16 cu ft smoker build freezer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brad455

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
fond du lac, wisconsin
GALLERY]
[/IMG]I ve been reading and watching this site for awhile and decided it was time to build a smoker. I use a vertical propane most of the time ( outside ) and the weather does not always lend nicely to smoking here in wi. I wanted a smoker that i will install in my garage. I have a class b chimmey in the garage not used anymore from a old furnace so that will be use for my venting.. So here are a few pictures of the build.I still have to finish the door and a few things but i thought it was time to share... It has pid controls also.

Last edited:
here are the build pictures..

It has a pid temp probe and gauge for each rack. A timer and a rotisserie my boss s idea..should have it done by next weekend. I would like to thank all of you for sharing your info on how and what you did to build your own smokers.. I ll put up more pictures qhen its done.

The top pid controls the heat.The second is just a timer can be used to shut off the smoker after it times out.The other pids are for each of the three food racks just to be used a temperature monitors each having it s own food probe.

Holy digital displays Batman!!!! That smoker has more redundancy than NASA built into the space shuttle.....

All kidding aside, that is going to be a great smoker.  I've thought about multiple meat temp displays on the warmer/proofer project which I really need to get back to work on.  My idea was to use one PID to control the heat, one as a thermal limiter backup and then a third temp display only (no relay control) wired into a multiplexer circuit to select different meat probes in the pit.  Analog rotary switch would be the lot tech/low cost way.

You multi display idea looks great!

Thanks all for the nice comments. I still have to wrap the door and the door edges but hopefully be ready by this weekend.I still dont know which way to go about the smoke todds amazen or just through chunks in her? what do you guys recommend?

Update metal getting bent for the door. Cant wait till we season it. What do u guys/gals do to season a new smoker.?

Last edited:
Update metal getting bent for the door. Cant wait till we season it. What do u guys/gals do to season a new smoker.?
Cook something in it!!!!

I would run it for a while empty with the smoke source running just to make sure it's performing like you want.  Then since it's already up to temp, you might as well toss some meat in there. Go with something simple for the first smoke.  Fatties, chicken, wings, etc...    You can do pretty much whatever you like, but I usually stay with the simple and fairly quick stuff for the first smoke or two.  I'm like a kid at Christmas with a new toy and not very patient, but there is no reason you "can't" do a all nighter with pork shoulders if you want.

Looks awesome, I'd season it buy just smoking some wood for 2 hours and then throw something like a pork loin that is forgiving if you have trouble with temps along the way. When I seasoned my smoker I followed some advice from on here and sprayed it down with pam before doing the 2 hour burn in.

Ive been off do to a back injury so i have not done much to the smoker but i did just buy the 5 by 8 pellet smoker and a bunch of pellets. Im so looking foward to getting back in action to finish this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky