Chorizo or Sausage? Help a newbie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nah, I'm going to keep doing that for reputable sources when I feel they apply. Mariansky is a great internet resource, and I see no problem sharing it. The 2guys and a cooler recipes I feel are also pretty sound, especially since I found one that was relevant. Most of what I reference has been A/B tested and validated by myself with the results posted on this site.
Good luck

Thanks a lot.

I'll try to summarize it all:

-Hot dogs aside... Are there any formal diferentes between chorizo and sausages? What I got after following some the forum directions seems to me a rather sausage-like product.
- I'd love some suggestions for choosing a budget friendly smoker since My cardboard friend Will certainly die soon.
- Never used binders before and feel insecure about using poder milk. Is it really a must?
- Don't usually add liquid to My mixtures...am I missing something?
- Is there a Book or document that I should Read in order to get solid Foundations on sausage making?
I Ask this because up until this moment I have cooked mainly by instinct and observation.
- If there are any observable flaws in My product, I'd feel grateful if You guys point them out.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
If vinegar is in the recipe, you will not get protein extraction and will have poor bind. The acid will break down the proteins.

Nah, I'm going to keep doing that for reputable sources when I feel they apply. Mariansky is a great internet resource, and I see no problem sharing it. The 2guys and a cooler recipes I feel are also pretty sound, especially since I found one that was relevant. Most of what I reference has been A/B tested and validated by myself with the results posted on this site.
Feel free to continue to use all resources... that's what helps us all learn. As you can see not everyone is gonna like that. But it's ok, we are all here to learn or help teach others. For some members here, there are many ways to make good sausage... don't belittle someone if it's not done your way.

Ryan

If vinegar is in the recipe, you will not get protein extraction and will have poor bind. The acid will break down the proteins.

Interesting! I note that the Marianski recipe includes two acids (30ml Lime and 15ml red wine per kg of meat). This is why I was wondering pictured texture is expected here for some reason (possibly a semi crumbly texture? I haven't made this yet, but now I'm curious to try). Possibly also why Marianski recommends to add the fat after the mix gets sticky. (I'd type it here if I could, but I'm not sure it's permitted since I don't see the recipe on the web elsewhere...)

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Interesting! I note that the Marianski recipe includes two acids (30ml Lime and 15ml red wine per kg of meat). This is why I was wondering pictured texture is expected here for some reason (possibly a semi crumbly texture? I haven't made this yet, but now I'm curious to try). Possibly also why Marianski recommends to add the fat after the mix gets sticky. (I'd post it here if I could, but I'm not sure it's permitted since I don't see the recipe on the web elsewhere...)
Read Marianski’s green book cover to cover, twice. Then you will understand. My work is done here.

Read Marianski’s green book cover to cover, twice. Then you will understand. My work is done here.
Kind of rude . Many good sausage makers on this site... you might not like their methods but there are still ways that work.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Kind of rude . Many good sausage makers on this site... you might not like their methods but there are still ways that work.

Ryan
I do not care for YouTube and the general internet for information. Folks come here all the time with problems caused from those sources. I spend plenty of my own time helping them fix those problems here. How many have you fixed Ryan?

This thread has been way hijacked, do you care about that? The OP is lost and out in the cold because of YouTube and the internet. We here on SMF answer questions and get results.

I do not care for YouTube and the general internet for information. Folks come here all the time with problems caused from those sources. I spend plenty of my own time helping them fix those problems here. How many have you fixed Ryan?

This thread has been way hijacked, do you care about that? The OP is lost and out in the cold because of YouTube and the internet. We here on SMF answer questions and get results.
Where is the op lost? Seems you have the issue with the whole thing. Where is the OP complaining about the thread being hijacked? Let's leave this thread to the OP and anyone that wants to help, nothing else... not you and your opinions. I've heard other complaints and will leave it there.

Ryan

I I-am-Chorizo came here as a new member of our forum looking for info on mastering his sausage making. He started out getting some good advice. And frankly I don’t care where that advice comes from…YouTube, books, the internet, this forum, or Gods own mouth.… if it’s valid advice then who’s to knock it? This pissing match that is on going is so Facebook-ish I’m sure he has a bad taste in his mouth for SMF.
Granted, I’ve only been here on SMF for a few years. I read ALL the threads and posts in an effort to learn. I respect all of you guys opinion. But there is a a world of info out there to use.
Just my 2 cents.

I would like to share what I consider to be my current status as a truly amateur sausage maker/smoker and humbly ask you for feedback,
My opinion . It looks perfect . Color , texture and the mix . Sounds like you're doing your homework too .

I learned everything I know about making sausage from this site . That's actually the reason I joined . No egos to deal with back then . Just friendly hands on experience . I did and still do a lot of reading through old posts from certain long time members . Reading and watching what they do , then asking yourself why is a great way to learn . Trying the methods and seeing what you like .
I just made the Chorizo Argentino from the Marianski site . Fresh sausage , but I added cure 1 and some potato starch to make a smoked version . Came out really good . Cooked on my pellet grill .
20240310_171351.jpg
I always use one grind . I see multiples suggested above . Try both ways .
This is one pass through 1/4" plate . Correct amount of salt and a good hand mix .
Cure 1 helps with the texture and the bind . I add the moisture and the NFDM or potato starch
a little at a time , and stop when it comes together . I don't make Summer sausage or smoked / cured sausage without a binder . I don't follow what a formula says , I add what it needs and stop . Works for me .
20240310_185431.jpg

AC Leggs Chorizo mix . Fresh no cure . This stuff will not come together . Never gets sticky when mixed . I'm thinking the salt in the mix is low and that's intended . Adding vinegar is an option .
It's supposed to be a loose mix . Flavor is great . I leave it in bulk now , but when I linked it up the best use was for a fajita type meal .
No cure / no binder and low salt percentage . You can see the texture difference .
20200303_191506.jpg
Grilled , sliced and on a tortilla . In bulk it makes great taco meat .
20200303_192112.jpg

Exactly why I dump the juice and give them a little rinse before adding canned diced peppers in my jalapeno cheddar sausages. There is still some vinegar retained in the peppers, but not enough to mess with protein extraction in my experience.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I just made the Chorizo Argentino from the Marianski site.

AC Leggs Chorizo mix . Fresh no cure . This stuff will not come together . Never gets sticky when

Thanks for that post. Your Chorizo looked awesome! Which did you like better?

There's something about the Columbian Chorizo that looks really special to me. It seems to be an outlier, a deviation from the usual desirable attribute: "bind together so that the fully cooked product will look as if it's one solid chunk of meat." Rather, this type of sausage seems to intentionally break that rule with the addition of large amount of vegetable content that really looks appealing to me, and I think it might add something and be worth exploring. I I-am-Chorizo I would love to hear more about your thoughts on what makes for good Columbian Chorizo.

Out of curiosity, I tried to find more examples of that demonstrate the most extreme version of this crumbly texture within, and I found this:

1713150598490.png

Looks delicious and also little bit deviant from a sausage perspective with those air pockets.

I I-am-Chorizo I did just get my copy of "1001 Greatest Sausage Recipes" from Marianski (which is well regarded over here) and was pleased to find a Columbian chorizo recipe in it. In that he recommends doing a pork meat grind at 10mm and a beef grind at 3mm. If your chorizo only uses one protein, I'd still recommend two or three grind levels since you're probably not using a binder. I like to do always have a portion that's fine grind with the fattier meats.

As an aside, his recipe also doesn't utilize cure #1.
Hello There!

This is the plan I've Been thinking to stick to for the next batch.

I'm Gonna use 2kg pork
I am going to grind and knife chop 50-50
3 tsp orégano
1 Tsp Black pepper
Two or three sticks of Finelly chopped scallions*
5 smashed to puree-like texture garlic cloves
26 GRS salt
3 tsp paprika
½ tsp nutmeg
3 GRS Cure#1 (mine is at 12% concentration)

Stuffing in natural casings
48hrs hanging/curing into the fridge
3-4 hrs smoking
Ice cold water bath
2-3 hrs blooming

I expect to get a Chunky yet binded chorizo.

Any thoughts or suggestions for the chosen course of action?

Welcome to SMF from central Missouri. You had a lot of great responses prior to this post.

FWIW - I make a lot of small-batches (5 to 10 pounds at a time) of sausage. Brats, summer sausage, andouille, breakfast, etc. I also make chicken sausage(s) for a friend who has alfa-gal syndrome (can only eat poultry or fish due to a tick bite). Been doing so for a maybe 3 years now ... but I am still learning and a work in progress. You are in the right place for great advice.

Last batch of sausage I finished using a sous-vide. Never going beck to finishing it in a smoker unless there is an uber-compelling reason.

I am going to grind and knife chop 50-50
Yes! I love this sort of combo. I use similar for my snack sticks and find the grind good for binding and the mince/chop good for mouthfeel. Just got to work a bit harder to ensure good protein extraction with the mince, I feel.
26 GRS salt
3 GRS Cure#1 (mine is at 12% concentration)
With 2kg of meat and a 12% sodium nitrate cure #1, I think you can reduce your cure to 2.5g.

For your salt, if you wanted a typical 2% salt content, you'd have this around 36g (Mariansky recipes are at this amount, but they also don't have cure #1, so I'm less sure on this point).

So I suppose my recommendation on this is, for two kg of meat:
  • Reduce cure #1 to 2.5g. You'll still hit the standard 150ppm of nitrates if you go to 2.5g, so why not?
Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing/hearing how your next batch works out!

Last edited:
Reactions: I-am-Chorizo
My opinion . It looks perfect . Color , texture and the mix . Sounds like you're doing your homework too .

I learned everything I know about making sausage from this site . That's actually the reason I joined . No egos to deal with back then . Just friendly hands on experience . I did and still do a lot of reading through old posts from certain long time members . Reading and watching what they do , then asking yourself why is a great way to learn . Trying the methods and seeing what you like .
I just made the Chorizo Argentino from the Marianski site . Fresh sausage , but I added cure 1 and some potato starch to make a smoked version . Came out really good . Cooked on my pellet grill .
View attachment 694357
I always use one grind . I see multiples suggested above . Try both ways .
This is one pass through 1/4" plate . Correct amount of salt and a good hand mix .
Cure 1 helps with the texture and the bind . I add the moisture and the NFDM or potato starch
a little at a time , and stop when it comes together . I don't make Summer sausage or smoked / cured sausage without a binder . I don't follow what a formula says , I add what it needs and stop . Works for me .
View attachment 694358

AC Leggs Chorizo mix . Fresh no cure . This stuff will not come together . Never gets sticky when mixed . I'm thinking the salt in the mix is low and that's intended . Adding vinegar is an option .
It's supposed to be a loose mix . Flavor is great . I leave it in bulk now , but when I linked it up the best use was for a fajita type meal .
No cure / no binder and low salt percentage . You can see the texture difference .
View attachment 694359
Grilled , sliced and on a tortilla . In bulk it makes great taco meat .
View attachment 694360
This looks amazing.

The result with each techniques are noticeable. I wanted to eliminate the crumbly texture from my chorizos. Not saying it is totally undesirable, but everyone's at home liked the new result that came in our last batch with cure#01+better protein extraction. I've learned a lot from one of the suggested books and from what seems to be the "Consensus procedures" when it comes to sausage making. As soon as we eat the 53 chorizos resulting from my last batch, I'll post here my next bet.

Thanks for sharing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky