What did I do wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

laughingpanther

Meat Mopper
Original poster
I smoked a Boston butt. I know bullet type smokers like the back of my hand, but am just learning how to use an offset barrel smoker. The bottom half of the bottom half of the butt was a good bit doner than the top. I opened the smoke stack all the way, was that too much? Would partially closing it give me more of a uniform doneness?

If you dont have deflectors for the heat you will have to rotate the meat every so often for even cooking. I had an offset for years and finally broke down and got a masterbuilt mes 340g electric smoker. I did great things with the offset but the heat management at the inlet is always an issue without something to deflect it away from your meat.

The problem with installing heat deflectors is the smoker is technically my brother's late birthday present. I know, kinda like Fred Flintstone buying Wilma a bowling ball for Christmas, but he may not agree with me modifying it. I'm going to get an Oklahoma Joe reverse flow Longhorn for myself down the road.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky