Using UDS without Charcoal basket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mshred

Original poster
May 14, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Im still in the process of finding expanded steel to construct my charcoal basket for my UDS, however the rest of the drum is ready to be seasoned....I was wondering, if I stuck a charcoal grate on the floor of the drum with some lit coals on top (similar to a kettle style grill), would that be ok to atleast season the drum until I get the basket made and ready for it? My concern is the inside sitting as bare metal accumulating rust while I wait to construct the charcoal basket.

Thanks!

Im still in the process of finding expanded steel to construct my charcoal basket for my UDS, however the rest of the drum is ready to be seasoned....I was wondering, if I stuck a charcoal grate on the floor of the drum with some lit coals on top (similar to a kettle style grill), would that be ok to atleast season the drum until I get the basket made and ready for it? My concern is the inside sitting as bare metal accumulating rust while I wait to construct the charcoal basket.

Thanks!
I would season it now,do a small cook at the same time no need to waste fuel.

Richie

Got the basket done so I think I'm good to go...now just need to figure out how high my basket should sit from bottom and the intakes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky