Colombian Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Thanks to our new member I I-am-Chorizo
As soon as I saw his post on his Colombian chorizo I knew I had to make some. I’m telling you it is fantastic, although I did tweak the recipe a bit as sausage makers will do. This is a rich and busy mouth bite but very welcome.

What I changed. I used 1.5% salt, .25% cure #1, I roasted a head of garlic Pryor to putting in the mix, I added sodium erythorbate . I rested the mix overnight in the fridge then added 60ml of red wine to loosen the mix up prior to stuffing. So I’m a little of the rail but in the direction I would go. All pork ground through a 3/8” plate. Then I smoked them.

IMG_1987.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

Smoked for about 3 hours to an IT of 130F and into the poach pot to finish at IT of 150F

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1993.jpeg

Did a cold water soak (no ice, it’s not needed) they are now hanging to bloom. Will eat these tonight. So very delicious. It’s a must try recipe.

The original recipe

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/santarosano-chorizo-st-rose-sausage.326769/

It sure does look good Eric. Enjoy your dinner.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I think I'm going to have to give this one a go when I get back from holidays. Wife has been wanting to do a Spanish rice dish like her grandma used to make back in the day. We have some decent chorizo from the local butcher, but this one looks pretty awesome. I appreciate I I-am-Chorizo sharing the recipe.

Just curious what the weight of the meat was. You mentioned that you added 60 ml of red wine. Was that per kg, or something else?

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
As soon as I saw his post on his Colombian chorizo I knew I had to make some. I’m telling you it is fantastic, although I did tweak the recipe a bit as sausage makers will do. This is a rich and busy mouth bite but very welcome.

What I changed. I used 1.5% salt, .25% cure #1, I roasted a head of garlic Pryor to putting in the mix, I added sodium erythorbate . I rested the mix overnight in the fridge then added 60ml of red wine to loosen the mix up prior to stuffing. So I’m a little of the rail but in the direction I would go. All pork ground through a 3/8” plate. Then I smoked them.

View attachment 695030
View attachment 695031
Smoked for about 3 hours to an IT of 130F and into the poach pot to finish at IT of 150F

View attachment 695032
View attachment 695033
Did a cold water soak (no ice, it’s not needed) they are now hanging to bloom. Will eat these tonight. So very delicious. It’s a must try recipe.

The original recipe

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/santarosano-chorizo-st-rose-sausage.326769/

View attachment 695030
View attachment 695031

View attachment 695032
View attachment 695033

The original recipe

Hello There!

I Just want to say that I feel very honored that you found my recipe worth giving a try. I have learnt a lot in this forum and wanted to give back some of what I have received here.

Your chorizos look awesome. Curiously, I had experienced the "Wine" addition with a former batch and found it cool but a bit too glamorous for a chorizo lol. Of course it is a matter of personal preferences and that is the awesome aspect of making sausages. What I really want to point out is that The chorizos I made with the wine thing and ground pork look incredibly alike to the ones you made. I hope I can find and share a photo of that batch.

By the way...Did you like the outcome?

That looks killer. 2 guys did this in the last season of celebrate sausage and I was thinking about doing it. Looks like it's going on the short list.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky