Colombian Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Thanks to our new member I I-am-Chorizo
As soon as I saw his post on his Colombian chorizo I knew I had to make some. I’m telling you it is fantastic, although I did tweak the recipe a bit as sausage makers will do. This is a rich and busy mouth bite but very welcome.

What I changed. I used 1.5% salt, .25% cure #1, I roasted a head of garlic Pryor to putting in the mix, I added sodium erythorbate . I rested the mix overnight in the fridge then added 60ml of red wine to loosen the mix up prior to stuffing. So I’m a little of the rail but in the direction I would go. All pork ground through a 3/8” plate. Then I smoked them.

IMG_1987.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

Smoked for about 3 hours to an IT of 130F and into the poach pot to finish at IT of 150F

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1993.jpeg

Did a cold water soak (no ice, it’s not needed) they are now hanging to bloom. Will eat these tonight. So very delicious. It’s a must try recipe.

The original recipe

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/santarosano-chorizo-st-rose-sausage.326769/

It sure does look good Eric. Enjoy your dinner.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I think I'm going to have to give this one a go when I get back from holidays. Wife has been wanting to do a Spanish rice dish like her grandma used to make back in the day. We have some decent chorizo from the local butcher, but this one looks pretty awesome. I appreciate I I-am-Chorizo sharing the recipe.

Just curious what the weight of the meat was. You mentioned that you added 60 ml of red wine. Was that per kg, or something else?

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
As soon as I saw his post on his Colombian chorizo I knew I had to make some. I’m telling you it is fantastic, although I did tweak the recipe a bit as sausage makers will do. This is a rich and busy mouth bite but very welcome.

What I changed. I used 1.5% salt, .25% cure #1, I roasted a head of garlic Pryor to putting in the mix, I added sodium erythorbate . I rested the mix overnight in the fridge then added 60ml of red wine to loosen the mix up prior to stuffing. So I’m a little of the rail but in the direction I would go. All pork ground through a 3/8” plate. Then I smoked them.

View attachment 695030
View attachment 695031
Smoked for about 3 hours to an IT of 130F and into the poach pot to finish at IT of 150F

View attachment 695032
View attachment 695033
Did a cold water soak (no ice, it’s not needed) they are now hanging to bloom. Will eat these tonight. So very delicious. It’s a must try recipe.

The original recipe

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/santarosano-chorizo-st-rose-sausage.326769/

View attachment 695030
View attachment 695031

View attachment 695032
View attachment 695033

The original recipe

Hello There!

I Just want to say that I feel very honored that you found my recipe worth giving a try. I have learnt a lot in this forum and wanted to give back some of what I have received here.

Your chorizos look awesome. Curiously, I had experienced the "Wine" addition with a former batch and found it cool but a bit too glamorous for a chorizo lol. Of course it is a matter of personal preferences and that is the awesome aspect of making sausages. What I really want to point out is that The chorizos I made with the wine thing and ground pork look incredibly alike to the ones you made. I hope I can find and share a photo of that batch.

By the way...Did you like the outcome?

That looks killer. 2 guys did this in the last season of celebrate sausage and I was thinking about doing it. Looks like it's going on the short list.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky