Want to use old bay just not sure where

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I basically use old bay in my low country boil. It contains Andouille sausage, baby potatoes, corn on the cob, cauliflower, and normally shrimp or crawdad. The old bay seasons everything up sausage and corn are unbelievable. So just experiment you'd be surprised.

1622175130544.png

Check out the middle sauce here from Mission BBQ. The Bay-B-Que's key ingredient is old bay and this one of my favorite sauces.

I have a pork rib and shoulder rub that uses Old Bay in the recipe. It's actually one of my favorites. The recipe is on an old computer, so will post later. I may have posted it here in SMF a while ago. Will check.

Yep. Posted it in 2017.

Ingredients
2 Tbs Dark brown sugar
2 Tbs Paprika, sweet or smoked, your preference
1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tbs Kosher salt
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs dry mustard
1/2 Tbs Fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients in the order shown. Stir with a spoon, breaking up any clumps. Store in an airtight container.

I use it on deviled eggs, corn on the cob, avocado, soups, stews and pasta even watermelon slices.

Old bay is a very versatile blend, and it really should be as widely as Lawry's. Unfortunately people just kind of shove it off as a seafood only kind of seasoning. I've tried it on pretty much every kind of meat and veggie on the grill, can't remember smoking with it, but I can't imagine getting poor results from it. It's also great sprinkled on fried foods as well.

I took 4 lb raw peanuts bag. 1/4 stick of butter and Old Bay and made some tasty beer nuts on the smoker awhile back.

Reactions: 912smoker
popcorn
potato chips
in the water when boiling potatoes
in the water when making rice
makes a good rub itself just IMO needs more black/white pepper and chiles

You can use it on just about anything scrambled eggs are great with it.

Stumbled across this just today. Old bay is hanging out in the rub.

Attachments

• 20210528_224824.jpg
    20210528_224824.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 29
Old Bay on Roasted/Smoked Chicken is Magical! Thirty years ago, a prep cook accidently put Old Bay on Chicken instead of Lawry's. I was skeptical but it turned out Better! Been using it since...

Yep. Posted it in 2017.

Ingredients
2 Tbs Dark brown sugar
2 Tbs Paprika, sweet or smoked, your preference
1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tbs Kosher salt
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs dry mustard
1/2 Tbs Fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients in the order shown. Stir with a spoon, breaking up any clumps. Store in an airtight container.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER! Gotta give it a try, but with reduced Salt...JJ

Reactions: noboundaries
Bloody Mary's
Yep, use it in the drink. Also take a lime and rub it around the rim of the glass and then coat the rim in Old Bay. Same principle as salt on the the rim of a margarita.

And you can make your Bloody Mary using this...
1622281482459.png

Any of the Old Bay varieties will make a great rub on chicken wings.
Absolutely. At the restaurant where we go to get wings, Old Bay is their "dry rub" flavor.

Reactions: ksblazer and PPG1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky