12th Annual South Florida Gathering - December 1-3, 2023 - Pictures Added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Our 12th (13th year) Gathering will be December 1-3, 2023 at Highland Hammock State Park (Sebring, FL) with the main day being Saturday the 2nd.

Sites & Attendees
Site 80 - Russ and Libby Mills (Friends of Doug's from the neighborhood)
Site 81 - Doug ( dougmays dougmays )
Site 82 - Jeramy ( jarjarchef jarjarchef )
Site 84 - @j-regn
Site 85 - carol506 carol506 & Jon
Site 87 - Mark ( Discus39 Discus39 )
Site 88 & 89 - Keith ( JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 )
Site 125 - fxsales1959 fxsales1959
Site 128 - John ( Fueling Around Fueling Around )
Site 135 - Robert (@Fife )

Events (all optional and not taken too seriously, all times below are open for change) :
- Welcome Weenie Roast
- Keiths famous ham and sides provided by others
- Family style Potluck, Saturday ~5-6pm
- Fun & Friendly Rib Competition on Saturday ~5pm (before it gets dark)
- Cocktail competition Saturday ~3pm
- Games and camaraderie all all the time, if you have a favorite game or activity please bring it (examples: Cornhole/BagToss, ring toss, horseshoes, etc.....)

Last edited:
I have not been able to to get in touch with j-rgen about site 84. Still looking to find a site.

Keith you need to work some magic at work to get the time off. Wont be the same without you there.

Howdy all! Sorry i've been crazy busy with life and whatnot. @bobcats110 i'm sorry you cannot come this year :( But glad carol506 carol506 was able to snag your site, looking forward to seeing you and john again.

Discus39 Discus39 were you able to book 84 for your friend?
JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 Keith - What say you? Still not sure if you'll be able to make it?

Only a few more weeks, i'm excited! As usual we'll have our main day on Saturday....snacking all day and Rib Comp and Potluck style dinner. For Thur/Fri - usually Keith's ham is the main course so we might need to come up with an alternative plan incase he cannot make it. Can we just hire a welder to work your job for you that weekend?! :emoji_laughing:

I'll be towing down my smoker trailer. My girlfriend wanted us to take her dad's motorcycle trailer to sleep in because her dog might not like the tent but i think we'll need the cooking space.

Anything else i'm missing? I"ll be checking the forum nearly daily now that the time is sneaking up
We're still on shedule. have to get trailer serviced. Won't be competing on ribs, but will try and find a boston butt to smoke for pot-luck. will only have WSM and blackstone.
see ya then.

Reactions: dougmays
We're still on shedule. have to get trailer serviced. Won't be competing on ribs, but will try and find a boston butt to smoke for pot-luck. will only have WSM and blackstone.
see ya then.
In case Keith can’t make it, how many are we expecting for Thursday night? We could have an old fashion weenie roast. I could provide John’s family’s secret “coney” chili recipe A couple different mustards and chopped onions.

Diane and I are surrendering our campsite (128) for Friday and Saturday.
I messaged Mark ( Discus39 Discus39 ) to work out handing over the reservation to his neighbors.
I checked the FSP reservation site (PIA) and Thursday is also available.

We are still planning to be there. We just booked a motel in Sebring for Friday & Saturday.
Looking forward to seeing old and new faces.

I am waiting for a response from my friend this evening about taking the camp site from you fueling around. I have your number. We will be in touch. We can work out the details.

Reactions: Fueling Around
In case Keith can’t make it, how many are we expecting for Thursday night? We could have an old fashion weenie roast. I could provide John’s family’s secret “coney” chili recipe A couple different mustards and chopped onions.
if'n nothin breaks on the way. we are planning on arriving Thurdsay at legal check in.

I am waiting for a response from my friend this evening about taking the camp site from you fueling around. I have your number. We will be in touch. We can work out the details.
Did the research to change the reservation and ran into a snag.
I discovered that site 128 is only a 20' pad and your buddy is bringing a 30' TT.

If anyone in the group has a 30-40' pad site but only needing a 20' pad please let me or Discus39 Discus39 know to see if we can arrange a swap.

Late silly question. The warden (Linda) asked me to pull up a site map so we could see where everybody is and how far we need to tote stuff to the gathering site. As usual Floridas reservation system is AFU. keep getting forbidden errors. does anyone have a site map link? or working reservations link. My res is confirmed but trying to satisfy the warden.
thnks
john

Here is the map

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231116-152213_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231116-152213_Google.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
HAPPY Thanksgiving everyone. Next weekend is here. We need to make some arrangements and details figured out.
Has anyone heard from Keith?
We have reservations for Thursday but will be arriving Friday morning.
Im Still looking for a 2nd camp site to have a camper of 25 ft for a friend. If there are better ways to contact anyone please post Or dm. Technology is among us . Emails or text can be quicker that the forum.

Sorry for not speaking up more... but my laptop keyboard is muckin up and some of the keys dont work... took me 30 minutes to type tis...

I will be all loaded up and ready to go... But It is still a last minute decision if I will make it or not

Its official... We will be arriving Thursday afternoon...

not planning any snack sticks or sausage...

Will be doing my ham for friday night and ribs (peanut butter and jelly) of coarse for Sat.

If anybody wants to cook something more (which I'm sure they will) for Fri. feel free... we will also need sides for both Fri. and Sat.

I have a doctors appointment Friday morning. So will be there late Friday afternoon. Charlyn will probably be out later that evening depending on her clients.

Bringing a new recipe and concept for Saturday ribs, too many peanut butter & jelly and chocolate glazed ribs out there 😫.

I have a vacuum tumble marinade machine looking to trade for something. If you have something that might be an interesting trade, hit me up. Always looking for new gadgets and things. Doesn't need to be cooking related. Been doing a lot of wood working lately...

Reactions: bmudd14474
MY wife and I will be there Friday afternoon through Sunday.

Its official... We will be arriving Thursday afternoon...
If anybody wants to cook something more (which I'm sure they will) for Fri. feel free... we will also need sides for both Fri. and Sat.
That's great to hear Keith.
I'm deciding on sides and appetizers to share as I don't have any smoking equipment for meat.
I plan to make a big batch of pig shots using my dry cured cold smoked slab bacon.

... but my laptop keyboard is muckin up and some of the keys dont work...
Get a cheap USB plug in keyboard. I find them easier to use than the laptop anyway.

what else will we need for the weenie cook? Buns squirt stuff etc? I had a little accident extricating th camper from the side of the house so will be doing some redneck corner fixing with a big F'n hammer/ caulk and flex tape this week.. Still fixin on arriving 3-ish. After campsite set up, can run to Winn Dick-me to help with accoutrements.

I'll be doing a couple of 4lb boston butts for Saturday night pulled pork. will also whip up a few bottles of Carolina sauce. Can't compete with P-butter jelly ribs, so will forego the ribs on Saturday. time is ticking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky