sorry I can't answer you on your temps as I've never heard of the method you used. 

Anyway, how about swinging by Roll Call and introducing yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome! Then if you wouldn't mind updating your profile to include your location would be great. It helps if we know where you are when answering questions and giving advice.

4 lb butt is pretty small so you need to keep an eye on it, it might cook faster than you think. We usually estimate 1.5 - 2 hrs per lb. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky