What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Until December I worked in IT for local government. I decided to take a bit of a break so I'm... Well not retired I guess but between engagements and trying to enjoy life before I decide whether I want a career change or just find another IT job. The wife is well paid and seems happy to indulge me for a little while at least.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I am a retired Registered Nurse.  The last 24 years I worked out of my house doing Worker's Compensation Case Management.  Didn't plan on retiring so soon {65}, but the chemo and radiation knocked me down and out.  Fortunately, we were prepared... 

Wow, everybody really likes to talk about their work. Must be mostly GUYS, right?  Me, I don't do nuttin anymore.  Retired and pushing 70 this year.  The wife (of 50 years) and I moved to MEXICO eight years ago and we're toughing it out down here on "the Baja".  

The last 20 years of my honest  working life I was in the tech. world of the silicon valley. I was very fortunate to be in on the upswing of the computer industry and worked as a hired gun in various big outfits there doing long term software projects. Prior to the tech. stuff I did fine woodworking and old house restoration. I've always had my hand in the building trades and was able to keep some of my more important wood tools, even while working in "the valley." Still use 'em here in Todos Santos.  I make and sell wooden bowls here, along with some really good jerky. One of my best selling jerky flavors is called The Oregano Monster.  

Hi all! New here, and new to smoking (just cooked my first chicken on Sunday)

I am an automotive technician (and I am looking on my exit strategy).  I love to cook, and this was the next step.  I have a monster garden and grow a lot of veggies, no animals yet, but one day I would love to homestead.

Hobbies are dirtbikes, gardening, and cooking, and the autos pay for it all.

Nice to meet you all!

John

Swing on over to Roll call and introduce yourself, Let the crowd meet you. 

Hello and welcome to SMF from the Great white North  
canada-flag-68.gif
. Browse the forums and ask lots of questions, get involved. There is a an amazing amount of info, recipes and knowledge here that are second to none. Enjoy good luck and share your experiences.  

Swing on over to Roll call and introduce yourself, Let the crowd meet you. 

Hello and welcome to SMF from the Great white North  
canada-flag-68.gif
. Browse the forums and ask lots of questions, get involved. There is a an amazing amount of info, recipes and knowledge here that are second to none. Enjoy good luck and share your experiences.  
Hello AB, I was in there on Sunday and I would have introduced myself, but I didn't see a sticky and didn't want to start a new thread just for me.

I look forward to the knowledge here and trying many different things.  

Thanks,

John

Well, I'm new here. Just posted an intro thread in the roll call a lil while ago. I live in NC and work in the NASCAR racing industry. I am a metal fabricator and welder. I have been in this industry for nearly 20 years. I was over the wall pit crew for about 13 years. But age caught up with me as will to us all. I loved pitting the cars and traveling, but I am enjoying being at home now and spending time with my family and loved ones that I've missed over the years.

I'd like to extend a huge thank you and give respect to any and all of the military and law enforcement men and women who have and will eventually post here. Your courage and sacrifices should be honored by us all.

BC

Reactions: crazymoon
Hi I'm new to the forum , and this will be my first post
What a perfect way to introduce myself! Lol
I'm 56 years young and have been bbq'ing since I was a kid. As for my occupation, I currently work for caltrans as an equipment operator. I owned and operated my own trucking company for 15 years. I sold it 10 years ago, and went into BBQ catering full time I built all of my own equipment ( I love to weld)
Built my own grills , smokers, wash cabinets, you get the picture. It was a blast I had a lot great adventures
And met a lot of great people. Now I just do an occasional private party and lots of back yard cooks.
I'm having a great life so far !

Hi I'm new to the forum , and this will be my first post
What a perfect way to introduce myself! Lol
I'm 56 years young and have been bbq'ing since I was a kid. As for my occupation, I currently work for caltrans as an equipment operator. I owned and operated my own trucking company for 15 years. I sold it 10 years ago, and went into BBQ catering full time I built all of my own equipment ( I love to weld)
Built my own grills , smokers, wash cabinets, you get the picture. It was a blast I had a lot great adventures
And met a lot of great people. Now I just do an occasional private party and lots of back yard cooks.
I'm having a great life so far !
welcome1.gif
  Bbqbro. Sounds like you are very accomplished, Glad to have you here, You should stop over at Roll call and introduce yourself to everyone, It is always great to have more knowledge and exp. in our community, IMO there is no better forum for this kind of info and help. Charlie

J.Ster - You asked why we moved to Mex.  Well, living in Calif. all my life I have always liked Mexican people.  I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and my family went to the classic tourist places in Mexico on several family vacations. Over the years I worked with a lot of Spanish speakers and everybody seemed very friendly and respectful.  

We took a trip to Loreto, on the Sea of Cortez (Baja Peninsula) 10 years ago for Christmas and read about the little town of Todos Santos, on the Pacific side , down near the tip which is where Cabo is. A couple of years later we came back and investigated the town with some friends from Atlanta. I was 60, my wife 58 and we both had good work up in the SF Bay Area so there was no real NEED to go anywhere.  But what we found out was A) The land is cheap  B) Good labor is cheap (journeymen get $25-30US per day)  C) Living expenses and good medical is cheap  D) There's very good internet service E) It's not scary F) The people are Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent. (this is also the Scout Law) G) The weather is great H) We're 2-1/2 hours fly time from San Francisco Can't really say what it's like in other parts of Mexico, but it's really great here.

My wife found she could do her financial consulting work totally over the internet, and fly up 3-4 times per year to visit and do work with Calif. clients. All the above stuff plus we were increasingly un-thrilled about the spiritual/moral direction of our beloved country so we though we'd try it elsewhere.  We're still US citizens  and we've been very fortunate and it's worked wonderfully well for us. 

Thanks for asking.

Reactions: jakester
After almost 17 years in linen delivery I am now a supervisor at an aluminum manufacturing plant. Almost 2 years now. Although I am not a huge fan of 12 hour night shift it has afforded me the luxury of pursuing some old hobbies as well as this new one!

Lab tech for an gas fired infrared burner and space heating manufacturer, one day I'm going to build a smoker implementing an infrared burner

I'm an Automotive Technician at a dealership. Started out as a stereo/alarm installer 22 years ago got lucky and landed a job at a Ford dealership and worked my way up to Master Tech.

Katenboat hi I am 77 and still walking and talking ! Started as comm. fisherman on a seine boat,went into sales sold everything I could ,sold liquor dispensers for 20 years,chicken cooking machines. ,stared to paint run a crew for years ! Retired now have a part time time job.Had a little chief smoker for years for for salmon? Now have a Masterbuilt propane smoker ,have done pork steaks and spatchcock chicken and stuffed jalapeños peppers ,chicken took a long time ? Have lots to learn its been cold up here.Peter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky