Wings & Drummies - 3 Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I had a hankering for some wings yesterday, so I did up some wings and drumsticks. They turned out great!

The only change is still to try to work towards more bite through skin. Skin was good, but still on the journey for bite through.

Drumsticks
- hit with a 1:1 ratio of kosher salt and baking powder, and into the fridge to dry out for about an hour.
- seasoned with a “Georgia Yard Bird” rub
- on the Traeger for a total of 1.5 hours.
- 1 hour at 275*
- 30 minutes at 325*

Wings
- started with whole wings, removed the tips and separated
- hit with the 1:1 ratio of kosher salt and baking powder, and then into the fridge for about an hour and half
- seasoned with the same “Georgia Yard Bird” rub
- on the Traeger for about 1 hour
- 30 minutes at 275*
- 30 minutes at 325*

Three ways:
- Dry - left some drummies and wings plain, with just the dry rub
- Honey BBQ - hit a couple of drummies and some wings in a sweet honey BBQ sauce
- Sweet Chili - hit some with some sweet chili sauce

9082B5F2-DE0E-4C5B-A9FA-8A7736BDB1CF.jpeg

8CFFF294-8C46-4470-85C6-3B9DA67F58DB.jpeg

366368CA-5F8A-4DE5-A9A9-C03122A164AE.jpeg

028BDA26-1666-4E64-90DA-A995C8DB4E36.jpeg

63D12982-4C5D-4E99-BED2-54C5ECA956C8.jpeg

Grilled up some pineapple for desert. Really tasty sweet treat!

40015794-DBBA-448C-8344-CF86F4E78A94.jpeg

Nice cook . I like the different seasonings , same cook .
Grilled pineapple :emoji_thumbsup:. So good .

Great lookin food, sir. One thing that has helped me with the skin, is to actually remove the skin and remove the fat behind the skin. This can be very time consuming on such a small piece of meat, but its worth it. When removing the fat from the underside of the skin, simply lay the skin face down and take a fillet knife, hold it at almost 45 degree angle and scrape away. Be careful not to puncture the skin. Add a bit of rub to your skinless meat and replace the skin. You may need to hold the skin on with toothpicks, but after a bit of practice, the need for toothpicks may go away.

Your wings look really good.
You may want to try a little corn starch in your rub & letting the wings dry out uncovered in the fridge overnight.
That may be the skin your looking for.
Al

All looks good from my screen. I do chicken parts on the kettle with the Vortex for high heat. It has never let me down as far as bit thru crispy skin.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Walchit
You may want to try a little corn starch in your rub & letting the wings dry out uncovered in the fridge overnight.
Al

Yeah, that is a great technique if you can spare the fridge space. You could also grill them for a few minutes after smoking. This is my typical sequence (s5): smoke, sear, sauce, sizzle, serve.

Thanks everyone!

Everything looks good! Never had grilled pineapple, I might have to try that!

Thank you. Definitely try the pineapple.

Nice cook . I like the different seasonings , same cook .
Grilled pineapple :emoji_thumbsup:. So good .

Thank you. Agreed on the pineapple.

Great lookin food, sir. One thing that has helped me with the skin, is to actually remove the skin and remove the fat behind the skin. This can be very time consuming on such a small piece of meat, but its worth it. When removing the fat from the underside of the skin, simply lay the skin face down and take a fillet knife, hold it at almost 45 degree angle and scrape away. Be careful not to puncture the skin. Add a bit of rub to your skinless meat and replace the skin. You may need to hold the skin on with toothpicks, but after a bit of practice, the need for toothpicks may go away.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like some dedication to scrape the fat. I’ll be honest - not sure I’m that dedicated. :)

Your wings look really good.
That may be the skin your looking for.
Al

Thanks Al. Should I substitute the corn starch for the baking powder? Or, add it in with it?

All looks good from my screen. I do chicken parts on the kettle with the Vortex for high heat. It has never let me down as far as bit thru crispy skin.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris. The vortex seems to be a favorite.

I40, Oh ya , those wings and pineapple jobbies look excellent! like

Thank you.

Yeah, that is a great technique if you can spare the fridge space. You could also grill them for a few minutes after smoking. This is my typical sequence (s5): smoke, sear, sauce, sizzle, serve.

Thank you. Good point on the grilling - just hated firing up the grill as well.

Wonderful wings, dynamite drumsticks! Big like!

Thank you!

Yuper I could handle some of those. raise the temperature after you get the amount of smoke you want to crisp the skin.

Warren

Thanks Warren.

Thanks Al. Should I substitute the corn starch for the baking powder? Or, add it in with it?

You can try it both ways, but just the corn starch should do the trick.
At least it works for me.
But as said above the Vortex is a killer wing machine!!
You don't need any rub or anything just naked wings, then I like to toss them into a mix of Franks Buffalo wing sauce & melted butter.
Al

You don't need any rub or anything just naked wings, then I like to toss them into a mix of Franks Buffalo wing sauce & melted butter.
Al
Al, isn't Franks Hot Sauce and butter the original "Buffalo Wings"??

Also, as to the corn starch, do you just dust the skin all over with it, or shake them in it? Then let them dry in the refer?

Wings
- started with whole wings, removed the tips and separated
- hit with the 1:1 ratio of kosher salt and baking powder, and then into the fridge for about an hour and half
- seasoned with the same “Georgia Yard Bird” rub
- on the Traeger for about 1 hour
- 30 minutes at 275*
- 30 minutes at 325*

illini40, what does the baking powder do for you??

Also, as to the corn starch, do you just dust the skin all over with it, or shake them in it? Then let them dry in the refer?

Yes the Buffalo wing sauce has butter in it, but I like to add more.
It doesn't seem to taste quite as good when I just use Frank's original hot sauce & butter.
So I started using the Buffalo wing sauce & butter & like it better.
I dust the skin with the corn starch, then let them air dry in the fridge overnight.
Al

Those look great. Curious. What does the baking powder do for the chicken? Make it more crispy? I’ve never tried it

I use a flavor injector to inject the sauce (usually clarified butter and hot sauce) into the wing prior to smoking. I get the grill as hot as possible and put the wings onto it after removing from the smoker to crisp the skin.

Al

Thanks Al! I want to try the corn starch. I just saw a Malcom Reed YouTube video where he tried corn starch. He filled up a large ziploc and then dunked them in the bag.

illini40, what does the baking powder do for you??

My understanding is that the baking powder helps dry out the skin (by adjusting the pH level), that should help the skin crisp. I have not noticed a massive difference, but it sure doesn’t hurt. In my experience, letting the chicken air dry in the fridge overnight seems to be one of the best things to do.

Those look great. Curious. What does the baking powder do for the chicken? Make it more crispy? I’ve never tried it

Thank you! Yes - it is intended to help the skin crisp up. See my response above.

I use a flavor injector to inject the sauce (usually clarified butter and hot sauce) into the wing prior to smoking. I get the grill as hot as possible and put the wings onto it after removing from the smoker to crisp the skin.

I’ve never tried injecting. How much injection do you actually get in each wing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky