10lbs of homemade German Bockwurst: Sehr Gut!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Here's some sausages my sons have been asking about for some time: German bockwurst. My wife loves it too so I was compelled to put aside some other SMPs (smoked meat projects) and concentrating on knocking out some wurst.

First I need the protein: 8 pounds of pork shoulder, fairly lean. Two pounds of veal (also lean). One pound of pork fatback (NOT lean!).
To this eventual-ground mixture of meat I would add the following not-so-small list of ingredients:
Bockwurst_ingredients.jpg

I mixed all these dry and wet ingredients together to ensure better distribution into the meat...
Bockwurst_theLiquid_mix.jpg

On with the Grinding:
Using a 4.5mm plate, I ground the very-chilled pork, veal and then the fatback...
Bockwurst_theGrind.jpg

Then the hand-mixing of the wet spices mix into the meat until its uniformly distributed...
Bockwurst_ALL_MIXED.jpg

This tub went into the fridge overnight to let the flavors meld into something resembling a German sausage—at least in flavor.
The next day, in order to achieve a smooth, even 'emulsified' texture in the final product, I pulsed batches of the meat mix in the Cuisinart (with a few small pieces of chipped ice to keep the temps cool) until the texture I was looking for was achieved. Smooooooth!
Bockwurst_emulsified.jpg

I had my son help out with the stuffing. His first time. Using large natural casings (38mm), we knocked out the links in pretty quick fashion. A few stubborn links became unwound in the process, but that's okay—these ends would all eventually be tied with butcher's twine before poaching.
Bockwurst_LINKS.jpg

Everything tied up in twine before into the bath! This isn't an essential step, but in a load this large, I've had links unwind before. This tying step just ensures no 'merging' of links during the poach.
Bockwurst_LINKS_tied.jpg

My vintage Westinghouse turkey poacher is JUST big enough for this ten-pound load. Water temp up to 180°F before drop all the links in. Temp drop and then regulated at around 170-175°F. It took about 30 minutes for these fat boys to have the desired IT of 165°F.
Bockwurst_poacher.jpg

Rack 'Em!
I allowed the lot to cool on some racks before packing them up for refrigerator/freezer storage. Bockwurst aren't much to look at right out of the poacher—just warm gray links. However, they smell great!
Bockwurst_racked.jpg

SAMPLE TIME!
My wife grabbed a few links, sautéed some apples, onions, sweet potatoes & cabbage to serve alongside the bocks. One pan meal. I prefer throwing the bocks on a grill but who am I to complain? This plate taste great. A little mustard is always welcome. Bockwurst are oniony- with a little spice. Mild, but with enough 'zip' and meatiness to make them interesting. Smoking these sausages would overwhelm the flavors.
I have a crock of fermenting sauerkraut that should be ready in about a week. It'll go wonderfully with these sausages.
Thanks for looking!
Kevin
Bockwurst_served.jpg

Very nice lookin Bockwurst and pictorial! My wife love Bock and Weiswurst I may have to give these a try.:emoji_clap:

Reactions: couger78
LOOKS KILLER! Nice writeup. Love this style. Some people are unaware these are mainly breakfast food over in Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: couger78
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky