100% Natural Wood Charcoal ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coroner

Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Hi all,

Long time griller, short time smoker, always used gas.

I just bought me one of those smokers/bbq with the off-set firebox. Since I have always used gas I am not real versed on the different types of charcoal out there. From what I have read it sounds like I do not want to use briquettes (not because they are inferior, just personal preference). I would like to use wood charcoal, but I have seen a couple of different terms used and am not sure if they are the samething or not.

100% Natural Wood Charcoal (this is what I currently have)
100% True Hardwood Lump charcoal
Lump charcoal

Are these all basically the samething ?

Thanks all,

coroner

Im sure the lump coals are all about the same. there is a website that actually tests the lump coals but I cant not remember the web site. Most everyone that I know of uses BOth. I do. Ill start some kingsford comp in my chimney then toss it on some unlit limp and bricks. (Minion Method)

The lump will burn hotter and produce less ash. But what u want to use will be up to you. Like I said i use both when I smoke.

Yeah thats it. New it was a weird name.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

all lump here, really dont like the fillers in the briquettes, all those fillers produce probably 2-3x more ash than lump.

I use both, I do prefer bricks when smoking. Lump is real good for getting the fire started in my Horizon and I like it for grilling.

My preferred brand is Stumbs.

Thanks everybody ! Great site about the charcoal.

coroner

I only use hardwood lump in my smoker. The only time I use briquettes is when I'm using my dutch oven while camping.

However, I do have some Jack Daniel's charcoal which is a mix of briquettes, lump, and wood chunks, but I hardly ever use it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky